RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #1

Last week my wife found a squarehead screwhead on the entry steps...it was sheared off just below the head..didnt know where it fell from...no biggie?...WRONG! Today I noticed that on the door hinges that are screwed to the door, ALL of my screw heads on the bottom hinge were being held in place by the door gasket..all sheared off...also more than 1/2 of the middle hinge screws are the same way...so basically I only have the TOP hinge and small part of the middle hinge holding the door to the coach.....metal fatigue or gorilla on a driver??? Anyone else about to lose an entry door?????

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #2

Last week my wife found a squarehead screwhead on the entry steps...it was sheared off just below the head..didnt know where it fell from...no biggie?...WRONG! Today I noticed that on the door hinges that are screwed to the door, ALL of my screw heads on the bottom hinge were being held in place by the door gasket..all sheared off...also more than 1/2 of the middle hinge screws are the same way...so basically I only have the TOP hinge and small part of the middle hinge holding the door to the coach.....metal fatigue or gorilla on a driver??? Anyone else about to lose an entry door?????

Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could be door is binding on hinge popping off heads of screws. Will have to drill out and place some flathead stainless to hold.
Your door gasket maybe jamming between the door jam.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #4

possibly related to my failed air lock catch breaking recently? cause and effect? which came first OR>>>>>>coincidence???
Old 01-13-2007, 04:29 AM   #5

Same thing happend to me. Dealer replaced all hinge screws with stainless steel. Factory replaced door air latch. Our MH's must have come off the line the same day.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:31 AM   #6

You should check all of the exterior screws including the copartment doors, body panel and under the slides. I have had many break and loosen up during the first 6 months of use. Some of this is expected and some is just overtightening at the plant. When the factory workers are paid to comlete X number of units a day, they are most likely rushing through everything to just get the MH built.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 01-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #7

Hi Jerry...It does seem like one of us is a copy cat with these similar problems. Hopefully our lists won't compare to the poor folks with the Essex and new MAs...now THAT is a real BUMMER...all those Prevost wannabees
Old 01-13-2007, 06:19 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Though not a member of your group I read through most posts on the site. The problem was most likely caused by an improperly ajusted clutch on the screw gun. The fact that more than one person in the group has the problem makes me think someone ajusted their gun to get more speed. Happens all the time in the construction industry. Mike
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:48 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike, Your a member of irv2 your welcomed on this forum or any other on irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #10

Larry, we can compare lists sometime. Most of the problems I have experienced are related to the assembly of the house. If Newmar workers took a little more time and test drove the MH's before delivering them to the dealer, 95% of my problems would have been avoided. The overall design, engineering, quality and integrity of the construction is great. The ride is smooth, quiet and handles great.

I loved my former Revolution, but was disgusted with the quality of construction and quality of materials.

So far, the Spartan Mountain Master GT chassis has been awesome. Based on what I have been reading on these forums, I will keep my MH longer than planned. It is now BETTER than new!

Newmar Mountain Aire