Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #1

The forum has never been short on opinions and here is your chance to weigh in on my insanity. I am seriously considering moving from my most excellent Mountain Aire to a slightly older Newell.

I have just latched on to the way Newells and Prevosts drive and handle, and I don't like the generally over the top decoration that most converters use on the Prevost.

I am sure that some of you went through evaluation of the bus style coaches before you bought.

I'll say right off that storage is not an issue. I don't use the space in the basement, and I don't have plans to fulltime.

OK, bring it on.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #2

The forum has never been short on opinions and here is your chance to weigh in on my insanity. I am seriously considering moving from my most excellent Mountain Aire to a slightly older Newell.

I have just latched on to the way Newells and Prevosts drive and handle, and I don't like the generally over the top decoration that most converters use on the Prevost.

I am sure that some of you went through evaluation of the bus style coaches before you bought.

I'll say right off that storage is not an issue. I don't use the space in the basement, and I don't have plans to fulltime.

OK, bring it on.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Go for it.

How's that?

Ya gotta please yourself.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Wow....where to start.

Series 60 Detroit has same torque as the Cummins 600, so no issue there...
Newell has mid door, same as my LADB which I DEARLY LOVE the mid door....no noise up front and MOUNDS more room for the passenger.

Newell doesn't have Comfort Drive, which you could get even with a "leftover" '07....worth the money hands down as an option.

It's funny, but I looked HARD at a Prevost conversion and have done so for many years.
I've said on these forums many many times, my friend and neighbor is a past president of the Marathon Owner's Club and currently an H345 owner, so I've been getting all the comparisons between our coaches.

Funny to say this, but most first time Prevost owners do it for the conversion-ability, but Newmar will do a LOT with an Essex or King Aire as far as converting or conforming to your wishes...

I'll write more, but I've been traveling all day and I'm HUNGRY!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
......I'll write more, but I've been traveling all day and I'm HUNGRY!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too! What's for dinner????

Leg pull......

Best to ya Bob, - Glenn
Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The Newells have that cool tag axle steering!! Seriously, I sure have gotten spoiled by the comfort steer. I don't think I will buy another coach without it. We looked at one at the Tampa supershow. We couldn't find a loyout we liked which was nice since I didn't want to spend that much money on something with wheels.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #7

Newell!!! Actually we would buy the floor plan we liked regardless of manufacturer.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Newells have that cool tag axle steering!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Check out this fact. In reading information on the hot new crossover vehicles, i.e. Saturn Outlook, this 17 foot vehicle has a turning radius of 40 feet. A Newell with the steering tag is a 45 foot coach with a 37 foot turning radius. It is hard to argue against the fact that this is a great advantage in manuvering. Comfort Drive alone is not enough to warrant not getting the upscale coach.

I would not hesitate for a minute on a Newell. On our recent trip to Colorado, there were at least four Newells at any given time in the campground. I spent some time with the owners learning and observing about the Newells. Most owners were not into the "flash and glitter" of some of some other conversion rigs there. They appreciated the four slides and greater living space of the Newell as opposed to the two slides on the average Prevost. One owner had a brand new Newell on his first excursion out and he had owned four Prevosts previously, all Marathons. Had nothing to say bad about them, but wanted to try a Newell and thought he would like it immensely.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:14 AM   #9

For what it is worth, I have studied the Newell coaches for quite a few years and will admit that I love their style, amenities, room, layouts, etc. However,I have not "pulled the trigger" because of the negatives I continue to hear.
1. the coaches (most always) have to go back to the factory for service because there is not a very good service network established.
2.the proprietary chassis is difficult to service (other than at the factory) unlike Prevosts that have hundreds of service centers throughout the country.
3.RV dealers (generally) will not take one of the Newells in trade because they "don't know how to price them" (unlike other coaches such as Newmar, Monaco etc) and because of this fact, once you buy a Newell you will have to stay with them- because only Newell will take them in trade. I have been told by many dealers and wholesalers that Newell will not even buy back their own coaches, but will only take them if you trade. Marathon, Liberty and others will not take them in trade as well.
I think if you ask people who deal in the high end market, you will hear these same comments over and over.
I personally would not like to spend that kind of money on a coach that has a very, very, limited market as that will only drive used prices downward. The "depreciation hit" on their new coaches is really bad I am told! Much higher that Marathon, Liberty and even most higher volume production coaches.
Having said all of this, however, as long as you have evaluated the "potential risks" Go For It!- Life is short, enjoy it while you can!
TaxedtoDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:17 AM   #10

Hey guys,

I said an older Newell. I don't have the jack for a new one.

Taxed made some good observations about resale. I hope I am buying a coach that I will keep for an extended time.

Thanks for you insights.

R

Old 09-08-2007, 03:37 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I met a guy with a '96 Newell that had the original Imron paint, and the whole rig looked great.

He is a single fulltimer, and didn't have a whole lot of stuff in the MH.

However, he was 2,000# overweight on the front axle, with no way to reduce that problem.

I would be very cautious on buying an older rig without knowing the wheel weights.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:32 AM   #12

I don't think anyone buying a Newell is concerned with resale or having to go to the factory for repairs, etc.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Just to see where this comparison may also lead, would you give us a "ballpark" idea of the price range of the preowned Newell?

There are some '07 Essex and/or MADP's on dealer lots that could very well be had for a GREAT discount.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #14

From The Newell Home Page:
Fall Specials
1998-$340,000
1998-$315,000
2000-$392,000
2001-$473,000
2002-$587,000
2002-$592,000
TaxedtoDeath is offline   Reply With Quote