Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #1

We are driving in WA. It is raining. We are towing a trailer. It is in economy mode. The RV is lurching. Any ideas if we should be concerned?

2007 Newmar All Star 3950
BSFocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #2

We are driving in WA. It is raining. We are towing a trailer. It is in economy mode. The RV is lurching. Any ideas if we should be concerned?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bonnie,
There should be no lurching no matter what. Consider trying:
1. turn off enconomy mode
2. keep the RPM at 1800-2000

Write down all that happens and the circumstances. The service tech may find the information handy.

How is the engine temp?
You going up or down or flat?
What is your speed?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BSFocht:
We are driving in WA. It is raining. We are towing a trailer. It is in economy mode. The RV is lurching. Any ideas if we should be concerned? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you by any chance have the exhaust brake ON? It would cause lurching as you roll over hills and dales.

The economy mode should not have any effect- it simply changes the TCM to hold in gear longer. I'd turn it off its really of little or no value.

Next I would try manually setting a gear - say 4th and see if this makes any difference.

Finally, see if the system is throwing up any codes after it occurs i.e. pull into safe place or drive to campground and check- do not turn engine off or you'll lose them.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #5

I experienced the same problem prior to a fuel pump failure in my 03 Revolution. The condition changed for the worse very quickly.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #6

I hope something isn't about to fail. We have been on the road since August and have had three failures that have taken us off the road already. We had a fuel line break, blew the engine (recall issue) and blew the turbo a couple of weeks ago. I personally believe that all of the issues have been because of the bad engine. We had the block replaced but still have original hoses. We are hoping it has something to do with the heavy rain and the towing up hills. It only seems to lurch going up the hills.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #7

We just stopped for the night. Let me give a few more details.

1. Engine Brake is OFF
2. Economy Mode is ON
3. Cruise Control on 60
4. Engine Temp is 200 (typical)
5. RPMs at 1700-1800 (typical)
6. MPG is about 6.0 (6.5 typical)

The word LURKING is a bit extreme. As it is pulling up a grade of any size, you can feel little tugs or pauses. It feels like the tires are slipping and you get the second of no pulling. Everything seems in line and normal. The rain in pouring and the wind is very strong.

I would have guessed that it was either a small tire slip or a clutch plate slipping. We have never noticed the feeling to date (15,000+ miles) but this is our first hard rain.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #8

Transmission fluid level?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #9

That was my first thought! I stopped and on a hot engine it showed "OK". After sitting during dinner I again checked and it showed "70". So, I think that the fluid is good.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 AM   #10

Are you towing, and is that connection solid?
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #11

For the simple guesses, I'd guess back to the fuel filter. It seems to happen "under load" and that is when fuel is needed most. A clogging filter can cause an engine lurch/surge.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I agree with the fuel filter suggestion.

If you;ve got 15,000 miles on the filter and havn't changed it, it's overdue. We ran into a similiar feeling with our Journey a couple years ago. At increased throttle positions, the motorhome shudderd as you described. Felt like a miss under load which was clearly a fuel delivery issue with the diesel.

Changed the fuel filter and all was well.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Focht:
That was my first thought! I stopped and on a hot engine it showed "OK". After sitting during dinner I again checked and it showed "70". So, I think that the fluid is good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it is just tire slip - how heavy is that 25 ft trailer loaded and/or High winds may be pushing and shoving causing some jerking.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
My vote is for the fuel filter and/or the fuel water separator. Before changing the fuel water separator, check to see if there is water in the separator.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote