RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Magnum EMS System?

What did I do or not do ? Came home from a long weekend yesterday, as soon as I got parked, leveled,etc. I turned the engine off. Immediately the AGS kicked in and the generator started. I plugged into my 50 Amp shore power and the EMS said bulk charging. I also was having the check engine light coming on then off. Most of the time it was only for a second then back off. Don't know if this was related to my EMS and the condition of my batteries or just a coincidence. I'm sure I haven't given enough information but I'm not familiar with the EMS at all. It was set at the dealership and I've never messed with it. Have read the manuals but I'm not understanding it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #2

The Magnum is not really an EMS. It is the charger/inverter for your coach. It is probably setup to start the generator when the house batteries are lower than the set threshold. A guess would be 12.2v.

That your generator started after the engine was off suggests low voltage on the house batteries. The batteries should have been charged by the alternator while the engine was running. This happens automatically when the BIRD is working properly.

Since you are getting check engine lights as well, you maybe having 12v problems on your chassis. Bad ground, bad connections or a failing alternator. That your generator actually started suggests the chassis batteries are getting charged when the engine is running.

You will need to start checking voltages when the engine is running and shore power is disconnected. The alternator should be outputting a voltage around 14.2. The voltage on the house batteries when the engine is running should also be around 14.2.

Also check all voltages when the engine is off and shore power is disconnected.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for the help. I will start checking your suggestions. I did check the dash gauge for volts and the alternator was showing output of 14v or better. Could the inverter and charge button on the magnum been turned off? There were no green lights on. I did push them and got green lights after the fact.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #4

Another possibility is the house batteries are not getting charged by the Magnum. The bird connects the chassis batteries to the house batteries when the engine is running and the house batteries are drawing too much current and causing the engine check light to come on.

You need to prove to yourself that the house batteries are getting fully charged when on shore power (or generator). The Magnum will show Bulk charging, then absorb charging, and finally float.

When the charger shows float. Disconnect the shore power and use a volt meter to read the voltage on the house batteries . I generally see a voltage around 13.0
Old 11-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #5

Yes, these things are possible. However, if you saw the bulk charging message, then the charger was on.

Learn how to use the Magnum inverter charger and what the messages mean.

For instance, what is the charging rate? That is one setting you really should understand how to use.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you. It is float charging now. I do know that the house batteries are agm and the engine batteries are regular acid ones.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

You might want to check the charge bridge solenoid. If it has stopped working then the alternator will not connect to the house batteries and then you will not be charging.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

While you are in float charging, check the voltage on your chassis batteries. The voltages for both the house and the chassis batteries should be the same; around 13.1V.

If not, BIRD is not working.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblessin View Post
You might want to check the charge bridge solenoid. If it has stopped working then the alternator will not connect to the house batteries and then you will not be charging.
Where is this located?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
While you are in float charging, check the voltage on your chassis batteries. The voltages for both the house and the chassis batteries should be the same; around 13.1V.

If not, BIRD is not working.
I will check in the morning. Got put on grandpa duty this afternoon.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #11

BIRDs need 13.4 volts to close the isolation solenoid.

Make sure the house batteries are charged to at least that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

House batteries

I am surprised no one asked how old your house batteries are. If they are bad that may be the issue. Sometimes they will show fully charged but won't hold a charge when driving and the alternator can't keep the charge up. That could explain the generator coming on when you turn off the key.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
This happened to me the day I picked my coach up from the dealer. In the parking lot the engine light came on, had them look at it but it had gone out. Drove away and about 15 miles down the road it came on again, took it back and had them check the code with the light on and it was low volts, which to them indicated the alternator was bad. Had a new 200amp one put on and has been working fine for ~8months.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Was raining today so I wasn't able to visually check battery voltage on the batteries. I was float charging and showed 13.5 volts and salesman switch showed same. I did have to take it to the tire shop to fix a slow leak on a tire. When I started the coach the inverter was off, pushed the button and turned it on. Went to the tire shop about 4 blocks away, stopped the engine while they did the repair. I was there 30 to 45 minutes. Started engine came home. Plugged back into 50 Amp shore. Checked ems and it was bulk charging. No longer than I was away that doesn't seem right to be bulk charging or is it?

Tags
ems