Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

MH Problems and/or Annoyances

Getting closer to my final decision and a question is still unanswered in my mind.
Several folks have reported shakedown trip issues on new and used RVs and the varying problems with getting things made right. It seems that the dealer quality, buyers attention to detail/PDI, Brand and Model certainly play into this, plus, with all deference to those that have had the bad experience, the nature of the internet is more criticism than compliment.

Putting aside depreciation $$$ - OMG I can't believe I said that - but I understand both the depreciation aspect and the fact that someone has 'exorcised the demons' and applied their own wear and tear on a used one...

Do you think that a new motorhome will have more problems than a 5 year old one that has been cared for? Remember, depreciation is not relevant to this question (though in reality it is a big deal)

Probably an unanswerable question, but I have to ask. Whatever I buy, I will probably keep it for a loooooong time.

J
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatzGuy View Post
Probably an unanswerable question, but I have to ask.
Actually you just answered your question. On the other hand, there are 1,000's of opinions on this much debated topic. Yeap ... "unanswerable question."
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #3

John,

Good question. First let me clarify that I am speaking from my personal experience, having owned three motor homes from different manufacturers. Presently, I have a 2017 Dutch Star 4369 on order. My current coach is a 2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus. I am fairly certain that my Allegro Bus is relatively problem free because I have worked out all the bugs, so to speak. And I have been meticulous with maintenance and repair. Someone could drive off in my Allegro Bus and have very few problems.

With the 2017 Dutch Star, I expect to have a number of items that will need to be adjusted, replaced or repaired. I am very hopeful that those items are small and only a few. Nonetheless, a new coach can be expected to have certain things that need addressed. The comparison of a well-maintained used coach to a new coach is somewhat like apples and oranges—problems of a different nature.

Now to your decision, you won't have heated floors and Comfort Steer if you were to purchase my Allegro Bus. That and a number of other reasons are why I am upgrading to a new Dutch Star.

I hope that helps.

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #4

I was told when looking that Tiffin and Newmar were the 2 manufactures that were still family owned. And that I should not even look elsewhere. And I should back the years out until the price fit my budget. That turned out to be great advice. I did not want a new motor home especially an all electric model. Nor did I want an engine I had to add diff to. So used worked well for me. I had trouble finding used Newmars for sell. But I knew what I was looking for.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #5

Can't tell you about the 5 year old one, but I can speak to buying new. I think that the "you will have to work out the New MH bugs" is way over exaggerated due to exactly what you said, most will post when they have had problems but most who have no problems rarely post how great their experience has been. Not to say it can never happen and I always feel bad for those who have bad experiences. But I can honestly say we have had only two minor issues, one which was a simple adjustment which they showed me how to do, since we have had ours. When we took it in, they did the work while we waited and watched, and took the MH home the same day. Other than that, which occurred after about 6 months of use, we have not had a single problem, other than tightening a few screws here and there.

We bought new for several reasons, one being we wanted new and I take excellent care of my things and keep them forever, and do all my own maintenance. For the money we were spending I wanted it to be ours and know how it had been taken care of. Also we could not find exactly what we wanted used and I figured when spending this kind of money on a toy we should get what we really wanted, rather than compromising. Another thing to consider is you get a Factory Warranty on both the MH/Components and chassis when you buy new. When we bought ours we actually bought it for about $3000 less than two one year old Canyon Stars we found with the same amenities. I know what one of those sold for as we know the Salesperson personally, but they would not budge on the price. As far as the depreciation I don't really care about that. It's paid for and if we ever do get another one we would just give this one to our Kids to share. I think a lot of people over exaggerate depriciation also, as we have been offered pretty much the same as we paid for it( of course we would lose the tax/license), even though we love ours and are not in the market for a new one. So when buying just make sure you know your prices and get what you really want. Buying a MH you love will last a long time, buying something that you just get by in, will most likely get old quick which will cost you even more money.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I was told when looking that Tiffin and Newmar were the 2 manufactures that were still family owned. And that I should not even look elsewhere. And I should back the years out until the price fit my budget. That turned out to be great advice. I did not want a new motor home especially an all electric model. Nor did I want an engine I had to add diff to. So used worked well for me. I had trouble finding used Newmars for sell. But I knew what I was looking for.
This aligns to how we came to our Tiffin Phaeton, save for the diff (DEF) comment. Good advise, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #7

There are all kinds of stories on new versus previously owned. I had previously bought 4 used motorhomes the youngest being five years old the oldest over twenty. Each and everyone had issues to be addresses, some quite bothersome ($). So this time I decided to buy new and ordered a 2016 Newmar. Before I go forward, let me just say I would do it again.

These things are built by people and as such mistakes will be made. How these mistakes are corrected is important. In my case Newmar forgot to install the rear window, missed installing a heat vent, the guy who installed the Durashield must have found some spiked apples cider on the day he worked on mine, and there have been a few issues with pieces and parts from suppliers. Each and every one of these items has been addressed and at the moment, all is good.

The main difference so far is that when fixing up an old unit I had to pay the cost, this time Newmar paid. Another difference, is that I believe that the dealers work harder to get you in and out if you are paying their service rates versus the discounted warranty rates. But that just could be an opinion and not fact.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 AM   #8

Every one likes new! No doubt about it, nice and clean, all the clutter out of sight, never lived in, etc...
But with any coach, new or used... you will have issues to deal with! Add to that you will have your own to do list, modifications, improvements etc...
When you purchase new, you get a quickie PDI session with a sales rep who may know more, or possibly less than you do about motorhomes.
Used, depending on the individual... you will get much more information, and most likely he will be willing to spend a day or two with you... until you are comfortable.
Most dealers can not wait until you leave the lot with your new pride and joy, so don't sign the paperwork until you have all the details worked out. Do a long test drive... go somewhere and set up the coach as though you were setting up camp, including hooking up the sewer, cable, electric, leveling, slideouts, etc... Back it up into a tight spot, take it on the open highway and drive at speed.
Most likely a private owner would be willing to accommodate the process, and will probably have many improvements already. For example, most coach owner have already had their coach weighed! Probably added a TPMS system! Windshield sunshades! Figured out how to work the AV systems, Slideouts, sewer connections, etc, etc, etc, ..................................
Good luck with your search... and plan to learn something each and every time you hit the road.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:29 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Do you think that a new motorhome will have more problems than a 5 year old one that has been cared for?
Yes, the new MH will have more problems than a 5 year old, well maintained unit.

Once the new unit gets past infant mortality, it should last a few years. This applies equally to both ends of the quality/build spectrum. Regardless if its a top of the line DP or an entry level Class C.

What is the life expectancy of a MH???? I'd say average 10 - 15 years, but depends greatly on build quality and use environment. A well maintained MH will last forever, a poorly maintained unit may only last 5 years or so.

I think the best bang for the buck would be a 3 -5 year single owner unit that has been well maintained. The biggest problem I see dealing with a private owner, is the reality of depreciation, They usually think their unit is worth more on the street than it really is.

Personally, I go further down the food chain (10 years old) and like to look at units that might be considered at their first major overhaul. They are in reasonably good shape with no major structural damage, and have been reasonably well maintained throughout their life.

I enjoy working on these units, and if I bought a real good one with no problems, I'd be bored...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Waiter21;3192989]Yes, the new MH will have more problems than a 5 year old, well maintained unit.

Simply not true, you get what you pay for and to make this quote you would have to have spoken to every new owner, not just go off the threads here, or what you personally had to deal with. Like said we have had no problems with ours, two years old now and not an issue that required anything more than a minor adjustment.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlairbus View Post
When you purchase new, you get a quickie PDI session with a sales rep who may know more, or possibly less than you do about motorhomes.
Used, depending on the individual... you will get much more information, and most likely he will be willing to spend a day or two with you... until you are comfortable....
You left out the reason why some people here pick up their new Newmar at the factory. 5 day PDI with a Newmar tech?

Mike bought new from Tom Lindstrom RV in Moorpark, CA. Tom doesn't do quickie PDI's.

When I bought my Lazy Daze Class C and picked it up at the factory in Montclair, CA, the PDI was half day but it could have been longer if I wanted and the door was always open to get things answered or resolved, and fixed.

When it comes to service and quality, the manner in which Newmar will work with me on options and special orders, I'll probably go with them again should I buy in the future. Newmar does business the way it should be.

For someone new to RV'ing, Newmar factory delivery is the only way to go.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I don't get this new MH bug thing. I've owned three MH's from three different manufacturers. All three had less than a handful of issues after a year. Most of those items could have broken at anytime but luckily went while under warranty.

I can afford to buy new and always do. I'd rather deal with the very small number of possible issues under warranty with a new MH than some previous owners idea of fixing (or using) the complicated systems of a modern MH.

Reading these forums, I cringe at what some people do or how they misuse their MH systems The variables would drive me crazy thinking about them.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
Actually you just answered your question. On the other hand, there are 1,000's of opinions on this much debated topic. Yeap ... "unanswerable question."
Couldn't have said it better. I'll only add my 2 cents worth that unless I came into a large bag of money, I would not consider a new coach over one say, 2-3 years old.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
One additional comment. I don't care if you find a perfect coach, either new or used makes no difference. If you are not prepared for things to break or fail you are naive. All coaches have way to many systems, electrical, mechanical....going down a road and getting the dickens shaken out of them to not fail from time to time. Trucks and cars fail, house or apartments things fail. A coach is both.....and it goes down the highway too. Unrealistic expectation to not have things break.

Tags
ems, problems