Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Maytag/Whirlpool Winterize Help

I am currently
In the process of winterizing my DS, I couldn't get the water dispenser on the Maytag refrigerator to draw the pink stuff. I can hear the dispenser pump running. The icemaker won't fill either. The ice & water lock on the control panel is NOT turned on. All the other faucet and water use points winterized easily. I've checked to make sure the supply line valve is open and disconnected the supply line to try to drain it but the water in the line won't drop out. I hooked my compressor to the line at 40psi and still can't get air through the dispenser. My thought at this point is that I have a bad water supply valve on the top of the fridge. So, before I get serious with this by pulling the fridge to replace the valve, does anyone have an opinion of anything else I could try before I get to it?
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ron
Did you pull the filter out? I didn't and that filter takes the color right out. Then I blow the lines with air. As far as the ice maker portion, we hadn't used that since July. I crawled into the bay below the frig where I shutoff the water valve and then disconnected it. By leaving the hose off Im expecting the water to evaporate before it freezes here. Or I could be making a mistake.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Yup, pulled the filter out like you said. Wasn't a factor. You'd think the 40psi of air pressure on the line would push past the valve. I am at a loss and don't want a ruptured line. I'm not sure that leaving the line disconnected will help if it's still holding most of the water. Thanks for the reply...

Old 10-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will not rupture line check this link out has both fridge and WD.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #5

Just did mine. I found that the frig must be on (the 'power on' button on the door panel). Also the water line is long, so it may take a while for the fluid to come thru.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

Is the fridge in a slideout? If yes, is the slide extended? The first time we tried to winterize ours we discovered that the supply line was pinched when the FWS was retracted. Extending the slide allowed the antifreeze to pass through. Also the fridge will have to be on for an extended period to get cold enough to try to make ice.
Good luck.
Don
don8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Maytag/Whirlpool Winterize Help

Yes the fridge is in a slideout, but the hose is definitely not linked. I think at this point I've narrowed it down to the inlet valve and will be pulling the fridge out in a couple days. I'll post the results here. Thanks everybody for your input.

-Ron

Old 11-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by don8ch View Post
Is the fridge in a slideout? If yes, is the slide extended? The first time we tried to winterize ours we discovered that the supply line was pinched when the FWS was retracted. Extending the slide allowed the antifreeze to pass through. Also the fridge will have to be on for an extended period to get cold enough to try to make ice.
Good luck.
Don

Don,
Well, my refrigeration repairman came. Prior to him coming I pulled the DS out of storage and completely slid out all slides so we could pull the fridge out to replace the inlet valve (I had not previously done this). Imagine my surprise when the water dispenser began to flow freely! The only thing that changed was the slide being out. So as you said, the line WAS kinked. Now all I have to do is hunt the kink down when I pull her out of storage in December.
Thanks for the input. Working on these can be very humbling.
-Ron

Old 11-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #9

If the frig water supply line kinks everytime the slide is retracted what is the danger of this line rupturing sometime in the near future?

Where will this kink be, behind the frig or in the compartment below the frig somewhere before the shut-off valve near the Oasis? This sounds like a very serious problem that should be resolved before something gets flooded with the broken line.

Another good heads up warning.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #10

Kink/Pinch location

Hi Ron & Wagonmaster:
The water supply line suffers the kink under the slideout. It is located in a v-shaped hanger. As the slideout is retracted the "V" closes and kinks the supply line.

I was able to winterize after discovering this by extending the slide but shared Wagonmaster's concern that you can only kink a line so many times before it ruptures. Since I was still under warranty at that time I turned the problem over to my selling dealer who initiated discussion with Newmar about a solution. They were able to re-route the line sufficiently to allow water to flow while the slide is retracted. You could probably call customer service and see if they have a bulletin on how the re-route could be accomplished.

Glad to be able to help.

Don
don8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a PIB to winterize your fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags