RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

MA, LA, or Essex?

We are currently in or last year in a sticks and bricks. We have decided to move up into a 45' coach. We are presently looking at 2016-17 year models in the MA, LA, and Essex lines. We pull a '17 Grand Cherokee and want the power to climb the passes and the ability to get around slower vehicles. If anybody owns or has owned any of these I would appreciate any feedback on why to choose one over another. I already know the MA has a 500hp motor and the other two a 600hp motors. Is there much difference in the two climbing elevation? Are there other differences in the three models that stands out and makes it a game changer? The FL vs Sparten also has me curious. Why one or the other? Any significant changes in the two years that we are looking at also. I know we want the egress door and no carpet. And of course we will be picking a floorplan that fits us. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The power that the ISX puts out is really nice. But then you only use it a few times and at the end of the day you still arrive at the same place at almost the same time.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We currently have a Mountain Aire on order and, during the decision process, considered all three of the coaches considered. One of our criteria was a 40' coach due to some space considerations at the S&B house. That eliminated the London Aire and Essex right out of the gate. Both of them are great coaches and without the space consideration, it would have been a hard choice.

As for pulling power, I think you will find relatively little difference between the three you are considering. While the HP increases in the LA and Essex, so does the weight. I think one pretty much offers the other.

Good luck on whatever you decide to go with...great coaches all!

TJ
Old 04-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #4

We have had a London Aire and then a Essex and just purchased a 18 LA. The LA is most coach for the money.Love the Spartan chassis with the 605 new X15 engine. We are out west and go to places like Lake Tahoe so the 605 was the engine of choice which you can't get till LA. All 3 good choices and pick the one you guys overall like.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have been here a while, so should have this link to find any information of a coach in the TSB LINK, good luck in your search.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Addition to my earlier post. Does anyone know why the FL chassis is 700-800 LBS heavier than the Spartan chassis? Just seems like a significant amount of weight. Still wondering if we should be looking at one vs the other or if both are equally good. Does service by one manufacturer seem to be better than the other. I think I have heard that FL has more locations than Spartan. Again thanks for any help.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
Addition to my earlier post. Does anyone know why the FL chassis is 700-800 LBS heavier than the Spartan chassis? Just seems like a significant amount of weight. Still wondering if we should be looking at one vs the other or if both are equally good. Does service by one manufacturer seem to be better than the other. I think I have heard that FL has more locations than Spartan. Again thanks for any help.
Disc brakes all around on the Spartan is one reason. Drum brakes used on the rear of the FL are significantly heavier. I'm sure there are other things that contribute to the extra weight (or, lack of it) as well.

TJ
Old 04-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #8

With our 3 Newmar's all on Spartan chassis and over 200K miles traveled the Spartan is the one to choice. Their service centers, their support for the 21 years we have Newmar's the quality of the chassis would be the reasons.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #9

We went through the exact same thing that you are considering and we are on the east coast so we opted for the MA (not a lot of mountain driving). The interior of the MA and LA are almost identical.

If you want the most power, I agree the LA is the most bang for the buck. But there were a couple of threads on here that said there was not a huge difference between 1650 and 1950 lb of torque. I suppose if you are towing 15-20K you could probably tell. I have never driven a 605 so I guess I don't know what I'm missing

The only thing I wish the MA had is larger capacity tanks like the LA. Other than the engine and tank capacity, everything else is basically the same if you go with Spartan (K3) and all have the Allison 4000.

If Newmar is charging 3K+ more for Spartans in the 19's, there must be a good reason why (sorry Neal C).

The Essex is REALLY refined and high end inside - very luxurious and has some cool technological stuff. Just couldn't justify the extra 100+K over the MA though, and we got a really good deal on ours off the lot.

There have been a lot of threads lately stating they were seeing 1-2 year old models selling for more than what you could negotiate a good deal on for a new one so you may find the best deal is on a new one.

Either way, you are going to have one very fine coach. Best of luck with your decision, and be sure to keep us posted.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
We are currently in or last year in a sticks and bricks. We have decided to move up into a 45' coach. We are presently looking at 2016-17 year models in the MA, LA, and Essex lines. We pull a '17 Grand Cherokee and want the power to climb the passes and the ability to get around slower vehicles. If anybody owns or has owned any of these I would appreciate any feedback on why to choose one over another. I already know the MA has a 500hp motor and the other two a 600hp motors. Is there much difference in the two climbing elevation? Are there other differences in the three models that stands out and makes it a game changer? The FL vs Sparten also has me curious. Why one or the other? Any significant changes in the two years that we are looking at also. I know we want the egress door and no carpet. And of course we will be picking a floorplan that fits us. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well I can say we are new owners of a 2018 MADP. We ordered last year right after the Dealer show and took delivery in Sept 2017. We tow a 2018 JEEP GC Summit and the 500hp/1645TQ works well, sure 600hp/1950TQ would pull better the hills but at what cost? I can say that we just did a 1000 mile trip from Sacramento to Santa Cruz to Disneyland and returning to Sacramento and we pulled the Grapevine in 4th gear @45-50mph and she just chugged along without skipping a beat. Cant go wrong with any of them, good luck with your search and purchase.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #11
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you considered getting one of each??

Spartan upcharge? Reason why? Maybe it costs Newmar more time to prep the chassis for their house? It doesn't mean it's better, we've proven it's not (poor shock design, poor customer service in rectifying that matter, Spartan has earned an AVOID or BUYER BEWARE from me now!). I couldn't be happier with Freightliner and even more so their customer service. I have no idea why people would even consider Spartan, the under dog, the smaller company, the one with proven less customer service. Go for it! I'll pass with my Essex.

It comes down to floor plan as usual. LA vs. Essex for example, LA is traditional "old fogie" haha and Essex is their contemporary coach which I love.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Have you considered getting one of each??

Spartan upcharge? Reason why? Maybe it costs Newmar more time to prep the chassis for their house? It doesn't mean it's better, we've proven it's not (poor shock design, poor customer service in rectifying that matter, Spartan has earned an AVOID or BUYER BEWARE from me now!). I couldn't be happier with Freightliner and even more so their customer service. I have no idea why people would even consider Spartan, the under dog, the smaller company, the one with proven less customer service. Go for it! I'll pass with my Essex.

It comes down to floor plan as usual. LA vs. Essex for example, LA is traditional "old fogie" haha and Essex is their contemporary coach which I love.
Neal, if you have a strong opinion about the Spartan chassis, speak up!

With the MADP 4047, I didn't have a choice, so am perfectly happy with what I'm getting from Spartan. And, I think the 46MM Bilstein shocks will be fine.

TJ
Old 04-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Neal, if you have a strong opinion about the Spartan chassis, speak up!

With the MADP 4047, I didn't have a choice, so am perfectly happy with what I'm getting from Spartan. And, I think the 46MM Bilstein shocks will be fine.

TJ
TJ, it's been proven your driving will actually raise the front end. You have nothing to worry about. Just be careful with that 500 pony 40 footer to keep the front wheels on the ground. You may need one of those wheelee things off the back, I think we discussed this. Keep gorilla tape on hand!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've still got a half roll plus of Gorilla tape from the last episode! Never leave home without Gorilla tape!

I'm still working on the options and specials list for "our" 2027 Essex, but I should have it to you soon. The "big one" is finding a way to boost the ISX 605 to something more like 900 HP. With enough HP, you can fly anything!

TJ