Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
QT's # 3 PDR John's installation in MOD section will clue you in.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Mr. D, despite my complaints about the tiny holding tanks, I believe the macerator toilet is clearly the preferred way to go- just enlarge the black tank to accommodate the added fluid volume. The reason is simple....when dumping, the tank residue, being chopped up and surprisingly decayed, flows readily through the discharge hose, leaving virtually NO residue behind. I find one refill of the tank with water will completely clean out anything clinging to the tank walls. A second rinse shows clear water, proving how well it cleans out. In fact, you can even empty the tank by using a garden hose, with no clogging!

Add to this the flexibility of floorplan design And I believe you'll see more and more macerators showing up. As for those macerator pumps some are using to drain a conventionally-filled black tank....I still haven't seen any big advantage. Mine came with one of those, but honestly, I can't see any scenario where I'd want to use it. I believe I may just take it out and sell it.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #59

Dometic has came out with a new Mac toilet , users slot less water, put one on one of the bathrooms, so dry camping we only use that toilet.
wdyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Macerator toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
From what I've seen, heard and read about the macerator toilets I'm VERY glad we don't have one!
We have them and they are the best, we are so glad that Newmar installed them on our coach.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Mr. D, despite my complaints about the tiny holding tanks, I believe the macerator toilet is clearly the preferred way to go- just enlarge the black tank to accommodate the added fluid volume. The reason is simple....when dumping, the tank residue, being chopped up and surprisingly decayed, flows readily through the discharge hose, leaving virtually NO residue behind. I find one refill of the tank with water will completely clean out anything clinging to the tank walls. A second rinse shows clear water, proving how well it cleans out. In fact, you can even empty the tank by using a garden hose, with no clogging!

Add to this the flexibility of floorplan design And I believe you'll see more and more macerators showing up. As for those macerator pumps some are using to drain a conventionally-filled black tank....I still haven't seen any big advantage. Mine came with one of those, but honestly, I can't see any scenario where I'd want to use it. I believe I may just take it out and sell it.
In my 50+ years of RV'ing (since before there were toilets in RV's) I have yet to have a black or gray water tank problem. I've found that using enough water and only dumping when the tanks are ¾ full works fine without needing to grind everything up before the tank.
A friend has an '07 Essex, he and his wife can only go 3 days before needing to dump. We were gone a full week and our black tank was reading 50% after that time.
The option to have toilets where they couldn't be before is nice but the "old" way works for us
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Mr. D, despite my complaints about the tiny holding tanks, I believe the macerator toilet is clearly the preferred way to go.
2X!

I have to say that with all the bad press we had heard on iRV2, Newmar Owners' Forum, we were really worried that we would be disappointed in the Dometic macerator toilets that were so often dissed in the recent past. We were hopeful that over time, improvements that were talked about on the Forum were incorporated so that by the time our 2015 Dutch Star 4369 came off line, we would have updated and improved toilets. I am glad to say that that is exactly what has happened.

We were on the road for the past two and a half weeks and we used every system in the coach we could for as long as we could and that included regular usage of both Dometic macerator toilets, at mid coach and in the rear bathroom. We had zero problems and the black tank capacity held up for us just as well, if not better than we experienced with the Thetford macerator toilets on our 2013 Dutch Star 4018 (which we loved).

I spoke directly with Matt Miller in the late summer last year about the Thetford v. Dometic issue and he told me in detail why Newmar went with the Dometic macerator toilets and scrapped the Thetfords. I was persuaded by his explanation, but nonetheless still wary because of the many adverse comments made by owners of the early Dometic units who had to dump their black tanks so often due to excessive water usage. At least with regard to our toilets on our new coach, this problem is now a non-issue.

We also decided to have installed in our '15 DS the SeeLevel 709 monitors in both the wet bay and inside the coach. These read out the fill amounts of the black, gray and fresh water tanks in terms of percentage of the tank used (and also monitor the LP level of those whose coaches are not all electric and use LP gas). The SeeLevel monitor helps considerably as the Dometic toilets do not have the terrific LED light system that the Thefords do (green to orange to red when full plus an "emergency flush" availability after red is reached).

With the SeeLevel monitors and the improvements in the Dometic toilets, we are now happy to endorse the Dometic toilets from our good experience.

I agree with Slabman on this. The macerator toilet is going to be the standard on all upper end coaches and may well be the go to toilet on even lower end coaches as time passes. We are certainly very satisfied with the performance we observe.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #63

I changed our original equipment toilets to the new model. They have improved considerably! Our black tank timeframe is now comparable to our old coach with the manual drop toilets! I do like the idea of the macerator grinding things up before the tank, to ease in dumping and flushing the tank.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #64

Another vote for the (2015) dometic macerators. Flawless performance so far, and in water-save mode we can easily stretch the black tank. We are, by far, grey-limited when boondocking.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #65
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Another vote for the (2015) dometic macerators. Flawless performance so far, and in water-save mode we can easily stretch the black tank. We are, by far, grey-limited when boondocking.

What is the water save mode? How do you put it in that mode? Thx.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
What is the water save mode? How do you put it in that mode? Thx.
Hold the flush button down for 5 seconds, until the LED flashes. (It will also flush once, at the beginning.)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
An other vote for the Dometic macerator toilets. With the controller DIP switches set right, we can go without draining comparable to our old 2008 DS. The Seelevel gage adds confidence.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #68
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Hold the flush button down for 5 seconds, until the LED flashes. (It will also flush once, at the beginning.)
thx, will give that a try. We have no sewer connection the majority of places we visit (state parks, etc).

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdyvet View Post
Dometic has came out with a new Mac toilet , users slot less water, put one on one of the bathrooms, so dry camping we only use that toilet.

Wdyvet, do you have the model number and maybe a link to where you purchased this new Dometic toilet?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #70

Slabman,
X2 on selling my sani con. Don't need it with 2 macerator toilets.
John
2015 LADP Destin, Fl
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote