Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here is my fi that solved this issue. Your door post floats so if the door is a little out of line it will still close. If you grab that door post, you can move it around with your hand. I found wrapping the electrical tape around the post helped for a day or so.

So here's what I did. I removed the door post, unscrew like you would a bolt. When removed, it has a large washer as part of the post, about 2" in diameter. I took a piece of plastic....the white lid to a clear plastic storage container and cut out a matching washer to the one attached to the door post. I reinstalled the door post with the new plastic washer. The door post still floated, but not as easily. That was four years ago and my door doesn't rattle or squeak.

Keep in mind that Newmar uses a two position front door. When you close the front door while parked and camping, you shut it moderately to the first stop. If you look closely, that first stop leaves the door, not quite flush with the door frame. When you're travelling, the door must be closed with a much firmer pull to get it to the second latch position, which keeps it quiet during travel.

Don when you say door post, are you referring to the male portion of the latch?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:48 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, post that sticks out of the door frame.....the one you catch your pants on as you exit....at least I do.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stuart

Here are a couple "door squeak" items I've found on my 2015 Ventana.

- I have a roller shade attached to the screen door. I found it will rattle / squeak when in the down / rolled up position. I tuck the top portion of the screen into the roller case while driving & it seems to help.

- The door stop mechanism on top of the door has also been a source of squeaks & rattles. I've used the pile portion of Velcro to enhance the padding where the door stop sits when the door is closed. I've also created multi layer Velcro "pad" that "captures" the door stop mechanism when the door is closed. This "pad" helps prevent the door stop mechanism from moving around as we drive.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
We tried several fixes on our 2016 Bay Star. The electrical tape around the post worked for us, after almost an entire season of the squeaky door driving us crazy. Now that the squeak has been quieted, we notice and are fixing additional rattles! The tape wears away and needs to be replaced periodically. I am intrigued by adding a plastic washer and may try that next as a more permanent solution.
nseaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I did the tape around the door post and it solved my issue, but I wanted something more permanent. Trust me, I'm a nut about squeaks and noise. The plastic washer behind the door post, solved the squeaky door permanently, no need for adding tape every few trips.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #20

As others said in our Ventana if we didn't slam the door hard enough it would be very noisy. Also we had the hand rail along the entry steps just inside the coach made a horrible squawking noise that we could never permanently get rid of. That also sounded like it was the door at first. Fortunately the MA hasn't had either one of those noises. Good luck on finding a solution to yours.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #21

Dutch Star Don’s electrical tape fix did the trick for us (see picture below; I also put a wrap on the post itself). I don’t know if I got it quite right, but the effect was a quiet door for today’s trip. Thanks Don—now I can focus on the other squeaks/rattles.....can you send a picture of your more permanent plastic washer fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3765C1CF-5CA3-4328-92CC-9D2CFE100DF3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	218681  
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Do you find to close your door all of the way you need to slam it?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #23

I have not been able to see any difference when closing the door. Pushing it shut or slamming it shut, both seem the same to me. Perhaps my push is more of a slam, but I have not been able to differentiate two closing positions on our door.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"LeslieGary".....I tried the tape on one trip, saw it solved the issue and then installed the washer. In your photo, take a crescent wrench or wrench that fits, 3/4" or 7/8" (I forget). Remove that stud (bolt) with the metal washer attached. Once removed, find some plastic material, even a placemat would work and cut out a plastic washer that matches the meta washer. It can even big a little bigger than the metal washer. Install the plastic washer and reinstall the bolt. The washer slows down the movement of the bolt and prevents the rattles.

I was just thinking, Newmar really needs to make a removable section of the door frame at the latch, then cover it with a nice decorative plate. It would save them thousands in repair costs, by not having to remove the wooden door frame.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
"LeslieGary".....I tried the tape on one trip, saw it solved the issue and then installed the washer. In your photo, take a crescent wrench or wrench that fits, 3/4" or 7/8" (I forget). Remove that stud (bolt) with the metal washer attached. Once removed, find some plastic material, even a placemat would work and cut out a plastic washer that matches the meta washer. It can even big a little bigger than the metal washer. Install the plastic washer and reinstall the bolt. The washer slows down the movement of the bolt and prevents the rattles.

I was just thinking, Newmar really needs to make a removable section of the door frame at the latch, then cover it with a nice decorative plate. It would save them thousands in repair costs, by not having to remove the wooden door frame.

The bolt is 5/8”
Old 09-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #26

Quote:

OP here...

THANKS ALL for your suggestions!

I went out to the airplane hangar yesterday and thought I would start with the easiest "fixes".

Taped the post and slammed the door (although I don't see where/how it double latches?) and took the coach for a ride. The highway wasn't all that rough, but I didn't hear any squeaking coming from the door...

Fingers crossed that this was it and will also add the plastic washer fix if I find the annoying noise problem is solved on our next trip.

Thanks again for all the responses and suggestions!

p.s. I too don't like rattles. Can handle the house shake, but the door noise...it was or is awful
TwinDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you shut the door normal without slamming note the relationship to the door and jamb. Now slam the door putting pressure on the door in the latch area, look at the door and jamb now should be in more
Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
If you shut the door normal without slamming note the relationship to the door and jamb. Now slam the door putting pressure on the door in the latch area, look at the door and jamb now should be in more

Stuart, thank you...I'll try that.
TwinDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door