Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
MH slide operation slope tolerances?

I own a '07 KSDP 3912 with three slides. The street in front of the S&B slopes. I have been using my Levelegs to get the coach to almost level when we load it or unload it. It sure seems to place stresses on the levelegs horizontally ( which I am pretty sure they are not designed for much).

The slope front to back is down in the back by 1.7 degrees the left to right is down on the right by .8 degrees.

Looking at the fridge, located on the driver side of the coach, I've been told it will work out of level within this tolerance. My question for you Newmar experts: Can I open,the slides at these angles without damage or harm? Hence, not stressing the levelegs

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a general question that all of us have, and there are various opinions.
Normally, everyone agrees that level is best...but that is not what you are asking.

Things to consider.
1. Twisting your chassis is never good, and can even crack a windshield.
2. Slides are not fully supported by the mechanical system, most of the weight is on the rollers.
3. Anything not level will introduce a vector force that can make the slide move forward/backward in the opening. This can cause some stress on the mechanical parts of the slide system. You might notice that gaps are no longer even.

The best you can hope for is enough opinions so that you can form your own, based on your comfort level.

Regards,

Dan

Old 04-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The slope you have is not excessive for opening the slides. The question is wheaten the the opening for the long flush slide is distorted by the leveling or not. Check the gap around the longest slide. If it is not closed ( most of the time if it is closed it is at the front upper corner) you can open the slides. If it is binding, don't open it, damage may occur.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm super cautious about my slides and my leveling jacks - probably overly so because I have a little older rig. That said, I think it would probably be kinda-sorta ok to open your slides, but personally I'd only do it if I really needed to.

If this was a park I was staying in for a couple weeks, that, for me, would make it worth the risk. If it's just to make loading and unloading easier at home, that, for me, wouldn't be.

But it's your rig and your comfort level, so good luck whichever you choose.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide