Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #15

Wow. I didn't expect so many responses in such a short time. I assume that since there is so much interest in the 760, low clearances, etc that I would mention other databases that I was able to find on the web and upload to my 760.

I don't recall where but I was able to find databases of rest stops, post offices, Walmarts, Pilot/Flying J, Good Sam Campgrounds, and just about everything else you may want. Some of them came with an audio and picture file so you hear more than just a tone for an alert and you can spot them easily on your screen.

For the ones that didn't come with pic or audio, it was easy to make my own.

I've uploaded my databases to Google drive - I think you can download them - if not PM me and I will send via email. They were free from various sources and are at least a year old. I did not include anything from lowclearances.com because it has to be paid for. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...Wd1RDF6UG50dEk
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Yes, I was heading south to Hershey PA so GPS was sending me down Hwy 14 aka S. Franklin St..
Thank you Archer2.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #17

Question. Why would you need any updates to low bridges? Are they adding new ones, or are they just now finding the ones already out there? 😂😂😂
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Question. Why would you need any updates to low bridges? Are they adding new ones, or are they just now finding the ones already out there? 😂😂😂
If a bridge is 13'6" and they repave the road with 3" of black top do you think they raise the bridge or change the signs?

Now before someone sites rule 6 paragraph 12 section 32 of the code it happens. Drive I-95 in NC. There is a 10 mile run, north of Fayetteville, with bridges that are 14+ that were built higher but are now under 15'. The most famous one of all time is in Durham NC. A rail road bridge there has had road repairs several times over the years and they just change the sign. RR won't raise it and the city has a water problem as in flooding so they can't fix it. Tears a top off of a U-haul every week or so.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
If a bridge is 13'6" and they repave the road with 3" of black top do you think they raise the bridge or change the signs?

Now before someone sites rule 6 paragraph 12 section 32 of the code it happens. Drive I-95 in NC. There is a 10 mile run, north of Fayetteville, with bridges that are 14+ that were built higher but are now under 15'. The most famous one of all time is in Durham NC. A rail road bridge there has had road repairs several times over the years and they just change the sign. RR won't raise it and the city has a water problem as in flooding so they can't fix it. Tears a top off of a U-haul every week or so.

I can't speak for others, but if a bridge or overpass doesn't show as at LEAST 6" of clearance, I either don't use it, or take a good look. And unless low clearances.com sends someone out to measure, they just report what the state or whoever says it is which masy not be right.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I can't speak for others, but if a bridge or overpass doesn't show as at LEAST 6" of clearance, I either don't use it, or take a good look. And unless low clearances.com sends someone out to measure, they just report what the state or whoever says it is which masy not be right.
I agree to the 6" above the coach. The problem is with a tow there is no backing up so then you are stuck unhooking the tow and doing a big time dance.

My coach is 12' 8" and my GPS is set at 13'6" min. So the GPS avoids any route with bridges lower than that height.

Driving 10 miles out of the way is way easier than taking any chances.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I am lookin into purchasing a new GPS, all you guys are happy with the Garmin 760? Any problems or issues? Regrets?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRasco View Post
I am lookin into purchasing a new GPS, all you guys are happy with the Garmin 760? Any problems or issues? Regrets?
No regrets. By far, it's the best GPS I've ever owned and I've had several over the years.

I like the big screen and the ability to upload personal databases and set alerts based on them. The database of camp grounds and other way points right out of the box is impressive. Making a route with multiple stops is easy.

I use it in the car as well because you can easily switch between motor home and car modes. The routing will be different as car routing will take routes that are not truck routes and ignores height/weight restrictions.

Bluetooth works great with phone calls as does the traffic which it gets over the phone. It actually routed me around construction and a temporary road closure on 2 occasions.

Negatives:
- Voice command is a little shaky but that could be due to my impatience.
- Short battery run time
- Sometimes (rarely) seems to take the long way around when a more direct route was more practical... but other units I have do this too.

FWIW: I am not affiliated with Garmin in any way.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #23

I'm sure your GPS will flag these, but stay off the Garden State Parkway (New Jersey) and 15 in Connecticut. Old arch overpasses - some approx 10' in lanes on the sides (low point of arch). My 2c. Safe travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch-y View Post
Lowclearances.com advertises 4000 data points vs. (according to Lowclearance.com) 1500 data points in the RV and truck gps units. I have no idea if their statement is valid.........and make no statement regarding the accuracy of the Garmin unit.......I have updated and used the Garmin rv760 since it came out, covering almost 10,000miles in the west and found no issues with it regarding clearance.

This year we will travel in the east. The bridges in the east tend to be older and lower----- so ----I am getting as much info as possible to be prepared.

rich
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps