Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Lost Pulling Power

Leaving the lake and I lost pulling power. I drained the water out of the water/fuel filter behind the back bumper and it seen to run fine for a few miles before it lost pulling power again. I'm not able to find the 2nd fuel filter and I've been told that I need to drain the water out of both. Any help would be appreciated and I'm not even sure this is my problem. 1998 Dutch Star Newmar with a Straight line or chassis and a 300 horsepower Cummins diesel pusher

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #2

Your engine is a C series Cummins and the problem is most likely the fuel filters with water in them. You should have 2 fuel filters with the 2nd smaller fuel filter above starter and hard to get. If you have a lot of water in fuel tank you should remove plug in bottom of tank until diesel fuel comes out and no water. You will need to get some clean diesel fuel to fill both new fuel filter. Might explore how this water got in fuel tank. Should buy a double set of fuel filters since they may need to be changed again until water is out of fuel tank and filters.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Lost Pulling Power

On our 1999 madp when our filters clog due to contamination I change the one in the battery bay first and that fixes the issue. In our case (Cummins 330 ISC with common rail fuel line and lift pump) we get a check engine light when going up grades is our signal to change the filter, then problem fixed. We use Alge-x additive when sitting for a month or more and always sit with a full tank. No water/ alge issues in 85k miles. When we are going by Spartan in Michigan, we have them change the second (primary) filter at the engine once every 2 years. The engine filter is the one with the electronic water sensor cable, which we never see a fault for. Good luck and hope its something simple like a filter change.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
On our 1999 madp when our filters clog due to contamination I change the one in the battery bay first and that fixes the issue. In our case (Cummins 330 ISC with common rail fuel line and lift pump) we get a check engine light when going up grades is our signal to change the filter, then problem fixed. We use Alge-x additive when sitting for a month or more and always sit with a full tank. No water/ alge issues in 85k miles. When we are going by Spartan in Michigan, we have them change the second (primary) filter at the engine once every 2 years. The engine filter is the one with the electronic water sensor cable, which we never see a fault for. Good luck and hope its something simple like a filter change.

Same thing happened to us leaving Florida last year. Drained water, but not much improvement. Changed filter completely even though it looked okay, power came back to normal. Later cut filter open, lots of black almost power like sediment in media. Now carry two Fuel/Water separator at all times. Had fuel just before, bad fuel/sediment agitated/algae?? Not sure, problem hasn't repeated. Still change filter every year to be safe.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Water alone will not diminish your power. It will destroy your injectors if it riches them. Most likely you have fuel restriction problem. It could be dirty filter due to bacteria sludge in the tank, kinked hose, hose interior liner collapsing, air leak etc.
I had a case on the boat. Loosing power at the worst times in storm. Found the the builder had installed a screen on the end of the pick up tube inside the tank, where no one can see or clean it.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:12 AM   #6

You may want to, if you haven't already, read: The Tale of the $3,668 Hidden and Undocumented Fuel Filter/Strainer through this post.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Another reminder to use high volume fuel location.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
You may want to, if you haven't already, read: The Tale of the $3,668 Hidden and Undocumented Fuel Filter/Strainer through this post.
Do you have a link or am I missing something hidden in the text?
Bringing her back to her glory.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Do you have a link or am I missing something hidden in the text?
Sorry Rick, please try this link: The Tale of the $3,668 Hidden and Undocumented Fuel Filter/Strainer

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Is this it?
So I followed a fuel line from the white water separator to this. It's upside down and when I pulled the bolt out it's covered in oil. Without breaking the seal i replaced the bolt and took a pic. It's possibly I didn't trace the correct hose but I don't think so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170826_095641.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	174430  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My brother had a loss of power issue on a 2006 CAT driven coach. Mechanics found two blown fuel injectors and bad HUEI pump. He made it home on 4 cylinders somehow.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #12

Lost Pulling Power

My brother had a lost of power and after over $3,000 in "repairs" it was a screen just before the injector pump. The Cummings shop told him not suck screen had ever been used. Took the screen out and cleaned it and put it back in and problem solved
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Follow up. I had found the main fuel filter, it was relocated to the back of the engine. I had to raise my bed up and hang upside down to get to it. After replacing it and the water separator it still dindnt solve the problem. I then found a kinked fuel line which didn't make sense anyways but I fixed it and still didn't solve the problem. The problem was a blown Turbo Boost hose had lost its clamp. Of course my dad who's a retired truck driver walks up and sticks his head in there and spots it.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejamjr View Post
Follow up. I had found the main fuel filter, it was relocated to the back of the engine. I had to raise my bed up and hang upside down to get to it. After replacing it and the water separator it still dindnt solve the problem. I then found a kinked fuel line which didn't make sense anyways but I fixed it and still didn't solve the problem. The problem was a blown Turbo Boost hose had lost its clamp. Of course my dad who's a retired truck driver walks up and sticks his head in there and spots it.
Sweet! Buy your dad a steak dinner. Way cheaper than a shop would have charged to find it.

Tags
power