RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #1

My only real disappointments with my DSDP are the owners manual, instruction books, etc. They are practically useless - unless you are already a "pro" and then, of course you don't really need them! Frankly, my 02 Winnebago gasser had a FAR superior owners manual. Are there any after market books, manuals I can buy? I can't even find where the Generator's oil filter, air filter, etc are! I guess I have to take off the whole shroud to see them? Has anyone else complained to Newmar about this?

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #2

My only real disappointments with my DSDP are the owners manual, instruction books, etc. They are practically useless - unless you are already a "pro" and then, of course you don't really need them! Frankly, my 02 Winnebago gasser had a FAR superior owners manual. Are there any after market books, manuals I can buy? I can't even find where the Generator's oil filter, air filter, etc are! I guess I have to take off the whole shroud to see them? Has anyone else complained to Newmar about this?

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 04-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can go to each MFG'S web site and download a maintinance booklet for GEN, MICRO,REFER, etc,etc. You will have up to date versions of your appliance.

Try link ALSO

Congrats on your MH.
How about some KARMA to go along with that new MH.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #4

Do you guys stay on line all the time?! I'm always amazed that I get almost immediate response to a post or question!(and I'm on the left coast.) Thanks for being there and guiding us "newbies" through the land mines out there. Certainly going to the MFG websites will work, but I'd have thought Newmar would have done a better job. If I hadn't gone to Life On Wheels 2 times, I wouldn't even known where to start looking - even for the iRV2 website.

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure if you have a used or new coach. Even the new material is lacking, alot of us have some years behind us and many MH's that have needed fixing. Thats what we are here for to help out where we can.
When the weather gets better the answers maybe a little slower just hang in there the answer will be picked up by someone.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #6

I totally agree with OpaRon on the owners manuals. I have a Kountry Star gasser, and my owners manuel is for the diesel version of the same coach. I have learned many things here on this great forum that were not even covered in the manuels. I also had a Winnebago,and thier manuels are excellent. Pictures,diagrams,and step by step directions for certian tasks. That is our only conplaint with Newmar, we just love our coach.
nowrelxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I had started another post recently about this. The good news is that Newmar is improving their documentation. The new DVD manuals are now coming out which I believe will help with inexperienced RVers.

Despite what documentation does come out, the best resource is this forum. I would get familiar with the search tool as the answer to almost any question is in here somewhere. You will also not find more generous people with their time and advice.

The forum has a great culture of self-deprecating humor and teasing that reassures that you're not the only one struggling with whatever questions/issues you might have.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

My 2006 coach came with individual manufacturers manuals for components such as the generator, hydro-hot, refrigerator, etc.
I finally received the DVD from Newmar, BUT am I the only one who can't seem to navigate into the schematics, fuse locations, plumbing runs, etc. My laptop has a DVD drive and I have adobe software, but the only info I can get is the top level index...welcome to Newmar and the top level 11 chapters of fluff.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ronnie-- You need to have the DVD in and not loaded. Go explore the drive it's in and you will see the PDF folder with the diagrams. They don't tell you this at least not in 2005.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #10

Yep, I agree. I can see the number of RVs you've had!! Wow!! We have a new coach (bought the last 2005 on the lot.) I've had several answers to my question(s). One good one was how to access the info on the DVD that came with the unit. I'll try that first. Mainly I think I'll just bother you guys with my "dumb" questions, because I'm sure I'll get both the right and the best answer - those always come from experience. Thanks again!
Ron

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 04-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #11

I totally agree with you - on all counts. This is truly the very best source of good info on RVing on the web - period! BTW, how do you like your Verizon aircard? We couldn't get any of them to work in our current location - too many hills and trees, etc. But, when we leave for the SE next October, I expect to have some kind of EVDO card, and maybe in a router for total wireless, since we use both PC and Mac laptops.

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 04-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #12

Thanks for that info! My 2005 has the DVD and I watched it on TV, but didn't try to use Explore on my computer - DUH!

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> BTW, how do you like your Verizon aircard? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OpaRon,

As I've said a few times on the forum, I love the AirCard. It is a perfect fit for us as we travel in the coach only about 6-8 weeks a year. Speed is great, especially on RevA. We also have to go to conventions or visit family but, still stay connected while there so we can easily move it with us.

Finally, we can suspend it when not needed such as over the summer when we are at our home location running the campground. That saves us a few hundred bucks.

However, the ideal set-up for speed and flexiblity is the satellite and phone card. But, it can be hard to justify the expense.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #14

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Kaylargo- Thanks I went to the drive and found the required folder..
Only two drawings for the 4306 and both have scant information. I was hoping to see contents of each fuse box, more detail on elecrical runs and plumbing details.
Guess I'll get out the magnifying glass and make my own fuse location drawings.

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote