Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #1

Malfunction light came on yesterday

My Malfunction light came on sometime yesterday during a 220 mile trip to my destination. Since this wasn't the Stop engine or Check engine light we continued to our destination but wondering about getting back home now.
A year or so ago it come on one day and was gone the next day never to show up again. I asked a Freightliner tech at the shop, they claim to work on engines and chassis both, when I was in for other repairs what this meant. He claimed it was probably a glich since it disappeared.

Anyone know what all Malfunctions it might be referring to and how serious this might be?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is the quote from the Cummins manual:
"The MIL illuminates when the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) detects a malfunction related to the emissions control system. The illuminated MIL indicates that the engine needs to be serviced at the first available opportunity and can be illuminated along with any
of the engine indicator lamps. It is not used to indicate an “engine protection” or “maintenance required” condition."
If it not stays on steady, it was an intermittent issue and I would not worry about it.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

I had one come and stay on for about 3 hours of driving and then went off. While it was on I called Freightliner and they walked me thru the diognostic and told me it was a temperature sensor on the def system. The light went off prior to arriving at Cummins but they were still able to pull up the code and replace the sensor.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #4

my recent MIL 'engine' light was related to the emissions system, which stayed on for over 1,000 miles, until Cummins found that it was a bad NOX sensor. Since replaced it has not returned... so far so good.

but, yes, it is a little unnerving when ANY light comes on while traveling!!

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The MIL light operation I'm sure is the same for diesel as it is for gas engines. This is a government regulation not a manufacturer thing. Well the GOV mandated it but the manufacturers make it and they have to follow gov guidelines.

A MIL (Maintenance Indicator Light) Also called the CEL (Check Engine Light) will ONLY come on when something has compromised the emissions of the system. Yes GAS and DIESEL are different but they both have emission guidelines to deal with.

Things like a misfire, open ignition coil, vacuum leak, etc. If what ever caused the MIL to come on was a one time only issue after so many starts of the engine if the condition causing the MIL does not reoccur then the code will be erased. If what ever caused the MIL is intermittent then the MIL code may stay stored in the CPU.

One example with a gas engine would be this. You see the MIL light come on. You pull the engine cover and find a rodent has chewed through an ignition 12 volt coil wire. So you fix it. That signal does not occur again so the light goes out and after X number of starts the code is erased.

Just because a MIL comes on then goes out does not mean that the problem is fixed or the code is stored. Some codes used to be called SOFT and some were called HARD. Soft codes went out after some time and hard ones stayed on until read and fixed.

I did not work on diesel systems so maybe the diesel coding system is set up different but I doubt the differences are greater than the similarities.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The digital window on your dash screen will display diagnostics (codes). You can go to the diagnostics screen and get the code. The code numbers used are Freightliner developed code numbers, not Cummins. Once you find the code, call Freightliner and they will tell you what the code means. Yo might want to write down the code and the Freightliner's description for future use.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

Thanks Don. I've never been very comfortable with the Freightliner information screen and usually just keep it on Fuel Econ, Compass direction, and outside temperature but I'm trying to find how to reach the Diagnostic screen with very little luck.
I'm also trying to figure out how to get there using the Freightliner manual with even less luck. Any easy suggestions what to look for from the screen I'm usually in?
Old 04-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

Hollered before I was hurt, I think. Managed to follow some of the FL chart in the manual and got to Diagnostics, then Engine Diagnostics, then Engine Fault (1 of 1) with a 14 digit number. Assume that's what I need to read to Freightliner? Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am surprised they didn't just hook their laptop up and read the fault history. I was under the impression that most every Freightliner or Cummins shop would have "insite"... the software they usually use to diagnose, reflash, regen, etc....
Old 04-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
My Malfunction light came on sometime yesterday during a 220 mile trip to my destination. Since this wasn't the Stop engine or Check engine light we continued to our destination but wondering about getting back home now.
A year or so ago it come on one day and was gone the next day never to show up again. I asked a Freightliner tech at the shop, they claim to work on engines and chassis both, when I was in for other repairs what this meant. He claimed it was probably a glich since it disappeared.

Anyone know what all Malfunctions it might be referring to and how serious this might be?
When is the last time you changed you engine fuel filter(s)?
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Last June, about 4-5,000 miles ago. Both filters along with oil & filter.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
Might as well ask what your tire pressures are. The malfunction light is associated with the after treatment system and usually relates to the DEF, as others have mentioned.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #13

I'm running on the 1/2 tank of DEF that set through the winter. We didn't have any zero temps but several days in the middle teens. Could there be something wrong with this DEF and if so, what should I do with it? Finish filling the tank with fresh DEF or burn off this 1/2 tank before adding any fresh? Don't remember doing anything special last winter but also don't remember how much was in the tank during the winter.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #14

Actually DEF lasts longer in cold weather and can even be frozen. It is more likely to have gone off if it was there for a year or more and was in hot weather during the summer. Burning it off will mean a lot of driving so I would drain it and replace with fresh. My state DEP said it was OK to dump antifreeze down the drain so I would think DEF would be OK too, but you may want to check your local rules on this.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light