Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #15

I would expect to see Absorb charging. This is further confirmation that your house battery voltages are low. Either due to bad batteries, bad cable connections or excessive current draw.

I would duplicate what you just did. Disconnect the shore power and let the inverter run for an hour. Then use the Magnum interface to read the voltage. Also use a voltmeter to read the voltage on the house batteries' terminal.

Its only a guess, but a reading below 12.6 would again confirm lower than expected battery voltage.

At that point, you will need a clamp meter to measure the current flowing through the house battery ground cables. If that number is small, then your batteries are not holding charge and need to be replaced.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I will hopefully do these test tomorrow weather cooperating. I do have a clamp test meter. Would the solenoid that has been mentioned be located in the bay with the shore power cord. I have seen one mounted to the back wall. I have had the battery tray slid out a couple of times lately perhaps I've pulled a cable lose while opening or closing the tray and didn't notice.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #17

At this point, I don't think there is a solenoid / bird problem. Most likely, bad batteries.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Was raining today so I wasn't able to visually check battery voltage on the batteries. I was float charging and showed 13.5 volts and salesman switch showed same. I did have to take it to the tire shop to fix a slow leak on a tire. When I started the coach the inverter was off, pushed the button and turned it on. Went to the tire shop about 4 blocks away, stopped the engine while they did the repair. I was there 30 to 45 minutes. Started engine came home. Plugged back into 50 Amp shore. Checked ems and it was bulk charging. No longer than I was away that doesn't seem right to be bulk charging or is it?
As stated above you do not have an EMS system. If it says so on the panel it is miss identified. You have an electric control panel. Some coaches have a LOAD SHEDDING SYSTEM that the manufactures call an EMS. It has caused much confusion on RV sites with novices. EMS discussions on RV sites is an Electric Management Protection System. Google Progressive industries EMS. It protects from multiple AC electric related problems. You plug you RV into it or have it hard wired into the RV. I does not come from the factory.

Surge protector is another over used/misused term.

Tags
ems