Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

Question Low amp protection

We are going to be staying in a spot with only 30 amp service on a hot weekend.
We’re okay with not using the air as we’ll be out during the day. Do you with more experience than us, think the MH will be okay if we unplug electrical during the day?
Ruandrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
With 30A service, you should be able to run at least one A/C; probably two. Just keep the use of other high-draw appliances (electric water heater, microwave, coffee maker, etc.) to a minimum.

Why would you disconnect power during the day?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I wouldn't be concerned about the 30a, I'd be more concerned about low voltage with the heat.

We've been at campgrounds on hot/humid days, where our site was at the end of the power run & those upstream had AC's cycling & sucking the voltage to where our Progressive Industries would kick off the power to save our electronics. In those cases, our AGS (auto generator start) would kick in.

If I were in your situation, I'd engage the AGS.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I use this:
https://www.rvautoparts.com/10175-Te...iABEgIA5vD_BwE to watch for and regulate low voltage.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I use this:
https://www.rvautoparts.com/10175-Te...iABEgIA5vD_BwE to watch for and regulate low voltage.
Gary:

Is that similar to the buck/boost Hughes Autoformer? And, is this unit weatherproof?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I Like Hughes

For us, a Hughes Autoformer with Surge Protection = Low Voltage Protection. Once we started monitoring from campground to campground, I was surprised at the variation in voltage drops, both 30A and 50A. It’s costly, but so are new appliances, which the Hughes
Is protecting.

The only thing I do not like about the Hughes is the bulk and weight, so I’m trying to figure out how to squeeze it into the power bay.
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #7

If you turn off all power during the day your coach will become very warm/hot inside. It will then take a long time to cool it down at night, especially with only 30 amps available. I think it would be better to run just one AC during the day and make sure other electric usage is minimal. For example, turn off you electric water heater (or run it on propane).
Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Ruandrog".....You don't say what coach you have and it's not in your profile. Many coaches come with low voltage protection and will shut the power down. We stayed at a spot last year that had horrific power. We came back from an afternoon of boating and found the coach shutdown, running on the inverter. Luckily, we were able to move close to the office with newer electrical that stayed above 112 volts
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Run one a/c during the day when you aren't there to monitor the electrical. When you are there you can manage your power. You may be able to run both but if it trips a circuit breaker you will be there to reset it. Turning all power off in the heat of the day will make you rv hot and you will take forever to get it cooled down. You really need a surge protector with EMS whether is is built in or portable to protect your electronics.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #10

Fridge on AC (4A max)
A/C ON (12A)
Battery charging (8A MAX)

Water heater on propane or off until needed

30A will provide adequate power
Autoformer.........raises Low AC Voltage but NOT normally needed unless CG Power inadequate
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tranquil Jim,
Don't know about Hughes. The unit is water resistant if rained on. It is not water proof (like for a flood).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote