Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #1

Loud bang

So my bedroom slide hesitated mid stream when extending, but kept on going thinking maybe I let off the button.
Everything came in normal until the last second and there was a pretty Big Bang. Extended fine next time, retract same Big Bang at the last instant. Everything appears aligned from outside.
Noise sounds like it is coming from floor level. 2014 DS 3736
Any thoughts? Thank you!
cliffj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

Something is hanging up.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Have you tried looking at it when extending the slide? That sound is not normal.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Y, agree with TonyDi, I wouldn't cycle the slides too much until you know what's going on. Something for sure isn't right and needs to be addressed.

Bring the slide in until BEFORE you would expect to hear the pop and take a look outside and see if the gaps are aligned and that there is clearance between the edges of the slide and the RV body. If not - is the RV level? Level it then see how the gaps are. The pop might be the side of the slide "popping" into place as it retracts.

If the gaps look like there is clearance, is the slide mechanism under the bed? If so, I would raise the bed and while carefully watching the mechanism, move the slide out keeping all senses open waiting for the noise to see where it's coming from. Or, see that it is bounding up and once that is detected, stop moving the slide to minimize any damage.
Let someone look outside while you look inside while retracting.

Post back what you see / hear / feel.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #5

The motor that drives the cog wheel to extend/retract the BR slide in my New Aire was bolted down too tight (should have been shimmed to make the alignment correct), and thus put tremendous stress on the cog wheel shaft attached to the motor. After just a few cycles there was a very loud bang and the slide ceased working...took off the panels under the bed to access the slide mechanism and discovered the shaft between the motor and the cog wheel literally shattered from the out-of-alignment stress.

Newmar was great. Realizing I was adept at diagnosing the problem and upon my advising them I was mechanically inclined and had all the necessary tools, they overnighted me the shaft mechanism and then spent time on the phone to provide me some special techniques to attach the shaft to the motor. Only when I got everything reassembled and ready to re-bolt the motor to its mount did I discover there was about 3/16" space between the motor base and the mounting bracket. Bolting it down the way it had been would only have resulted in the same failure, so the fix was to add shims under the motor base when bolting it back down. All works fine now, and no more noises.

Based on my experience, maybe you should check either the motor mount alignment or if the mounting bolts are not properly tightened. Hope you can solve the problem!
Johnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check the slide motor housing bolts. This is a known issue. Search this site for slide motor bolts.

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #7

Problem solved. All 4 bolts were loose. Thanks everyone
Old 08-31-2018, 04:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
After reading so many posts here about slide motor bolts tightening them every few months has become a SOP for me now and each time there is some loosening to be taken up
Old 08-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

Problem solved. All 4 bolts were loose. Thanks everyone
Old 09-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
After reading so many posts here about slide motor bolts tightening them every few months has become a SOP for me now and each time there is some loosening to be taken up

I have one word for you... BLUE LOCTITE
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnidaho View Post
The motor that drives the cog wheel to extend/retract the BR slide in my New Aire was bolted down too tight (should have been shimmed to make the alignment correct), and thus put tremendous stress on the cog wheel shaft attached to the motor. After just a few cycles there was a very loud bang and the slide ceased working...took off the panels under the bed to access the slide mechanism and discovered the shaft between the motor and the cog wheel literally shattered from the out-of-alignment stress.

Newmar was great. Realizing I was adept at diagnosing the problem and upon my advising them I was mechanically inclined and had all the necessary tools, they overnighted me the shaft mechanism and then spent time on the phone to provide me some special techniques to attach the shaft to the motor. Only when I got everything reassembled and ready to re-bolt the motor to its mount did I discover there was about 3/16" space between the motor base and the mounting bracket. Bolting it down the way it had been would only have resulted in the same failure, so the fix was to add shims under the motor base when bolting it back down. All works fine now, and no more noises.

Based on my experience, maybe you should check either the motor mount alignment or if the mounting bolts are not properly tightened. Hope you can solve the problem!
Good thing you have super hero talents in diagnosing and repairing things. Newmar was very fortunate to have you on the job.

Keep up the good work.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote