RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #1

I've been reading a lot about surge protectors and thinking hard about getting one. I see that many of the Energy Management Systems have a surge protector built in. I have read my manuals and searched the net, but I can find nothing about my Magnum Energy EMS having a surge protector built in. I kind of assume that since I can't find anything about it having one that it doesn't. Does anyone know for sure?
If it doesn't, I would prefer a portable surge protector so I don't have to worry about installation. Are the portable ones any good?

TIA

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #2

I've been reading a lot about surge protectors and thinking hard about getting one. I see that many of the Energy Management Systems have a surge protector built in. I have read my manuals and searched the net, but I can find nothing about my Magnum Energy EMS having a surge protector built in. I kind of assume that since I can't find anything about it having one that it doesn't. Does anyone know for sure?
If it doesn't, I would prefer a portable surge protector so I don't have to worry about installation. Are the portable ones any good?

TIA

Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #3

The term EMS has many uses from Load Control to Surge/Spike/Power Protection. It gets very confusing about who is talking about what.

Magnum Energy makes inverters, so I am not sure what you are referring to by "Magnum Energy's EMS".

Newmar uses the term EMS for an automatic load control system made by E-Plex (from Airpax Products now Sensata Technologies) and it is just a load control system and does not have any Surge/Spike/Power protection built in. It simply sheds loads in a priority sequence when loads exceed the set input load thresholds.

There are also manual load control systems where you can manually select loads to shed for different power input situations.

Inverters do not have built in Surge/Spike/Power protection or load control either from the 120v input side or on their own 120v output side whether it is inverted or by-passed thru. An inverter will switch from shore to battery in micro-seconds thus giving you a form of constant power to inverted appliances.

On the Surge/Spike/Power protection side the two biggies are Progressive Industries and SurgeGuard. Both come in wired and portable models. Generally it seems Progressive has the edge in protection. I run a portable Progressive Industries. Make sure to buy a ski type cable lock to keep an honest person honest with that $400 item just sitting outside. These devices provide high/low voltage cut off, incorrect wiring cut off, and some spike protection. They do not "condition" or smooth or "filter" power.

I also run Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) for all my computer and AV equipment for smoother/cleaner power output and for additional spike protection and some level of power conditioning. A UPS switches faster and cleaner than the Surge/Spike/Power devices or even the inverter itself.

There are also devices called autoformers which boost voltage for high draw devices like AC units. If you are in a low-voltage brownout situation, I would suggest the best thing is to let your Surge/Spike/Power cut the power to the coach, go out and unplug the coach if it is expected to be long term, and then start the genset. Hence, I suggest to skip using autoformers. As for your low draw sensitive electronics, let a UPS handle any brownout problems there.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #4

You're right Jeff, my mistake, a slight moment of brain gas/cranial inversion... My EMS is an Intellitec 50 Amp Smart Energy Management System, not a Magnum Energy product. The manuals for this system say nothing about it having a surge protector built in, and from what you're saying since none of the others Newmar uses do. I would probably be safe figuring this one doesn't either. I'd rather add one and err on the side of safety.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #5

This is something that I've also been thinking about. We have just ordered a 2008 Kounty Aire 5th wheel, that should be being built shortly at the factory.

I didn't see a surge protector offered as a standard or optional item on this unit, but maybe Newmar would hard wire one in during manufacture (????) or we could have this done by the dealer after we pick up the unit.

You can buy a 50amp Progressive unit with a digital remote display for about $325.00.
I like the idea of having it hardwired into the unit versus hanging one outside. (They also have a 3 vs a 1 yr warranty from Progressive.)

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would probably be safe figuring this one doesn't either </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi John! The MADP does not come with surge protection. We added the hard wired progressive unit. Paul
Old 02-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> maybe Newmar would hard wire one in during manufacture (????) or we could have this done by the dealer after we pick up the unit.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your best bet is your dealer.

Unfortunately, Newmar does not install anything unless it is used on at least one of their models.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I'm not the handiest guy in the world, but I did the install in my coach in about an hour and a half. I used only the 1 readout which I placed in my utility bay verifying all OK at the initial plug in...then if there is a power interupption I go out and check to see if any error codes apply.
I bought my unit through one of the iRV2 sponsors...RV Upgrades
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I forgot to mention that I bought a 3 ft piece of conduit from an electrical supply company to run between the switch and the surge guard rather than shorten my coach cable. $7/ft a year ago!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #10

Yesterday I spoke with a gentleman at Progressive Industries and he indicated he would be at the Pamona FMCA and I think the Newmar Prerally and also at Newmar International in June. He will sell and install the unit. Apparently Newmar owners are his best customers. He is very familiar with installations on all models.

Due to the convenience I am going to have one installed there.

I just wonder why Newmar does not install a surge protector in their coaches. Many other coach makers include them. They are a must in my opinion.

RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote