Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

Love Bugs

Hello All,

Returning back to CT from our maiden voyage to Fl in our was new, now covered in Love Bugs, Ventana 4369.

I'm ok with most anything, but these darn little black bugs mate in the air and made a real mess of the front of our new RV. At least they died having fun.

So has anyone come across a good cleaner to loosen all the sexual mojo, aka bug guts, from my front area?

Thanks
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #2

Just don't leave them on the coach....they will be there for ever.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #3

Message to Steve

An old timer told me some years ago to soap down the love bugs with no tears shampoo (Johnson &Johnson ). Let it set and soak it several times and you'll see them just rinse off!! We were coated and it worked for us. I now carry a bottle of "no tears" for just those occasions. DO NOT LET THEM BAKE IN THE SUN FOR TOO LONG...OR THEY WILL MAR THE FINISH. Best of luck and congrats on your MH.
Jonnyboy
Old 05-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

Congrats on your new Ventana 4369, I really like that model.

Will not help you now but always keep a fresh wax job on front of coach to help with bug removal. Wax helps from them staining the paint and not stick so well. Remove any bugs daily. Darn those Lovebugs.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

Luckily it has the 3m clear film over the entire front area and I difinatly will be cleaning, will try the no tears soap and waxing as soon as I get home to CT.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
First thing...ya gotta pre-treat with something to keep 'em from sticking so well, like Plexus, a spray wax, etc. Then clean those things off EVERY evening...DO NOT wait 'till the next day. I have an abrasive pad I got at an RV Show, designed specifically for those critters. One chemical I like is " Bug Gutz", but there are a number of them on the market. This new coach came with a hot water spigot up front next to the generator- a bit of hot/warm water works wonders on them. Soon as I get a bit more time I plan on adding a small power washer up there next to the generator.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
First thing...ya gotta pre-treat with something to keep 'em from sticking so well, like Plexus, a spray wax, etc. Then clean those things off EVERY evening...DO NOT wait 'till the next day. I have an abrasive pad I got at an RV Show, designed specifically for those critters. One chemical I like is " Bug Gutz", but there are a number of them on the market. This new coach came with a hot water spigot up front next to the generator- a bit of hot/warm water works wonders on them. Soon as I get a bit more time I plan on adding a small power washer up there next to the generator.

Is the hot water spigot a factory item? That is the first I have heard of this option, which seems really smart! I am going to look at mine to see if I can add that option. Should be simple if I can find a place to run the pex pipe.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #8

Wet towels, wet towels , wet towels and then a good washdown.

Coming back thru Arcadia, south of Lake Okochobee Easter weekend we hit more than I have ever seen.

Could not even see thru the windshield and had to pull-over twice.

All, off now...all is well.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, I thought I got 'em all when I went through there a couple weeks ago. guess they must be good at reproducing....ya think?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
40 years ago, a gas station attendant said to simply wash them off with baking soda. Wet the surface, then sprinkle on basking soda. Wipe until it makes a pasty haze. Let it sit for several minutes then just wash off and rinse. The bugs are very acidic, and the baking soda neutralizes the acid.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
redbaron73......People always made fun of me for all the gadgets I added to my Monaco Diplomat over the 8 years I owned. In just the short time I've been on this forum I realize that you're to Newmar what I was to Monaco.

I'm guessing about it will be about a month before you have hot water plumbed to the generator.

I had read a previous post where "slabman" had discussed his hot water at the generator. The propeller on my beanie immediately started spinning. I decided not to run the line to the front, but instead, I removed the outside shower and converted it to the hot and cold petcocks like others had done. I have one of those recoiling "As Seen on TV" hoses set up to quickly rinse the nose of the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wet dryer sheet wet rub on then hose off
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:50 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Steve direct from the Diamond Shield website:
"DO NOT USE HARSH OR ABRASIVE CLEANERS OR DETERGENTS.

We do not recommend ANY of the dry wash types of cleaners as they are intended for non-porous surfaces, paint protection films are a porous material. Car wash type soap is recommended. Bugs should be washed off ASAP. One bug cleaner we recommend is Bug Magic, but any similar product should work just as well.

Use EXTREME care if using a pressure washer, too high of a pressure or misuse of pressure washer may cut or tear the film. Pressure washer damage IS NOT covered under Diamond Shield’s warranty. The application of ANY products over Diamond Shield i.e vinyl bras, banners, etc. will void the Diamond Shield warranty.

Diamond Shield recommends the use of 303 Aerospace Protectant™, especially before any trips or Protect All (Protect All - Home Page) both of these products replenish and provide UV screening protection, repel dust, soiling and staining, and should be applied every time you clean the front of your auto/truck/rv/etc. For minor scuffs we recommend the NOVUS line of products. Waxing of your coach is recommended at least 3-4 times/year.

Prior to putting your auto/truck/rv/etc. in storage, Diamond Shield Nano-Fusion Paint Protection Film should be cleaned and waxed. We recommend Mothers or Maguire's Liquid wax. DO NOT USE wax designed for specific colors."
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think there is stronger terminology than "Darn Love Bugs"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Love Bug Camera Pic.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	62572
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote