Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #1

Magnum auto gen start gremlin

The genset in my 06 DSDP started coming on by itself. I have the Magnum auto genset installed. The issue is it shouldn't be coming on. My batteries are full and I am even plugged into shore power.

Until I get to a shop to have this diagnosed and fixed how do I get the thing to stop starting the generator? My temp fix is that I have disconnected the batteries from the genny. That keeps it from starting but I have no genny now. No problem when hooked up to shore power. I assume my alternator will still charging house batteries when driving.

Any thought as to just disconnect the magnum?

Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #2

Does your AGS have the feature that will turn the genie on if your coach temperature reaches a certain preset temp?
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #3

Yes. I have looked at those settings (quiet hours, time, volts, etc) everything is as it always is. I am even plugged into shore power. The monitor shows I have power and the batteries are at full. Wondering if it is an issue with the magnum. How can I disconnect the AGS?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
HambonesBBQ.....Try and locate the plug/connector for the wiring to the generator. I'm talking about a good sized connector from the coach to the generator. If you locates it, pull it apart and clean, blow out the best you can and reinstall. Often, these connectors get dirty/wet and then cause issues like you're having.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a ME inverter and the ME AGS-N AGS. I can control the AGS from the inverter remote in the coach. If you press the AGS button on the remote, you should be able to scroll (with the big round button) to the enable/disable feature. Scroll to Disable and press the big button. That should disable the AGS until you can call Magnum Energy and get help.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

What Rudy is asking is your thermostat set to run the AC's or the furnace. Mine are hooked up this way. Also if I have my auto start turned on and a demand lowers the volts the gen comes on even if plugged into 50 amp. This is how the auto sences to start the gen.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #7

I had that same gremlin last summer. There is a flat plug of about 10 wires at the bottom of the (quiet hours, time, volts, etc) pull apart there. Then you can still use the manual start. I still have not solved the issue. That was to be a winter project. Message me if you figure it out.
pj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
See if these links help you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj54 View Post
I had that same gremlin last summer. There is a flat plug of about 10 wires at the bottom of the (quiet hours, time, volts, etc) pull apart there. Then you can still use the manual start. I still have not solved the issue. That was to be a winter project. Message me if you figure it out.
Thank you. I will give this a shot later this week! Thanks to all that replied.