RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Magnum Inverter, controller, use the timer?

Hi - I remember seeing a post some time back where a person said he has his inverter on all the time, but has the timer set so that at certain times, when he is connected to shore power, some outlets in the RV are run from the inverter/batteries and other 110v devices are powered by shore power.

In that way, the power consumption from shore power is reduced.

I can't find that post. Argh.

If I were to set my Inverter controller likewise, would my solar panels provide some of the power and if there is excess, recharge the batteries, so that at the end of the programmed time window, solar power would have recharged some or all of the power consumed from the batteries during the day?

In the end, if there is a way to reduce the consumption of shore power by running some of the RV off the solar panels/coach batteries, I would like to do that. If it were an overcast day when the solar panels weren't putting out much, it wouldn't give much advantage because all the wattage drawn from the batteries during from the day would be replaced (plus conversion inefficiency) at night after the inverter window closed. On the other hand, if the sun were out nice and bright, it might be worth it.

Thanks!

ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is what I do in AZ to save on the APS power bill. I have 400W of solar on the roof, with a Magnum 2000W pure sine inverter, my battery charger on Magnum panel is off unless we have multiple days without sunshine. Therefore any DC loads, ie lights, fantastic fans, gas refrigerator, etc., are supplied by solar panels/battery bank during the day, and battery bank at night. 400W solar is enough to supply any and all DC loads during the day, and bring my battery bank back to 100% before the sun goes down. I do not scrimp on what I run during the day or night either. Saves me about $20 to $25 per month on power. With your battery charger on it is constantly drawing power from the grid to float charge your batteries, if you notice it is never "0" floating your battery bank.

FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #3

Here's the thread.

An example of using SOLAR
Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikester View Post
With your battery charger on it is constantly drawing power from the grid to float charge your batteries, if you notice it is never "0" floating your battery bank.
That's odd. My Magnum panel is often showing 'float charging' 0 DC amps!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When you read the thread, Neal is using a Magnum ME-ARC50 remote. It has more options than the base Magnum ME-RC or MM-RC remote controllers.
https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/re...emote-controls

Ben that's interesting. The lowest mine gets is 8 amps at 12 volts float charging.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter