Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I lost all confidence with google maps when people trying to find me couldn’t , delivery services getting lost, and I tried google maps to get me home. It’s not that I live in the boonies, I live on a main road just outside of a town. So I use a Garmin 770 when in the RV, Apple maps when in my car. They both do well or both do bad.

OTOH, I just returned from a trip to Cava Robles RV Resort in Paso Robles, and the trusty Garmin threw me down the backroads path that nearly got me trapped! Yet, my buddy drove RIGHT UP TO the resort using Google Maps!!

My friend has been relying on Google Maps for his trips and testifies that it, routinely, will provide more accurate routing and locations that anything else. After that last jaunt in the dirt backroads, I tend to agree.

One MAJOR factor that we all have to recognize is, HOW OFTEN mapping services are updated! In this case, it’s quite clear that Garmin isn’t aware of the new resort, and more important, is NOT aware of some critical roads that are marked “do not enter, turn no turn around” etc.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #58

Wonder if Google will ever incorporate low bridges. Based on their map and satellite data, I would think that would be easy for them.

Still not sure what to do with Copilot, do you need to now purchase the RV version?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bell View Post
redbaron73

In case no one responded to your request about the routing for Garmin 770 to Branson...this is what I got using a 2019 London Aire profile.
This route would be a disaster in a 40ft motorhome. That right turn onto Branson landing is almost impossible with an empty street, and that street is rarely empty
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This route would be a disaster in a 40ft motorhome. That right turn onto Branson landing is almost impossible with an empty street, and that street is rarely empty
I never let a GPS take me anywhere. The image you requested is a good example of that. I want to create a route, see all the low clearances (currently 4634 under 14 feet in my database), mountain grades, fuel stops, weight/length restrictions and attractions along the route, then automatically view the entire route in Google Earth. Once I like it I send it to my Garmin 770, so you never hear me say the GPS had me drive down a dirt road with a 8 foot bridge and then into a lake. Been doing it this way for seven years and I'm usually in about 40 different campgrounds a year. FYI - this free software is not for everyone and only works with Garmin products.
JABell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #61

Quote:
Once I like it I send it to my Garmin 770...

...Been doing it this way for seven years

...FYI - this free software is not for everyone and only works with Garmin products.

Good workflow for sure. Please clarify WHAT software you’re using to make a route and send it to your 770. Strictly Google Earth? Base camp?
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Good workflow for sure. Please clarify WHAT software you’re using to make a route and send it to your 770. Strictly Google Earth? Base camp?
CaptainGizmo, first I travel alone, I don't have a copilot or anyone to even help me back into a camping spot. So I want to kinda know where I'm going before I start. I also like to avoid campgrounds with trees...I don't want anything touching or falling on the coach. I also tow a Jeep, so no backing up and I have to move each vehicle myself when hooking up.

I use BaseCamp, it's connected with Google Earth, it took me a long time to learn it 7-8 years ago, it's got bugs, but everyone knows who to deal with them. Then I added my own stuff to Garmins database, low clearances, Flying J's with RV lanes (all free) etc. I pay for a subscription for Low Clearances.

As Garmin transitions to being LIVE in real time with it's devices (more like WAZE) to try and save the auto sales from being killed off by cell phones, they no longer supports their old software. This has pissed off a lot of people and not the first time they have done this. If the RV and truck people get the same new solution they are offering hiking and off road devices (not sure which ones) they are going to run into the "RV People" that don't always have an internet connection and need to make a profile of the vehicle they are driving along with the specific items that the other users don't have.

If you download the free program for your computer make sure you download version 4.6.2 and NOT the last version of 4.7. The latest update was to comply with new EU standards. In that update, Garmin broke several things, like the integration with Google Earth.

You can still find the download at: Index of /perry/mapsource Use BaseCamp_462.exe ONLY...because your using an older version of BaseCamp you need an older version of Google Earth. I'm using Google Earth Pro ver: 7.3.2.5491 (32-bit) with Windows 10.

First images is a simple route from Midway RV in Grand Rapids MI to Newmar showing Hidden Ridge RV Resort, Play-Mor Campground near Newmar and some fuel stops.

Second image is another route showing nearby low clearances, one steep grade, campgrounds and fuel stops. Those are the items I add into the database. You can add anything and give it a custom icon.

Third image is close up detail of a fuel stop which I can verify that I'm in the RV lanes and not the auto or truck lanes with the last image.

Fourth image - verification of placement of POI

Of course you can look at the street view at any point.

Once you have what you want, plug the GPS into the computer and transfer route(s)...then verify the device has calculated it correctly. If your maps and profile match, the routes should match.

Hope that helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BaseCamp 1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	235730   Click image for larger version

Name:	BaseCamp 3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	235731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BaseCamp 4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	235732   Click image for larger version

Name:	BaseCamp 6.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	235733  

Old 02-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #63

Question Help with Basecamp

I am currently using the Garmin 770 RV with Basecamp. Unfortunately I have the new 4.7 version of Basecamp. I would love to link with Google Earth.

The 770 is hands down better than any off line GPS I have ever seen. Basecamp has amazing capabilities. I struggle to learn all the complexities required to give it those capabilities. Neither is perfect. Neither am I.

On my PC at home I use Google maps in a separate window and transfer data manually in custom waypoints in Basecamp. Mostly hotel and campground links, phone, etc.

On the road I use the 770 as my backup camera monitor and GPS along with my Pathfinder built in Nav. The 770 provides the continuous instruction flow. The built in is particularly good at displaying all the surrounding map details for a local area. I can zoom in and out using a real button on the dash without taking my eyes off the road. Don't believe me? Well, maybe I look a little.

I would like to be able to use Basecamp without plugging my Garmin into the PC. I would be grateful if anyone can tell me how. I have downloaded a streets map, but I can't figure out how it unlock it. The obvious links require a code or yellow slip of paper with a code that I don't have.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I am currently using the Garmin 770 RV with Basecamp. Unfortunately I have the new 4.7 version of Basecamp. I would love to link with Google Earth.

You will need to remove BaseCamp and all folders then reinstall 4.6.2 to be able to use Google Earth with BC. The link below can help with the Google Earth setup. On the Garmin Forum, you can find others that have done the same thing.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac-windows-software/windows-software/basecamp-aa

I would like to be able to use Basecamp without plugging my Garmin into the PC. I would be grateful if anyone can tell me how. I have downloaded a streets map, but I can't figure out how it unlock it. The obvious links require a code or yellow slip of paper with a code that I don't have.
You shouldn't have to plug the device into the computer to use BC. Are you doing that so you can see a map? If you have a 770 then you should have LTM (lifetime maps for free) The link above to the Garmin Forum can get you help for all those issues.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #65

Coastal Campers
I see there are several versions of the Garmin 770, which version is best for RV use?
Dezl, RV, LMT?
Thanks
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
I see there are several versions of the Garmin 770, which version is best for RV use?
Dezl, RV, LMT?
Thanks
dezl is for trucking
LMT stands for Lifetime maps and traffic
the only RV device is the 770
Old 02-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #67

Coastal Campers
Quote:
dezl is for trucking
LMT stands for Lifetime maps and traffic
the only RV device is the 770
Thanks
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Garmin also has the RV660LMT
Old 02-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Garmin also has the RV660LMT
website doesn't show that available right now, I wonder what Garmin has in the future for the RV industry
Old 02-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
You can Google the Garmin 770 vs 660 the 770 I think it just has a 1” larger screen?