Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

Magne Shade on Dutch Star

Today, I installed a Magne Shade windshield shade on our 2017 Dutch Star 4369. The kit includes two magnets to be installed outside to hold the upper corners in place. The instructions recommend using Lock Tite to seal the edges of the outside magnets. This seemed odd so I called Magne Shade and asked which Lock Tite product. All they could recommend was a clear sealant to keep water from getting under the magnet.

What did you use on your installation?

Silicone sealant is an option, but difficult to get a small bead around that 1 inch diameter magnet while hanging onto a ladder.

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have the magneshade. Loctite won't seal anything, it's a thread locker. I didn't install any magnets outside, nor was I instructed to.

Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #3

Bill,

There are two magnet in the upper corners, one with an inside magnet to hold the shade in place and an outer magnet to hold the corner flaps down. Evidently, this design is because it is difficult to get the inside magnet sufficiently outward.

Rex
Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

I installed all the magnets INSIDE, even the top two corners. The system works fine, and I used nothing but the double-sided stick pads supplied with the kit.
Johnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
It was difficult to get my corner magnets (11 months ago) deep enough to hold the shade taught at the corners, but mine work well enough that I would rather not have external magnets on the windshield.

If you haven't yet mounted the external magnets, you might try it without them first and see what you think.
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Today, I installed a Magne Shade windshield shade on our 2017 Dutch Star 4369. The kit includes two magnets to be installed outside to hold the upper corners in place. The instructions recommend using Lock Tite to seal the edges of the outside magnets. This seemed odd so I called Magne Shade and asked which Lock Tite product. All they could recommend was a clear sealant to keep water from getting under the magnet.

What did you use on your installation?

Silicone sealant is an option, but difficult to get a small bead around that 1 inch diameter magnet while hanging onto a ladder.

Rex
Different coach but all my top magnets were not easily placed because of a inside shade attached to a valance 6" below the top of the windshield. Doable but a process. All went inside.

For the side magne shade all the magnets go on the outside. They came with a spray bottle of clear treatment to apply to the glass only where a magnet would go before the magnets were applied. This treatment as per the instructions was to prevent water from getting to the 3m adhesive.

Now i will have to do it all again as i'm waiting for a new windshield from a 2' crack.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I too use the Magneshade for both the huge windshield and the driver and passenger side windows. The only outside magnets I installed were on the side windows. The front window magnets are ALL inside.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW, I would do whatever the manufacturer recommends. They are good people and know what they are doing.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #9

I called Magne Shade again, this time asking to speak to an installer. I spoke with Langdon who told me the Lock Tite recommendation in the instructions is an error and they will correct it. Instead they use a sealant around the exterior magnet to give it and little extra hold. I told him how difficult it is to reach that magnet once it is attached and he suggested I try it without the sealant. The worse that can happen is it will come loose and they will gladly send me another magnet.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

i have 2017 DS 4369 and although the very top corners tend to fold over mine works fine with all magnets inside.
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star