Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Main Slide No Start Switch

Does anyone have an idea where the switch is on the main slideout that disables starting? I am having an intermittent problem with no crank. Batteries are good, Starter is new. Thought I had a starting problem two months ago but I forgot the slideout disables starting. I had the no crank problem last weekend when we were on our way back from NC. Shut off to fuel and would not start until I disconnected the starting batteries and reconnected. Started fine the next morning but I never shut it off until we arrived home. Went out today to start and no crank again. 2003 Kountry Star.
Brian53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Brian 53 to the Newmar forum & irv2,
From what I'm reading your slides have control of your ignition start.
I have a 03 KS and have never run into this situation.
Here is the Newmar slide instructions for their different slide situations.
This is your slide control unit.
Checking your previous posts find out you have a Freightliner chassis.
I still have not seen anywhere where slides will control your DP starting circuit never run into problem on my gas coach.
You have a coach build number where you can go into this link and see if your have any TSB's for your DP with a fix for this type problem.
I checked the general TSB's for 2003 DP's in Technical Reference and found many but they are for the Spartan chassis nothing for your DP and nothing in reference to a starting problem for their DP's.
Your number similar to mine would look like 700963 add CS ---700963CS.
Once you input number you have access to your pacific coach, if you have a problem let us know.
Just checked your controler on pin # 9 its for ignition control it must go to a relay to cut off your ignition circuit.
The only problem we need the Freightliner chassis wiring of your DP TO FIND IT.
If you have a main fuse location for your chassis batterys and in that location you may have a group of relays and one for start.
One other thing is you could put in a cut off switch on lead wire #9 and cut off control lead into slide control unit.
I would make sure by testing what this will create when you do this.
Just a side note if you go to the Quick Tips & Mods link you will find other slide controls if the one I gave you isn't the one.
Welcome to the forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I am not exactly sure I have a slide causing my starting situation. At the end of the summer I had an issue with no even trying to turn over exactly like now. I did all my lube and filter changes in prep for going away for the winter, and after I finished it would not crank or even attempt to. After having the started checked and my batteries checked, I thought about maybe having to have the main slide out in to crank. When I put it in everything operated normally. Then last week on the way home from NC, we ran into the no crank problem again after fueling up. I disconnected the starting batteries for 5 minutes to see if there was a code in the computer. It then cranked over fine. Then next morning it cranked and started fine, but I never shut it of until we arrived home in case there was a problem. So yesterday I went out to start it and warm it up a little, and I experienced the same no crank problem. So I was thinking there might be a problem with the slide switch, if there is one. I couldn't find any place where there was one. So maybe I have a problem with a relay some where, but I have no diagrams of the starting circuit that gives me a starting point. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no switch only that lead #9 from slide control that feeds something to your start circuit.
If you have not put out you slides would think that lead would be NOT active.
The lead is to stop you from starting coach with slide out or not allow slide to go out if engine is running.
I have never run into your situation on my coach and have started or put slide out with the engine running.
Not sure if other DP owners have your situation on Spartan's or its just related to FL.
I mentioned to put a switch in lead #9 and see if it stops your problem but you would have to check both situations, slide out start or put slide out with engine running.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #5

I was just reading through the slide out controller PDF and it states the pin 9 is for an input from the ignition to disable the slide from being moved if the ignition is on. That stands to reason based on the way my small slide works. I started the coach with the bed room slide out, and tried to put it in. It would not operate with the coach running. It seems to me that before I had started the coach with the big slide out, but I can't remember. Maybe I will check the two slide controllers and see if they are the same. If so maybe I will swap them out and see if that has any effect. I would sure like to get my hands on a electrical starting circuit diagram for a Freightliner. I think I will call them and see if I can get something. Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
From wht I have seen with other Newmars you can start a coach with the slides out but you can not move a slide while the engine is running or the key is in the "on" position.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #7

I was able to get wiring diagrams from Freightliner for my 2003 Kontry Star. If anyone has a need here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner Wiring Diagrams.pdf (579.1 KB, 976 views)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
From wht I have seen with other Newmars you can start a coach with the slides out but you can not move a slide while the engine is running or the key is in the "on" position.
That is correct.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #9

I want to thank everyone in this group for all the support and assistance. I found and fixed my problem today. While I thought this all had to do with slides it did not. I had corrosion on wiring at the main fuse and start relay. Once I talked to Freightliner customer support I had a starting point of where to look. The corrosion was causing a voltage drop and insufficient voltage to do anything with the start relay. After cleaning everything very well, it started like it is supposed to. Take care all.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not to beat a dead horse, a Workhorse chassis thing, the negative side of the batterys and converters, inverters needs to be checked to your chassis frame especially if your traveling around in winter months.
They can become very dirty and corrosive from road grime and salts.
If you find use a star washer under nut so there tight and clean to frame.
Your battery locations may always check out good but its that negative location to frame will be the problem.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #11

I had worked on the grounds a couple months ago. I checked this same location for voltage this summer, however I did not check the input to the fuse. The info I received from freightliner pointed me to the start relay. The diagrams helped me to identify the correct relay, and the additional time allowed additional corrosion on the fuse connections. This was the primary problem. While I was at it i pulled the feed to all the relays and cleaned them. I appreciate all the information. If I hadn't gotten the info on the slides I would have continued to go in the wrong direction. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you some times these dirty corrosive problems can drive everyone crazy.
Thanks for the wiring diagram also, I will post down in FL Forum.