RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Metal valve stems for the towed

Finally getting around to putting the EEZTire TPMS sensors on the towed; a 2014 Honda CR-V. I was a little leery of the existing rubber valve stems on the OEM Honda wheels, so talked to my local tire guy. He indicated that he'd seen a couple of cases when the rubber ones had cracked due to the constant flexing with the after-market sensors in place. He recommended all-metal valve stems and I had them installed. Cost was around $50, including labor and wheel balancing. I think he cut me a pretty good deal because I buy all my tires from him.

The new valve stems are chrome-plated brass and NOT aluminum. My tire guy was already up on the dissimilar-metals corrosion issues with brass on aluminum and didn't want any part of that. He still recommends using a good anti-seize compound on the valve stem threads when installing the sensors just to be sure.

Had all four wheels balanced with the EEZTire sensors in place even though I don't keep them on when we are not on the road. My tire guy checked the balance with and without the sensors in place and says the sensors (without the "anti-theft" outer case that I never use) make a 3/4 ounce difference. He indicated that 3/4 ounce is right at the top of his tolerance level for balancing, but that putting the metal cap on the valve stem when not using the sensors is enough of a partial weight offset to not cause him any heartburn.

Just passing this information along to anyone who may be interested. My tire guy is a perfectionist and I trust what he tells me. YMMV.

TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post

Had all four wheels balanced with the EEZTire sensors in place even though I don't keep them on when we are not on the road.
FWIW, we also tow a 2014 CR-V andI consider the built-in TPMS system to be a piece of junk. Even with the most up to date software it is still prone to false alarms. There are lots of posts on the Honda CR-V owners forum about the TPMS system.

As a result, what I did was purchase a second "readout" for my TST TPMS system and mounted it permanently in the CR-V. That way I always have a reliable TPMS system which informs me which tire is low rather than a system which is only capable of telling me that "one of your tires may have low (or high) pressure"! JMO

Joel (AKA docj)

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting.

I've never in many years and miles has a rubber valve stem issue due to TPMS sensor. But maybe others have.

I don't use metal stems as they typically tend to more easily get damaged when offroading the jeep. Carry spares that can be installed without breaking down the tire.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
FWIW, we also tow a 2014 CR-V andI consider the built-in TPMS system to be a piece of junk. Even with the most up to date software it is still prone to false alarms. There are lots of posts on the Honda CR-V owners forum about the TPMS system.

As a result, what I did was purchase a second "readout" for my TST TPMS system and mounted it permanently in the CR-V. That way I always have a reliable TPMS system which informs me which tire is low rather than a system which is only capable of telling me that "one of your tires may have low (or high) pressure"! JMO

Joel (AKA docj)
Just so that you fully understand the issue, docj,the 2014 Honda CR-V does NOT have a real tire pressure monitoring system installed. Rather, it uses a wheel speed sensor that bases its "tire pressure monitoring" on the fact that a low tire is generally smaller in diameter and, thus, will rotate faster than normal. Not much of a TPMS in my view! I do understand that later model year Hondas do have a real TPMS system...but, they are not flat-towable due to a new transmission setup.

I like the idea of a second monitor mounted in the towed and think I will do that too. That would also require me to keep the EEZTire sensors on the Honda at all times. My tire guy would be happy with that as it maintains his perfect balance parameter.

TJ
Old 07-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Interesting.

I've never in many years and miles has a rubber valve stem issue due to TPMS sensor. But maybe others have.

I don't use metal stems as they typically tend to more easily get damaged when offroading the jeep. Carry spares that can be installed without breaking down the tire.
One of the differences I see in your experience is that you are not towing a Honda CR-V. Comparing Jeeps and Hondas is kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

It may be something in the valve stems Honda uses that caused what my tire guy has observed. Oh, and I have checked the clearances with the new metal valve stems and the sensors sit well inside the sidewall line, so it will take a pretty good hit to damage them.

TJ
Old 07-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, rubber stems did not work for me due to the TPMS transmitters. Went to metal stems from GMC and everything has worked flawlessly for 13 years.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Just so that you fully understand the issue, docj,the 2014 Honda CR-V does NOT have a real tire pressure monitoring system installed. Rather, it uses a wheel speed sensor that bases its "tire pressure monitoring" on the fact that a low tire is generally smaller in diameter and, thus, will rotate faster than normal.
Yes, I'm painfully aware of how the system is supposed to work. Last month I had a severe blowout on one of the CR-V's tires while driving (not towing). The factory TPMS did alert a moment before the TST, but my instant inclination was to ignore it because it is wrong so often!
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Iíve had the TST system installed in my Rv and Jeep toad for at least half a dozen years and well over 50,000 miles of towing plus another 50,000 on the Jeep. Always had rubber stems on the Jeep and I never remove the sensors except to add air.
I think one of the smartest things to do is remove the anti theft covers on the sensors which gives them a much smaller footprint. Never had one stolen, doubt if we ever will. Also am not a fan of the flo-thru sensors as they are heavier and larger. Itís super easy to just spin off the regular sensor to check tire pressure which I seldom do as I usually check the dash read out before leaving a camping spot. I guess steel stems would be kinda sexy tho.

Jerry & Judy
Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018, Freightliner
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I usually tow a 2000 Chevy Blazer. It has TST 510 sensors mounted on short rubber valve stems. No problem, because the Chevy wheels cradle the valve stems.

I sometimes tow a Haulmark enclosed trailer. It had rubber valve stems until about 30 miles into the first trip with the same TST sensors. One of the rubber valve stems ripped in half from the forces of the spinning wheel. All those valve stems are now steel.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Got the EEZTire sensors installed on the metal valve stems yesterday, and successfully paired up with the receiver. Interestingly, the two sensors that would not pair a few weeks ago, using the OEM Honda rubber valve stems paired up without issue. Could it have been something to do with the rubber valve stems?

I had purchased two new sensors as replacements for the balky ones...and they were not needed. Oh well, now I have a couple of spares.

EEZTire has a video on its website regarding programming sensors, and I was a bit surprised at the technique used to "wake up" balky sensors. I didn't need to use the procedure, but found it interesting. The video is here: https://eezrvproducts.com/downloads-%26-videos

TJ

Tags
ems, tow, valve