Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Manual slide locks

2008 Bay Star 2701
I'm the second owner. I just got it 2 months ago. I've been having issues with the rear slide extending. It acts like it's binding at the top. I was able to get it to work by pulling down on the middle of the slide lock on the far side. I've never locked them so I'm assuming that they are vibrating locked on their own while in motion.
It's been doing this now just about every time. But now I can't get it to extend. I found the slide lock tool but I don't know how to use it. An illustration or picture would be great.
MitchMcQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
The manual slide locks can sometimes be moved by hand by pushing the clamp in center up to unlock or pushing down center to lock.

If locks have not been used before the slide has not been compressing the seal for easy application. Will find picture for you. The bedroom locks will be difficult to see and may need a flashlight to see in crack space.

The slide topper if to tight will hold top of slide from moving out so bed may lift up. The locks clamp have a ball bearing inside clamp which you can see when beds inside, a drop of 3n1 oil may help in operation of locking bar.
The rubber seal around slide should be compressed so no air or water, if raining while driving, will not blow in.

The end with two hooks will hook depending on intent to lock or unlock bar, hook on the bar close to wall and the pin in center will hook on top the center clamp to push down to lock or under the clamp to lift up to unlock. Practice on the large slide out front where there is more room to see what your trying to do. If the bar seems to lose you can remove it from wall and gently tap clamp with ball bearing to close clamp slightly to grip bar better. -- PICTURE

Some links you need, important links for Newmar owners, all the links below in my signature have answers to problems for your Newmar, Brochure, Owners Guide,, help in getting around irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The manual slide locks can sometimes be moved by hand by pushing the clamp in center up to unlock or pushing down center to lock.

It appeared that it needed to be pushed down in the center to unlock. That could be the problem. I'll have to try watching the dinette slide behind the driver seat (assuming they work the same).
MitchMcQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They all work the same you push up to unlock and down to lock and up to unlock.
The bar will fold up as slide goes out and when it comes in you may hear a bang as it unfolds coming in.
I am wondering if your locks have been install reversed.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Manual slide locks

Mine push down in center to unlock.
Unlocked position
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2653.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	207874
Tool positioned to lock by lifting handle up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	207873
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #6

Our new 2018 Bay Star push down to unlock as well. Several (Rear FW lock and Rear Bedroom) won't stay locked and rattle to the unlocked position while driving. Gap is too large to use a tennis ball wedged against pivot point to hold pressure to prevent rattles and unlocking while driving.
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #7

Also, if you're having a hard time with the rear locks, you can get better access by opening the small window in the slide itself. Because it's a pain in the a$$ to get to the back lock on the rear side, I only ever lock the front lock on the rear slide. Never had a movement problem.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I taped a small flashlight in the slide locking tool. I got that idea from someone else on one of these forums.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUME91 View Post
Our new 2018 Bay Star push down to unlock as well. Several (Rear FW lock and Rear Bedroom) won't stay locked and rattle to the unlocked position while driving. Gap is too large to use a tennis ball wedged against pivot point to hold pressure to prevent rattles and unlocking while driving.
Mine used to do that until I found that the part of the slide lock closest to you slides up and down at its mounting point. After you lock the slide if you move the locking bar closer to you and lift up you can slide the lock up which changes its angle and keeps it locked.

Hope that makes sense
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Mine push down in center to unlock.
Unlocked position
Attachment 207874
Tool positioned to lock by lifting handle up.
Attachment 207873
Thanks for the pictures SPK64 and yes they do drop down to unlock. One of us had them install just the opposite on my 2003 coach?

Tags
manual, slide