RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Mice eating wires

Today while checking my compartments I noticed mice had eaten wires on my outside tv. I had to cut and splice the wires to make the repairs. I tried to see how they had gotten in but could not see how. I checked all the wires in all compartments and in the Genn compartment. I didn't see any other wires eaten. I have now set some traps and mouse poison. I am sure others have had this problem. What remedy did you use.

djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtommysr View Post
Today while checking my compartments I noticed mice had eaten wires on my outside tv. I had to cut and splice the wires to make the repairs. I tried to see how they had gotten in but could not see how. I checked all the wires in all compartments and in the Genn compartment. I didn't see any other wires eaten. I have now set some traps and mouse poison. I am sure others have had this problem. What remedy did you use.
I use a combination of products, one called Fresh Cab, moth balls, and Bounce dryer sheets.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #3

over the last 20 years, i have tried every deterrent that has ever been suggested to me, and it has been literally at least a hundred things, and nothing has worked...they get in....

so, for the last 5 yrs, i now use poison bait stations placed around the outside of the house and RV.....i freshen the bait every 2 months.....

this is the only way, consistently, i have seen little to no rodent activity in the RV....

i hate to use poison, but for me, i have found it to be the only way....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Not sure what type of wire they use in the RV industry. But for automotive industry they started using cheaper soy base wire covering and mice are having a fun chewing on the wire.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #5

Keep a sticky trap with peanut butter on in a not used area in outside cabinets if we pick one up in our travels. Get about one a year but keep the trap ready all the time.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We have used a product called “Fresh Cab” with great success. Don’t like the baits and poison because we have pets.

Found the Fresh Cab on line via google search and buy thru Amazon Prime.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moth balls in an empty and dry water bottle works for me. I drilled holes in the bottle. DO NOT use if you can smell mothballs when you are inside the RV.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently had this problem at a RV park in Ca. last March. Jumped in toad to head out to breakfast and it was barely running. Then trouble (idiot) lights all came on. Had it towed to local Honda dealer and was told it was caused by rodents, squirrels, or who knows? Dang critters got into engine compartment and ate portions of the wiring harness.(I asked for and saved the harness with little chew marks on it) $700 later, after talking to those more knowledgeable than me, I was told by a very seasoned RV'er to use peppermint extract under the engine compartment? Several others corroborated peppermint extract as well? We've been RV'ing since '06 and never had the issue. However, when we now camp in a somewhat rural area or RV park, the extract comes out and I put a few drops under the toad. Not sure if it really works, but willing to try a sure thing as it can get very costly! Good luck with your issue and safe travels along the way.
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
You can use pure peppermint oil, (ebay),put it in a small spray bottle & spray all the exposed wiring that you see. It works !
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
You can use pure peppermint oil, (ebay),put it in a small spray bottle & spray all the exposed wiring that you see. It works !

Siggy

Yep and also soak cotton balls

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #11

I kind of enjoy a mouse running across my arm or head while I sleep, the sound of a snap trap getting sprung while in a dead sleep, or a critter sauntering out from under the dash next to my foot by the brake pedal as I cruise along at 60 mph. But not enough to not use Fresh Cab now. Bye-bye critters.

MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote