Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Magnum charging

Can someone explain the differences of "float charge", "absorb charge" etc. and meaning of each as it pertains to dry camper.
BobKatMsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #2

This is a good site for info.

https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...ery%20Charging
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-04-03-19-26-59.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	240594

In dry camping, its best to get at least to the absorb stage every charging session.

Getting thru absorb or float is a slow prosses and not much return for the fuel burned.

Always get them up to float before storing the RV.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, cannot post the battery Power Point we got in RV School as not allowed. Newmar still uses wet cell batteries in the house side, assuming on chassis as well. First thing I am going to do, is coat all those cables and terminals in NO-OX-ID Special A grease so they are essentially sealed from the gasses put out by the charging and discharging of them when in use. Have not seen in actual use how the monitoring panel represents the discharge of the house batteries, but the AGS system should be setup to come on when the batteries have reached 12.2 volts, which is 50% discharged. A normally charged battery at 80 degrees is fully charged at 12.7 to 12.8 volts, some disagreement about number.

When our old coach was in storage, and no power was available, I used to let the genset charge the batteries for 4-5 hours about every 10 days. This usually kept them at 12.7 or so. The other way around this is a battery disconnect which physically breaks the actual connection, but I have no idea yet, what needs the parasitic feed when the switches are all in the off position. Some small computers/monitors most likely have a drain on the system. The solar cells on the roof are connected to a controller and wired into the batteries to charge them when not plugged in or genset is doing it.

When driving the coach the alternator (Ventana has leece-Neville at 260 amps) so it will charge 4-6-8 batteries just fine. Charger/converter does it when plugged in, and genset does it when running through the converter unit. As mentioned above, get it to absorption level, float is what it does all the time, unless serious discharge has taken place. NOTE: Batteries have date codes, once I take delivery, I will check those codes, as they could have been setting around for 6 months before being installed, and some discharge has taken place on the shelf, and while coach was being built. Very rarely does a battery last its intended warranty period, and it's better to just buy it on sale, instead of the "pro-rated" deal they give you. AGM for RV is best life, but most expensive solution, you can buy at least 3 sets of wet cells to one AGM set. See good 6V deep cycle battery's at Costco and Sam's club for 86 and change. An AGM might cost 200.00 plus. If wet cells in compartment, it should be cleaned at least once a year, baking soda to water and then hose them off good.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging