Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I have a friend that runs his under inflated because he gets a much softer ride. That doesn't mean its the best thing to do. A truck will never ride like a car.
That's playing Russian Roulette with your tires, that's just asking for a blow out or tire failure
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
That's playing Russian Roulette with your tires, that's just asking for a blow out or tire failure
My point exactly, and running at the minimum allows no room for suspention loading on tight curves.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #31

Yup, but over inflation is just a big a problem and maybe more so-causing poor handling, improper tire wear, etc.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
Yup, but over inflation is just a big a problem and maybe more so-causing poor handling, improper tire wear, etc.
Havent seen any posts advising to over inflate tires but you are absolutely correct.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgb View Post
I have XRV's as well.
They are dated Oct 2005.
MH is a 2006 DP MA
We have put 30,000 miles on them.
I inspect them between and before each trip.
I have the "Pressure Pro System" on all tires, and keep them inflated at the following pressures all the time: front axle: 115 psi, drive axle 85 psi, tag axle 75 psi, which were the recommended pressures by Newmar.
MH weight is around 36,000 lbs.
I believe they can safely last 10 years.
Tell me if I am wrong.
Thanks.
SGB.
Mine have about the same date as yours. My mileage is about 2K less. Backing in some soft sand after driving about 250 miles and the outside rear drivers tire spun off the rim. Turned out that the layers of the sidewall separated and the air escaped into there and decreased the pressure in the tire itself and with the lower pressure I was able to lose the bead seal. All of my tires had small cracks in the sidewall but they don't look that bad. This was on the inside of the outer rear tire so you could not see it on inspection. I'm just lucky it happened when I got home and not on the interstate at 65 mph. I'm getting a whole set of non-Michelins on Tuesday.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaflash View Post
This was on the inside of the outer rear tire so you could not see it on inspection.
Just to be sure are you saying the inside of the tire** itself or the inside outer wall between the inner and outer tire? **the one that went flat

edit;
Generally when the inside of any tire starts separating it's because of heat caused by being under inflated.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #35
Lit

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Renden,
While the XRVs are fine, consider the XZA or XZE models of tire. They are a sturdier (more in the sidewalls) than the XRV tire. I have the A in the rear and the E on the front. They ride very smooth.
I've read your response several times now and I want to ask you. "Why do you have XZE's on the front tires and XZA on the back?" Please share your reasoning, I was planning on replacing all 6 of my XRS's this season, I only have 28,000 miles on 2005 tires. I'm leaning towards just replace my front tires this season (safety sake) they are all in great shape. I'd like all the information I can get to help me make this a painless ordeal.

Thanks.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit View Post
I've read your response several times now and I want to ask you. "Why do you have XZE's on the front tires and XZA on the back?" Please share your reasoning, I was planning on replacing all 6 of my XRS's this season, I only have 28,000 miles on 2005 tires. I'm leaning towards just replace my front tires this season (safety sake) they are all in great shape. I'd like all the information I can get to help me make this a painless ordeal.

Thanks.
If your tires are six years old and in great shape, the only reason you may want to change your ties is for peace of mind, not safety. Nothing wrong with that, but just an unnecessary expense at this time. No one can put a price on peace of mind and I personally find it very important. However, I have peace of mind in knowing that Michelin says that as long as my 7 1/2 yo tires are inspected yearly by a Michelin rep and pronounced safe, I'll keep mine for ten years or if they need to be replaced earlier.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Just a point to think about. Michelin doesn't recommend that you have to change out your tires after 5 or 7 years or a certain number of miles. It says to have them checked by a Michelin rep after (I think) 7 years and to replace by 10 whether or not they still are in good shape or not. They don't say NOT to not replace them, just that you don't have to. I'm going on 8 on mine and have them checked before my annual trip every year. So far, so good. And yes, I have XRVs.
I have my originals, 30k miles and look great. Check out the Michelin TSB. I do believe 10 years is the the very end of useful life on most rubber products.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Make that two of us FDchief my tires look great with over 30,000.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #39
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Same here. 30,000 5 years on 315/80R/22.5 Pilote XZA1
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Since I do not have access to scales, I use the Manufacturer's weight numbers, keep the water tank at minimal as well as all other tanks empty - for travel - except the fuel () and this gives me 95 PSI all around on my XRVs 305-70 - DSDP 2006 and the tires are in great shape and keep their AIR
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #41
sgb

Thank you Gary and thanks to all those who made appropriate suggestions.
It helped a lot.
sgb
sgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #42
Lit

National RV Owners Club
All the reply's make a lot of sense, "unnecessary expense at this time" is the straw that tilted me towards keeping the tires after inspection this spring.
I would still like to know the reasoning for the different grades for the front and rear tires.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote