RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2006, 03:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the "barko" (it's a dog) lounger chair right behind the passenger seat on my rig. I have not been able to find a lever or button that will secure the rocking function while we are in motion. Normally, it is just Sue and I in the rig so occupancy by a person while in motion is not really an issue.

However, it makes noise and the extra motion must cause unecessary wear and tear? The rotation lock works very well it is only the rocker motion that I can't lock.

I have looked at this thing every time we have gone out, but still the only solution that I have found is a bungee cord.

Anybody know what's up with that?

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2006, 03:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the "barko" (it's a dog) lounger chair right behind the passenger seat on my rig. I have not been able to find a lever or button that will secure the rocking function while we are in motion. Normally, it is just Sue and I in the rig so occupancy by a person while in motion is not really an issue.

However, it makes noise and the extra motion must cause unecessary wear and tear? The rotation lock works very well it is only the rocker motion that I can't lock.

I have looked at this thing every time we have gone out, but still the only solution that I have found is a bungee cord.

Anybody know what's up with that?

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
Old 09-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by park_ridge_dave:

Anybody know what's up with that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be interested in responses to this question. I have a Flexsteel recliner / rocker which does the same thing. I have looked everywhere and cannot find a lock to stop the rocking chair motion while on the road.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Didn't you know we have a ghost friend from Newmar sitting in that rocker.
Well anyhow have the same rocker, I will look into it for you have just returned from camping and beat. Will check in morning I think I put a wood shim in the others I have had but this chair maybe different.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #5

Thanks 007. I thought you might have the answer since you like to modify your MH.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you remember the rubber door stop, place a velcro strap to it with screw and wedge in rocker portion of chair and velcro around the metal support of chair. Its easy to get at from stair well. I always have someone in chair these days rocking to sleep.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #7

I think we've plowed this furrow before... do a search on "Flexsteel recliner rocker lock" and you'll find the earlier thread.

If we're talking Flexsteel, it seems that there are two different locking arrangements: one's an actual lever-actuated lock, the other is a cheesy sort of wedge that keeps the recliner from moving when slid all the way back on its tracks. I'm in the latter category, and have the parts, but haven't fooled with it yet. Am waiting for the day when I dismount the chair and rotate it 90 degrees so that the rotational lock is dead ahead, instead of facing to the left. I have a set of parts for a recliner in the former category, if your recliner is of that design.

Look under your recliner and find the build ticket stuck in the seat springs, then call Flexsteel and see what you can find out about it.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #8

The solution is to get rid of it and go to a European Recliner and Ottoman. We did that, works great and the recliner can be relocated as we wish. There are several brands on the market at much less cost than the factory intalled units. We don't secure it going down the road but push it back against the wall and have had no problems with it. Much more comfortable than the old Flexsteel back killer.

2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
timz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timz61:
The solution is to get rid of it and go to a European Recliner and Ottoman. We did that, works great and the recliner can be relocated as we wish. &lt;snip&gt;. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only downside to that is that the Euro Recliner can't be used to sit in while the coach is in motion because it's unrestrained and has no seat belts. Besides, I'd hate to have something like that flying through the cabin in case of a collision.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mahlon:
I think we've plowed this furrow before... do a search on "Flexsteel recliner rocker lock" and you'll find the earlier thread.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mahlon:

Got it! Much obliged!

I also feel That "everything old is New again" Your advice did bear repeating for us newbies.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #11

I thought that through and decided that no one would want to sit in the flexsteel chair either going down the road if it could not be secured. We have seating for 3 on the couch with seat belts if the need arises. As for the thing flying around, we have made a couple of hard stops and it hasn't moved and if we hit something hard enough to send it flying, that will be the least of our problems. There are also some clamping systems available for the rim that sits on the floor that could be used to secure it. In the meantime, I don't have to listen to my wife bellyaching about the **** thing rocking going down the road.

2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
timz61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">&lt;snip&gt; In the meantime, I don't have to listen to my wife bellyaching about the **** thing rocking going down the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now THAT'S what I call a Compelling Reason!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #13

On the side of the chair there are two latches. One is for the swivel and the other one is the lock. I can't remember which one, however, while sitting in the chair pull the latch out and scoot or push backward and the chair will lock. There will be some play in the seat but it will not rock as much.
jaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:35 AM   #14

On the Scottsdale there are parts Newmar left out. I had our's looked at by the Flexsteel factory in Dubuque, they put the parst in and I now have no rocking. &lt; G &gt;

Does not realy lock but more of a slide on to a bolt Head. This still lets it rock forward some. I have not driven far yet, but it looks better than it was.

Flexsteel Part list:

1, 3448LC Clamp
1, 3448RL Lock
2, 91094 Screws with nut

2003 Newmar Scottsdale 3257
Ron - 33' Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote