Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #1

We are getting ready to change the mattress in the RV. The one that came with it is causing too many back aches. Do any of you ave tempurpedic or select comfort mattresses? Would you recommend either?

2007 Newmar All Star 3950
BSFocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #2

We are getting ready to change the mattress in the RV. The one that came with it is causing too many back aches. Do any of you ave tempurpedic or select comfort mattresses? Would you recommend either?

Old 07-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #3

We simply covered our mattress with a Tempurpedic cover-works great(so comfortable, that when at our home base we still sleep in the coach)no need to change mattress!
Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #4

We have already added a 1 1/2 inch foam topper without good results. The other thing we have thought of doing is buying 2 4" foam toppers and just removing the mattress.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
ET

Our's came with a Queen pillow top and we added a 4" Novafoam topper from Costco. Nice thing about Costco, if you don't like it you can return it. They also have a 12"¯ Novafoam 12"¯ mattress for around $700.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try this go to " FIND' above and type in 'new mattress" leave the check mark, see what others have done.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the Sleep Number in ours. Still love it after 2 years. She can have it her way, I can have it mine.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #8

We replaced the factory mattress in our Ventana with one of the knockoff tempurpedics from Levitz. Queen size was $500. I have to admit that it took a little while to get used to it but now when it comes time to replace the one in the house, it will be one of those. Most comfortable thing I've ever slept on.
MarcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #9

We have Temperpedic at home and replaced our coach's with a Dormia (Temperpedic knock-off) at $999 when the coach was new two years ago. 250 nights and 2 years later we decided it was not holding up and providing the same level of support our deluxe Temperpedic had provided at home for 5+ years.

So we changed to a new delux Temperpedic just like we have at home for about $2500 including tax and delivery. The great thing about it is that it feels just like the bed at home so when we're on the road we can not tell the difference. The better half has had severe rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years and she just needs a great bed. I like it because I sleep the same as I do at home, and the Temperpedic just holds up so well.

They cost more, especially for the delux (mid-level price point) version but they sleep wonderfully and do a fantastic job of keeping th engine heat from warming the bed too much on a hot day.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They cost more, especially for the delux (mid-level price point) version but they sleep wonderfully </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If life has taught me anything it's buy good shoes and good mattress.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #11

If its a standard queen 80 x 60 just go to Mattress Discounter or Sleepys and buy the one you like just watch the height of the mattress when you install it and close the bedroom slide
There is close to a 75% mark up in mattress just keep low the price on mine was $1900 dollars I ended up paying 650 good luck you can have my newmar upgrade pillow top
G Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #12

How heavy are the Temperpedic mattress' ?
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #13

We bit the bullet and ordered a Bear Bed today. Hopefully it will be all that we want and the backs will stop aching.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Not that it will make a difference to what you chose to buy...but Sacs and I got rid of the Select Number mattress that came with the coach and bought one of the NovaForm mattresses from Costco. We have the same in the "sticks & bricks" and love the mattress.
The mattress is heavier...(it is probably about 100 lbs) but well worth having it.

MM

PS...We did sell the Select Number mattress to someone here on the forum and they love it

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote