Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
Are you telling me my lower storage area where the water valve and tank flush is there is a heater? I never saw anything about that. I don't believe it. (Confused) Remember I have a Bay Star.

Most have an outlet from your furnace down there. Not all

firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
The coiled or folded plastic heater hose in the wet bay keeps the valve area warm and brings heat to the bedroom. A remote temp gage in the compartment reports temps like inside when the furnace is cycling.

2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #17
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Are you telling me my lower storage area where the water valve and tank flush is there is a heater? I never saw anything about that. I don't believe it. (Confused) Remember I have a Bay Star.

Sorry for confusion, I was using my coach as a reference. On the Bay Star I believe all the current models have a vent/hose from the propane furnace to the wet bay. Each are a little different but this is a feature on Newmars. You can check with Newmar customer service to see how yours works.

My point for the oasis equipped units (not your coach) was that even with the bay radiator not functional the waste heat in the bay is enough to keep the wet bay working - in my experience. Sorry for mixing two subjects.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
When your furnace is running, open the door and feel the warm air. You can put a remote thermometer in there and see the temp is warmer than freezing in cold weather when the furnace is running.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #19

Sorry if this does not apply to your Bay Star.
My Kountry Star has an electrical on/off switch in the water service bay which should be "on" during freezing conditions. This allows a blower to force heated furnace air into the service bay whenever the furnace is running. Stays quite warm when doing so. If you do not have the furnace on while storing perhaps the shrouded trouble light would be a good suggestion.
Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Cheers
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend getting a remote temp monitor and putting it your basement compartment and the display in you house. You can monitor the temps and if it gets too cold turn on the heat. If we plan on using ours I won't winterize and use this method to monitor the temps. I will put a cube heater in the basement set at a low temp if it get really cold out.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #21

Wish somebody with a Bay Star would chime in. It's 45 outside now. I went in coach and put furnace on to 60. Went out opened the bay with my water stuff. Didn't feel any heat, no vent. Are you guys pulling my leg on this?
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2012 Bay Star 2901, as shown in my signature. Read my notes.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:37 AM   #23

Maddawg... call Newmar support. They should be able to confirm if there is a heat duct for the basement of your model. Every mh I've owned had one.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #24

Thumbs up Apology

Called Newmar a short while ago. You are all correct! There is furnace ducting to the wet bay. Shame on me for doubting you guys.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #25

Glad you found the answer to your question.
Plenty of smart and experienced folks on this site so never be afraid to ask.
Good luck with your Bay Star!

Cheers
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Called Newmar a short while ago. You are all correct! There is furnace ducting to the wet bay. Shame on me for doubting you guys.
Maddawg ....It's cool in Palm Desert this week so I contacted Newmar regarding the heat ducting for my Baystar Sport 2901. They send me the schematics for the layout. Basically there is a duct 14 1/2 by 2 1/2 from the furnace over to the middle of the floor that then runs rearward. There is an opening in this duct visible above the fresh water tank that allows heat into the wet bay. The main duct continues rearward to feed the bedroom register.
I can send you the schematics they provided for my 2901 if you PM me, but probably better to ask Newmar for the ones specific to your 31.

FYI...The reason I asked Newmar for this information was I was not getting much heat at the bedroom and bathroom registers and I wanted to understand how the duct was run. When I pulled the Louvred access panel for the furnace (below the stove) I discovered that the heat duct for the bathroom had fallen off the furnace box allowing the bulk of the hot air to blow around in the stove cavity. I reconnected the bathroom duct and all the registers started getting good air pressure again.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #27

Mine Froze

So I tested and learned the limits of my Bay Star this past week. Had a planned journey from KS to PA with plans to leave Sun. Fri was nice (40's), Sat was forecast to have sub-zero temps. I expectantly/inadvertently drained my LP tank and froze. Started my road trip Sun but had no luck finding an open venue for filling LP (I know now there were places I could have gone...learning the hard way). Two nights of -15 F temps completely froze things...running the furnace after filling propane and putting a space heater in the wet bay did not thaw anything out. Now at destination and weather is warm enough for me to (finally) empty black & grey tanks but also found water pump is leaking and non-functional as well as a couple of water line breaks that occurred. Will definitely need some repairs...will use park facilities and eat off paper plates in the meantime. Glad this adventure is happening at the start of my life adventure (2 yrs in as a full-timer) rather than when I am older and less able to cope with challenges.

idocdlw is offline   Reply With Quote