Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #15

Homemade Magnetic Shades

I've often wondered about those shades but never wanted to invest so much money into something so simple.
I've often thought about cutting out my own using Reflectix and neodymium magnets. Could outfit my whole rig for under $100.

Anyone ever tried this?

Thoughts?

Feedback?

Thanks..........
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
They have been at everyone for at least the last 5 years and will be there this year. https://magneshade.com/calendar/

I had my first set of shades on my previous coach installed at the WV rally by them.

You will need to order them in advance and they will bring it to the rally in install.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #17

The shades on the outside are the very best. They keep the heat from hitting the window. We also found that dark colors are best for viewing. The subject outside is nice and clear. Shades on that big window are well worth it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Great product and great folks to deals with. Great customer service. Easily installed and keeps the coach much cooler
Old 07-17-2019, 12:16 AM   #19

I've already got a set for my coach so I guess this is a bit of a silly question... But how have people found them for durability and lifespan? Ever seen it fade or wear out?

Does anyone leave them up long-term?
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours are approaching 5 years of FT use: We
- always roll them around a pool noodle and store in a bag
- clean with soap and water ~ twice a year (use a hose while mounted on windows)
- leave them on up to 4 months at a time

No fade, rips, tears, abrasion ... and have stayed put in 40 mph winds ...
Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #21

Ordered mine yesterday ...Have them in 2 weeks.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is so great to read. We get ours installed on the 22nd!!
crockdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Ours are approaching 5 years of FT use: We
- always roll them around a pool noodle and store in a bag
- clean with soap and water ~ twice a year (use a hose while mounted on windows)
- leave them on up to 4 months at a time

No fade, rips, tears, abrasion ... and have stayed put in 40 mph winds ...
If you have storms rolling through, summer thunderstorms, do you take them down to be safe? About to order mine and was wondering if I put them up and forget them (once I have them), or when storms are coming, put them away.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Stump View Post
Ordered mine yesterday ...Have them in 2 weeks.
Is that with the expedite fee?
ASU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
If you have storms rolling through, summer thunderstorms, do you take them down to be safe? About to order mine and was wondering if I put them up and forget them (once I have them), or when storms are coming, put them away.
In the 4 years I've had them I have had them come off twice. In both cases wind gusts exceeded 60 MPH (didn't see that coming) and came directly perpendicular to the wind shield. I guess the wind got behind them.

In the first case it was our previous coach with 2 windshields and wiper blades that were vertical. That did make me replace the wiper blade. In the second case was our new coach with the horizontal wipers and no damage. However, I'm thinking that I may put the wiper blades under the shade if I think a nasty storm is coming.

Regardless, I wouldn't be without them. BTW...One possible thing that can cause/help the windshield cover come off is wax build up on the windshield. That can reduce the friction a little bit depending on the product.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
In the 4 years I've had them I have had them come off twice. In both cases wind gusts exceeded 60 MPH (didn't see that coming) and came directly perpendicular to the wind shield. I guess the wind got behind them.

In the first case it was our previous coach with 2 windshields and wiper blades that were vertical. That did make me replace the wiper blade. In the second case was our new coach with the horizontal wipers and no damage. However, I'm thinking that I may put the wiper blades under the shade if I think a nasty storm is coming.

Regardless, I wouldn't be without them. BTW...One possible thing that can cause/help the windshield cover come off is wax build up on the windshield. That can reduce the friction a little bit depending on the product.
Kicking myself for not ordering them last fall or offer the winter like I had intended.

Got bogged down in that my wife liked the idea of a digital print, but couldn't make up her mind on an image, then I forgot about it until summer hit.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinFL View Post
Anyone know how the Magne Shades compare to the snap on shades that Newmar makes? I am asking in terms of heat reduction/efficiency.

I've never seen the Magne Shades in person but they appear to be more opaque than the Newmar shades.
Researched them both. Magna Shades can be installed by 1 person with out a ladder, and removal is even easier. Shades that snap on require getting on a ladder.

The magnets make using them and taking them off even daily a breeze--the same cannot be said about shades that require a ladder. Also, snap on shades require drilling holes into your rv--NOT without risk.

Best investment for the RV!!!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 AM   #28

Thumbs up

We certainly feel they were worth the expense. They make a huge difference in how much solar heat is transferred to the dash and really provide a great degree of privacy during the daytime.

We covered the driver's side window, windshield, door window, passenger's side window and windshield wipers.
Considering springing for the wheel covers, now.-Paul