Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maytag refrigerator lock

I have the Maytag residential refrigerator in our Ventana and cannot keep the locking mechanism engaged while we are driving. I am finding that the plastic locking slider keeps rattling loose and on three occasions I've had the door fly open and hit the dinette bench (I now have an unsightly dent in the door ) I've even jammed a rubber wedge between the slider and the doors and that eventually falls out as well. I typically drive at 60 to 62 mph so excessive hot rodding is not causing the problem!

Additionally, the spring pin that engages the freezer door in that sliding mechanism continually drops down into the door so even if the lock is latched, that door will occasionally fly open. I can fish the pin out of the door and rotate it back into position but that's a daily task when we are on the road.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems with this locking system? Thanks

Scott
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a long thread by Brigadoon for a Maytag that he might have come up with a solution to your problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks "007". Nice job by Brigadoon on his installation and documenting it for the rest of us.

However, I've only found two solutions in this thread to the issue of securing the fridge doors while traveling. I has really hoping for a more secure and technical solution than velcro straps or a colorful bandana!

I have the fridge with the bottom freezer door so the bandana doesn't help much with this problem.

I can only assume that everybody with the Maytag residential fridge option on their Newmar coach has a locking mechanism that works perfectly? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks

Scott
Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I had the same problem in my 2012 Ventana. The factory has worked on the lock on two separate occasions. The last time they put two mollies in the door and this appears to have fixed the lock for good but I am not positive since I rarely ever travel without using our other solutions for keeping the door closed. I am not exactly sure how they fixed it so you may want to call and ask.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Maytag French Door bottom freezer unit in our coach and have never had the doors come open, and there is NO latching mechanism present to latch the doors. Maybe we've just been lucky, but I always check the way the fridge is loaded to ensure that nothing will slide/roll against the doors pushing them open.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #6

Our 2014 has a latch that is very tight to engage. It has never failed. We do have a small dent from forgetting to engage the latch. Our doors fly open on the first left turn I make if we have forgotten to engage the latch. Our fridge is on the drivers side.
Ted
Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I have some warranty work scheduled for September and will have the latching mechanism checked. Sounds like I may have a fairly isolated problem. I did receive one PM with a potential solution that I will try before the warranty appointment. Appreciate the comments!

Scott
Old 07-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Scott, while I have the Whirlpool, there isn't a real difference between the two. ( Remeber, Whirlpool owns Maytag now). My wife will tell you about the ding on our SS door due to MY forgetting to secure the latch. We have had one of the spring pins go bad, but got a dealer to replace it. Remember, this is a Newmar concoction-the latch, that is. Sometimes it isn't put in with precision...ours scrapes against the bottom of one door and has been adjusted, only to return back to scraping again, making the doors NOT self close any more. You can slide the black plastic piece sideways, exposing the screws holding the bracket in place. It can be adjusted up or down to fit.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Slabman. I had given my DW a bit (well, maybe a lot) of grief over not locking the door but later realized she really had and this darn lock keeps vibrating open. Had to eat a bit of crow on that one.

Newmar had an appliance repair guy come buy to fix the locking pin on the freezer door but by the time we got to our next campsite the pin had vibrated and fallen back down into the door. I thought it might hold if I use some Loktite thread sealant but am concerned that I may never be able to adjust it again. I'll be in Nappanee in a couple of weeks and I'll have them take a look at it.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
SWag

I would ask Newmar about the mollie bolt fix that they performed on mine. There is a noticeable difference in the lock. I believe this is the permanent fix since they adjusted mine first without a long term results.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack,

Can you please post a photo for me so I can better understand this fix? Thanks for your help!

Scott
Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MillerJ, ditto on the pic if you could. I currently do not have a problem with ours since ours practically brand new but, I may have this issue down the road.

Thanks
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator