Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

MCD Power Shades - Cool, or Annoying?

At the Hershey RV Show I played a bit with the remote control for the MCD power shades in a Dutch Star. I thought it was very cool to see all the shades come up and down at the push of a button. Then, I started to wonder if in everyday use they would be annoying.

I read recently (only on one irv2 post) that the shade can't be operated manually if you have the power option. I'm thinking that going to get (or find) the remote just to open or close a shade would be a real pain in the butt.

Thoughts?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the manual versions and they work great.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a coach full of MCD shades until two broke and the factory really didn't want to help (no parts available, buy another shade) so I changed everything over to Automotion. Much happier now
Old 10-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We love ours

We love ours. And, the techs at MCD are very helpful and patient if you want help programming additional remotes, reprogramming limits, etc.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #5

I would opt for the manual shades, except for one thing... you cannot operate the pax side window shade from the driver's seat unless you have the electric shade option. Might need to be able to do that while driving.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

We had the MCD shades installed back in 2012. We enjoy ours. The front living area are manual day and auto nights. The bedroom and bathroom are manual both ways. Had one issue and the tech was great to walk me through the re-programming on one shade. Overall they've performed very good.
2013 Newell #1472
2006 Travel Supreme Select
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #7

This is the OP and I should have been way more specific with my questions. Let me try again:

For those that have the MCD power shades with the large remote:

Are you only able to operate the shades with the remote, or can you operate them manually, or with a button on the wall near each blind?

If they can only be operated with the remote do you find it an issue to have to use the remote every time you want to raise or lower a blind?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In QT's # 3 there is a whole section on shades if you need repair or how they operate by members on forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #9

I love mine..when it is bed time..I hit all close..when day time I hit all up and the day shades are down.. It is way easy and for the one shade I open and shut all the time I leave the remote next to that one... The only complaint I have is the remote does not close the front window even with the key off...that would be great.
Dunebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
This is the OP and I should have been way more specific with my questions. Let me try again:

Are you only able to operate the shades with the remote, or can you operate them manually, or with a button on the wall near each blind?

If they can only be operated with the remote do you find it an issue to have to use the remote every time you want to raise or lower a blind?
On our DS, the windshield,driver window and Pass window have rocker switches on the dash to operate them. All the others, you have to use the remote. There are no wall switches or manual capability. I don't have any issue with that.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
you can get extra remotes

Quote:

We have not found it to be a problem to use the large remote for the living area shades. Generally, if the sun is shining into the windows too much on either or both sides, we'll put out the exterior window awnings for the duration of our stay and that way we don't have to fiddle with the interior shades a lot and block our view. So, we end up mostly just putting them down in the evening and up in the morning. If there were a particular shade or two you kept wanting to control from a different place than where you keep your remote, you can get one of the small ones (like the one over your bed) which can be easily programmed to control whichever shades you choose. I bought two of the small remotes. I didn't like having the door shade come down with the group since it makes it harder to go in and out and I so I prefer for it to stay up. So, I un-programmed the door shade from the "all shades" button on the large remote and programmed it to one of the additional small remotes. I have it mounted right by the door. I generally put it down just at Camp Wally and can easily open it standing at the door if needed.
I use the other additional remote in the bedroom. I mounted the remote that was over the bed on the bedroom wall near the bedroom slide button and can control all the bedroom shades without climbing on the bed. I then programmed the extra remote to operate the night shade for the right bedside window and the left bedside window night shades separately and keep it on the nightstand. I like to have the morning light but can now close just one if the sun or a streetlight is shining right in.
The people at MCD were very helpful. They patiently stayed on the phone with me and told me what to do step by step to get everything all programmed. It's really not hard and there are good written instructions so you might not need them at all.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
We have not found it to be a problem to use the large remote for the living area shades. Generally, if the sun is shining into the windows too much on either or both sides, we'll put out the exterior window awnings for the duration of our stay and that way we don't have to fiddle with the interior shades a lot and block our view. So, we end up mostly just putting them down in the evening and up in the morning. If there were a particular shade or two you kept wanting to control from a different place than where you keep your remote, you can get one of the small ones (like the one over your bed) which can be easily programmed to control whichever shades you choose. I bought two of the small remotes. I didn't like having the door shade come down with the group since it makes it harder to go in and out and I so I prefer for it to stay up. So, I un-programmed the door shade from the "all shades" button on the large remote and programmed it to one of the additional small remotes. I have it mounted right by the door. I generally put it down just at Camp Wally and can easily open it standing at the door if needed.
I use the other additional remote in the bedroom. I mounted the remote that was over the bed on the bedroom wall near the bedroom slide button and can control all the bedroom shades without climbing on the bed. I then programmed the extra remote to operate the night shade for the right bedside window and the left bedside window night shades separately and keep it on the nightstand. I like to have the morning light but can now close just one if the sun or a streetlight is shining right in.
The people at MCD were very helpful. They patiently stayed on the phone with me and told me what to do step by step to get everything all programmed. It's really not hard and there are good written instructions so you might not need them at all.
Thanks so much for this; I wasn't aware there were small remotes that could be used in this way. Knowing I can create a setup like yours has me leaning more towards getting the power shades.

Can you send me a photo (or a web link) to the small remote control? I tried to find one on the MCD website but didn't see it.

You mentioned a remote that was over the bed. Does this remote come with the RV and is it permanently mounted over the bed, or is it removeable so it can be used anywhere in the RV?

Greatley appreciate your help.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks so much for this; I wasn't aware there were small remotes that could be used in this way. Knowing I can create a setup like yours has me leaning more towards getting the power shades.

Can you send me a photo (or a web link) to the small remote control? I tried to find one on the MCD website but didn't see it.

You mentioned a remote that was over the bed. Does this remote come with the RV and is it permanently mounted over the bed, or is it removeable so it can be used anywhere in the RV?

MCD calls the small one a "2-channel remote." It's not tiny - about 3"X3"- but certainly a lot smaller than the large 14 channel remote for the living area shades. One of the 2 channel remotes comes with the RV mounted on the bottom of the wooden cabinet over the head of the bed. So, lying in bed, you can reach up and operate the bedroom shades. The mounting bracket is screwed into the wooden cabinet. The remote slides out of the mounting bracket so that the battery can be replaced or so you can move it if you wish. As it comes, it is programmed to operate all three of the bedroom day shades on one channel and all three of the bedroom night shades on the other.
I can't find on the MCD site anymore the price and how to order the 2-channel remote but I've found them to be extremely helpful over the phone, so you could just call them.
Here are photos of the one I've put on the bedroom wall and the one I've put by the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom shade remote.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	143044   Click image for larger version

Name:	door shade remote.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	143045  

Old 10-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:

Can you send me a photo (or a web link) to the s mall remote control? I tried to find one on the MCD website but didn't see it.

We have the powered shades and have no mechanical issues to date. We have also added a separate switch to control the passenger window separate.
However if I had it to do over I would skip the powered shades altogether.
I would prefer to control the shade from each location and not have to double back to finding the remote. If you could also use them by hand in addition to the remote I would be a bigger fan.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power