Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #1

Michelin vs Continental

Our 2013 Newmar Ventana has the original Goodyear tires (2012 mfg date). They appear to be in excellent shape (only 10K mi) , but are reaching end-of-life age wise. I am leaning toward either the Michelin XZA2 or Continental HSR2 SA tires. Going with Continentals saves about $55 ea ($469 vs $524). Any thoughts on Michelin vs Continental? Other models or brands to consider? Note: The FMCA pricing is virtually the same as what is being quoted by the local RV tire shops in our area. Thanks!
SCKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Great to have you join us here in the forums .

I've never owned Continental tires .
But just replaced a set of XZA2s , fronts were 10 years old and rears 13 . The rears had just started developing sidewall cracking .
I went to Yokohama because , Michelin didn't offer a traction tire in my size, and my coach is a 28,000 lb. snow magnet. Local laws require winter tread on BC highways from Oct. 1 to Mar 31. and that's when I travel in BC , and I've hit snow in all western states when traveling to my snowbird site, and I wouldn't chain up a coach for any reason. If the roads are that bad I'm parked.

Yokohama tires were $120 Canadian , a tire less than Michelin and for some reason the traction tread was $50 a tire less than highway tread.
If it wasn't for the snow factor , I'd have paid the extra for Michelins I figure if they give more years they're worth it.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We just completed the BMW Performance Driving School in Spartanburg, SC. They go through tires on a daily basis! The technicians were beyond delighted to learn Michelin will be taking over from Continental as their tire sponsor. They say performance is better and longevity is much improved. Of course different matter than motorhome tires. But I think the small extra expense is worth it.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

Please have had good luck with Toyo brand tires they will be my next choice probably due next year..
Old 06-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
We just purchased a 2013 Phaeton. It had Michelin's on it but the previous owner said they had one blowout on it so even though the tires looked ok except for the fine cracks in the sidewall I started shopping for replacements.
I found these and took a chance. Actually ordered 7 and kept 1 in the belly as an unmounted spare. Had the tires shipped directly to a local tire dealer that I've done business with in the past and had him mount and balance them. So far, 2 trips out I cannot tell the difference in ride from the Michelin's. Hoping to sell the take off tires for a few hundred $ once I list them on Craigslist.

https://www.otrusa.com/product/27580...-all-position/

Don
Old 06-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #6

If you're locked on to those 2 brands, go with the lower cost tires. You'll never wear out either brand and probably will not notice any difference in ride quality or road noise. I do not recommend buying the cheapest tire available. You are looking at 2 quality brands here.

We've been running 11R22.5H Yokohamas, which were $425/ea, 2 years ago. I've read recently where BF Goodrich dealers offer a $100 or more per tire trade in, as they can sell them to truckers for $150-200. Don't know if other dealers are doing this. Also, purchasing in a state with no sales tax can provide a savings.

While most Class A owners replace their tires between 5-10 years, with 7 years being a popular choice, few manufacturers actually specify an expiration date for their tires. Michelin, for instance, recommends inspecting them annually after 5 years and removing them from service after 10. This is provided that the tires have always been properly inflated and stored for their entire life.

Something to consider when purchasing new tires is the date code. It is not uncommon for "new" tires to have a date code that is a year or two old. If you follow a 7 year protocol, you may be replacing tires every 5 years. 3 months old or less would be ideal, 6 months should be the max.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Every Newmar I had had Michelin's on them not Goodyear.
Was this a used coach you purchased?
I would replace with Michelin, you will get better use and if taken care of up to ten years of use, as Skip426 said, other MFG's use other brands Newmar owners stick with the Michelin brand.
A thread of value with tire information near bottom of link.
Brochure ---- Owners Guide
A link to help you get around irv2.
All the links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #8

In the last year, I replaced Goodyear tires with Continental Conti Coach HA3. I also debated Continental vs Michelin. I found several charter bus companies choosing the Continental and the cost was substantially better than the Michelin. The ride is great.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:16 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SCKC, welcome!!
In July of 2012 I purchased a full set of Michelin XZA2, date code March of 2012. I have had no problems, no complaints. I cover them any time I’m parked more than a few days, and about three times /year I treat the exposed sides with 303. To date they show no sign of cracking at all, not even any hairline micro-cracks.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:42 AM   #10

When I replaced the tires on my M/H, I basically knew NOTHING about RV tires, so I selected a tire store that carried all the top brands typically found on diesel pusher motorhomes. They sold Michelins, Goodyear, Toyo's, and a few other brands I can't remember the names. I asked the store manager his recommendation based on ride quality and durability and he recommended Toyo's. Had he recommended Michelin, I would have paid the additional $90 a tire, but he felt the Toyo's were superior. I did know enough to ask for current tire dates and all 6 were only 1 month old at the time of purchase. Don't be swayed by what you read on these forums, listen to the people who sell and service tires, I think it's safe to say, they have first-hand knowledge of which brand/size is most appropriate for your rig and the type of driving you plan on doing.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4220399]Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Every Newmar I had had Michelin's on them not Goodyear.
Was this a used coach you purchased?
I would replace with Michelin, you will get better use and if taken care of up to ten years of use, [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/michelin-vs-continental-394325.html#post4219949
as Skip426 said[/URL][/B], other MFG's use other brands Newmar owners stick with the Michelin brand.
A thread of value with tire information near bottom of link.
Brochure ---- Owners Guide
A link to help you get around irv2.
All the links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar.
My '13 Ventana came w Goodyear tires.
Don't know how many others did... if it is related to year or not.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Same price as FMCA discount, really?

I've used the FMCA program twice including yesterday (I had my Continental Vanco's replaced with Michelin LTX's). FMCA, after all cost's i.e. disposal, installation etc was significantly less than retailers. Even Costco with a two rebate. One on the tires and one for using their credit card. I would check again, after using FMCA's tire program I would be very surprised if ANYONE else came within 5% when all said and done.

As for which brand? It depends on their tire, it's not just the brand. But my new LTX's are a vast improvement over the not so good stock Vanco's. Heck, I replaced them after only 15,000 miles.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #13

I just purchased 6 toyos. I use a 305 70 22.5 which unique thus harder to find and more expensive. They were $300 cheaper than the Michelin that was on the unit. They were 10 years old. They were covered their whole life. They were inspected every year. The manufacturer's dictate replacement at 10 years. The dealer installed the toyos put my old michelin's on a dump truck an he using the as I write this. He felt they were fine for non high speed use. I feel a marked improvement in ride and road noise ( nothing is better than new tires). I talked to a least 6 trucker before buying the toyos and numerous interent searches. $1800 savings bought me a new freezer and front end alignment (not easy to get front end aligned in SE PA with IRS). I am a happy with my purchase at this time.
wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toyo

Anyone use Toyo tires for any prolonged period of time since I have them on my Mountain Air
caschoen is offline   Reply With Quote