RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
This may sound weird, but we were told to make sure you “slam” the entry door. That actually made a difference. If you just “close” it, it squeaks and rattles. But if you shut it hard....quiet.
We do the same. Interesting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I took a video of some of mine, i.e. my driver's side MCD shade sounded like a machine gun. They added a bracket and secured it better. The front two shades can also be a problem, sometimes lowering them slightly will help.

However, you may have TIRE issues such as out of round (need runouts checked) and two of my tires were actually so out of round they were replaced.

The first year was nearly painful with identifying issues and then of course getting them fixed, all normal shake down I'm sure but I can tell you it's such a joy now with all of that stuff taken care of, noises, rattles, tires, etc.
What does it mean to check runouts?

DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar JK View Post
What does it mean to check runouts?

I’m no tire expert but I think it’s the roundness.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Hawkeye".....I eliminated that cylinder rattle with a simple fix. The cylinder is designed to be free moving at the top and consequently rattles on certain roads. I took a piece of rubber hose, about the size of windshield washer hose, inserted a tie wrap inside the hose, wrapped it around the gap at the top of the cylinder where it attaches and tightened the tie wrap. It centers the cylinder and prevents it from moving back and forth without affecting operation.
Don, my rattle seems to be coming from the small hydraulic lines vibrating on the side of the cylinder about a foot down from the top. It was driving me nuts, so we pulled over and stuffed some pipe insulation foam in there and that helped for a while. The large spring clamp works better but looks like a cluster and I don't want to forget it when pushing the slide out.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #19

Checking a tire for out of roundness is easy if you can raise the tire off the ground. Raise the tire of the ground about a inch and then place a item like a piece of 2X4 a 1/4 of inch from the tire. When you spin the tire around the gap between the tire and the 2X4 shouldn't change or maybe 1/16 pf a inch. If the gap gets larger and smaller as the tire rotates that tire is out of round and either needs to be replaced or maybe remounted on the rim. Checking the rear is harder but the front tires be out of round effects the ride a lot more.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
It took us a good 6 months to eliminate all the rattles and squeaks on our 4018 DS. The worst squeaks were coming from the Windows, mostly the passenger cabin window. It took multiple tests until we finally silenced them. I used gaffer tape around the inside of the window openings ( after you take out the frame). The problem was the Styrofoam rubbing against the window frame.
In addition we used lots of felt patches all over. It's s trial and error process to find these.
Our coach is very quiet now.
When you say "take out the frame" ...do you mean you literally removed the window? Is that hard?

If that alleviated a lot of squeaks, Newmar should use that tape in the assembly process
Old 04-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Just remove the inner window frame, not the window!
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Just remove the inner window frame, not the window!
OK I"m away from the coach now. I"ll check that when I get back to it in several weeks. Thanks ... sounds like a good suggestion

Tags
dutch star