Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Mattress talk from Newmar owners

Hello Everyone

Our coach came with a queen pillow top mattress. After 4 months, I surmised my lower back pain upon waking was a direct result of the pillow mattress in the coach. Has anyone discovered this ? I just ordered a replacement from one our sponsors, Mattressinsider. They were very accommodating during the ordering process. Their warranty seems to be great offering a full refund within 30 days (just donate the unit) and after 30 days, before 90 days, send it back for a full refund. I figured the bet that the mattress would solve my problem was a good bet.

I am wondering if other Newmar owners were forced to replace their new pillow top mattress and if anyone has purchased the foam mattress from MattrassInsider and if so, their overall assessment of the mattress.

many thanks
Jeffreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

Ours came with a "luxurious pillow top mattress" which shows as an upgrade. I'm not sure if that is the same mattress that came with yours. If not I would try it if your new mattress doesn't work out.

So far it has been great, we have a real high end foam mattress at home, and to be honest we both sleep better and more comfortable on the MH mattress. Our longest trip so far has been about four weeks long with no issues/back pain ect....Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I want to replace this Sleep Number mattress with a foam unit. I looked at several mfrs., including Mattress Insider, but so far haven't found what I want. An 8 in. Mattress just isn't enough foam to really be comfortable, in my experience, so gotta keep looking. Because mattress comfort can be very subjective, one really needs a sleep warranty with whatever you buy. Some warranties are good, like M.E.'s , and others merely allow you to swap for one of their other mattresses, which may or may not be what you need. Further complicating the purchase may be the need for rounded corners. This can put you into the "custom" category, which may mean there's no warranty.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

We have a Tempurpedic in the house and when we bought the coach (used) knew we wanted a new mattress and also wanted foam. We bought the 8" foam from Matress Insider. So far we like it, it is not as comfy as the Tempurpedic, but it beats the original by a country mile.

I am thinking it would be even more comfortable if there was a Golden Retriever on the bed with us
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
The mattress that came in my coach was very comfortable for me. My wife hated it. When we went full time, we put the Sleep Number mattress from home into the coach. It took a little work to get the compressor in a good spot and run the hoses to the mattress, but well worth the effort.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Also shopping for a mattress...
Came across Amerisleep...
They have a 10" & 12"...
Memory Foam Mattress Buying Guide
Bob

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I want to replace this Sleep Number mattress with a foam unit. I looked at several mfrs., including Mattress Insider, but so far haven't found what I want. An 8 in. Mattress just isn't enough foam to really be comfortable, in my experience, so gotta keep looking. Because mattress comfort can be very subjective, one really needs a sleep warranty with whatever you buy. Some warranties are good, like M.E.'s , and others merely allow you to swap for one of their other mattresses, which may or may not be what you need. Further complicating the purchase may be the need for rounded corners. This can put you into the "custom" category, which may mean there's no warranty.

Very interesting, Slabs. Our take on this is identical to yours. When we bought our loaded Ventana 3433 from the "largest Newmar dealer in the country", it came equipped with the Sleep Number mattress as a $1,200 option. Our high expectations were dashed. We tried it. We hated it. Could not get it to level properly for either side, had the dealer work on it on our punch list to no satisfaction and after arriving home in Pennsylvania after our trip from Florida, we promptly set it aside in favor of a Tempurpedic Simplicity model (8") which we have loved from the moment we slept on it. Have been completely satisfied with the Tempurpedic but just could not find a way to like the Sleep Number mattress.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
Hello Everyone

Our coach came with a queen pillow top mattress. After 4 months, I surmised my lower back pain upon waking was a direct result of the pillow mattress in the coach. Has anyone discovered this ? I just ordered a replacement from one our sponsors, Mattressinsider. They were very accommodating during the ordering process. Their warranty seems to be great offering a full refund within 30 days (just donate the unit) and after 30 days, before 90 days, send it back for a full refund. I figured the bet that the mattress would solve my problem was a good bet.

I am wondering if other Newmar owners were forced to replace their new pillow top mattress and if anyone has purchased the foam mattress from MattrassInsider and if so, their overall assessment of the mattress.

many thanks
We have the deluxe sleep number that came with coach; we added a 4 inch cool foam topper and now we have the best of two mattress. individual firmness control and soft foam topping works great for my back and hips.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Purchased the 8in foam with gel top from mattress insider
Very satisfied
Built to fit our bed in our rig
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Deek, how did you make it fit the RV platform?....or is it a Queen size?

This outfit seems to have all the bases covered, no matter what config. You want. Haven't called them yet. The Copia model looks like the one I need.

http://www.tempflow.com/mattress-rec...tion-chart.htm
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Very interesting, Slabs. Our take on this is identical to yours. When we bought our loaded Ventana 3433 from the "largest Newmar dealer in the country", it came equipped with the Sleep Number mattress as a $1,200 option. Our high expectations were dashed. We tried it. We hated it. Could not get it to level properly for either side, had the dealer work on it on our punch list to no satisfaction and after arriving home in Pennsylvania after our trip from Florida, we promptly set it aside in favor of a Tempurpedic Simplicity model (8") which we have loved from the moment we slept on it. Have been completely satisfied with the Tempurpedic but just could not find a way to like the Sleep Number mattress.

Deek
hmmmm.... I wish you'd replaced that mattress! We have Sleep Number in the house & like it but I'm not thrilled with the the SN in the coach. It's just not comfy. You did a good job on everything else.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #12

I ordered my london aire with no bed. We always put the same matress that we sleep on at home in our coach. This way my body doesnt know the difference
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
What this thread tells me is that mattresses are unique to the specific individual. What one likes another hates. For example, we had a Temperpedic at home and a sleep number came in our Ventana. I liked the sleep number much better than the temperpedic so we ordered another air bed for home.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #14

It is funny how we all like something different. Our Anthem came with a sleep number bed. We were excited because we had heard so much about them. For us it was torture trying to sleep on it. We just couldnt figure out what people saw in them. From what I read tons of people love them just not us.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar