Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Microwave and GPS switch out at factory $$$

We are scheduled in mid August for Factory Service. On our list, we asked that the Whirlpool microwave ( door feels like it's falling off when opening) be changed to the GE Advantium.

Also change the Clarion GPS (speaker phone don't work?) to the model found in the "Aire" models

While we knew there would be an upgrade charge but didn't expect this:
GE ADVANTIUM : oven parts, labor = $2000

Upgraded GPS system: gps, parts, antenna, labor= $3000

OMG, think I'll keep what I got. Wish I knew I could have upgraded these when ordering the coach!! Would have been cheaper.

What GE advantium do they use? Is it any good? Would you upgrade these 2 items?

Thx for your opinions
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #2

We did the advantium as a special request at the time of order. Was a bit less expensive then. We consider it substantially better than the whirlpool.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Is the GE Advantium the same size as the Whirlpool? Is is something that can be swapped at home if you are handy if by a local handyman. Same with the radio. I haven't priced them out but that upgrade cost seems high
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Is the GE Advantium the same size as the Whirlpool? Is is something that can be swapped at home if you are handy if by a local handyman. Same with the radio. I haven't priced them out but that upgrade cost seems high
The Advantium I believe is bigger. When we got our list of specials back it showed that they had to do something to the cabinet. We are not home so I can't look at the list, hopefully someone else will chime in.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #5

The Advantium is bigger which is why they told us make the decision when ordering. It was $1178. I haven't used it enough yet to know if worth it as we just started our first trip. The xite radio was $1575, it was a one to one footprint of the LA radio. Both may have already gone up if ordering as a special, but after the fact is a different animal. Always hard to get everything right out of the box and you get no credit when trading later. Case in point, we wanted to add a surge protector during factory pickup and long story short we ended up adding the Essex transfer switch that has surge protection. We got no credit for pulling out the LA transfer switch but if we had done as a special it would have been more economical. Oh well, can only do but so much homework ahead of time, but it does pay to get all your options when ordering! Darn, I wish we had gotten the wifi ranger afterall,
Cclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #6

We have an over the range GE Advantium in our sticks and bricks house, it is 12 or 13 years old and my wife has told me if we ever move the new house will have one or this one will be coming with us.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
dms

We have the same problem with the Whirlpool microwave in our 2016 MA. Door was loose and during a factory warranty visit last september, the Newmar tech had the local Whirlpool tech come in and replace the door hinge to a revised stronger hinge. He said the original hinge was under-designed. A month later the unit died and when we got home from that trip, we had a local whirlpool shop come out to our home and replace all the (three) door switches. He said this was a common problem.

Having had enough of Whirlpool, I called Newmar and insisted the unit be replaced with the GE Advantium and I'd pay the difference. They agreed, as we were still under warranty. They quoted $1175 for the new unit and agreed to refund $250 which was the cost of the Whirlpool. I balked, as the unit can be bought online for $875 (Google: Goedekers Appliance).

After negotiations with Newmar, they finally agreed to swap out the unit if I supply the GE, and refund the $275 Whirlpool cost. I bought the Advantium from Goedekers and plan to have the swap made next month while at the Factory. My net cost is $625.

The GE will fit in our MA and actually is 1" shorter in depth than the Whirlpool, giving a little more headroom over the cooktop.

Jmonroe had the same issues in his 2016 LA and went through the same negotiation process to upgrade to the GE....see his posts.

The Advantium is a much more versatile oven as it has 4 heating methods, and will even make toast.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
The Advantium I believe is bigger. When we got our list of specials back it showed that they had to do something to the cabinet. We are not home so I can't look at the list, hopefully someone else will chime in.
Advantium. 1.7 cu.ft., 1800 watts

Whirlpool. 1.9 cu.ft, 1600 watts

I guess it depends on what bigger you're looking at. Watts or Volume. Unless you're getting the 240v 30a model...

I thing what you really are getting is over 175 preprogrammed menu items...
Old 04-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Have an Advantium in the S&B. It has GE Speedcook Technology, along with the convection and microwave functionality that the Whirlpool has.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A quick search for the GE Advantium shows it costing about $1000. However, Newmar prices parts at some % above their cost so some parts can be easily purchased less expensively elsewhere...such as online. I have replaced previous microwaves with no problems. Usually, the width of microwaves are standard. Different depth or height should not be a problem.

I would suggest going to a quality auto stereo shop to purchase your replacement GPS. Again, I have done this in previous MHs. I'm about to do this in our Essex as we want a system that has the Apple Car Play system to integrate with our iPhones.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 04-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bowl.... the Advantium retails for at least $1K up to $2300, depending on model. It is likely the same size as your old, but labor to remove and replace could easily run 3-5 man hours. I can't speak to the GPS, but the price to mod the oven seems in line.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
DMS, how would we negotiate. Newmar sent me invoices through the email with the pricing breakdown including charge for 1 hour labor for microwave and 6 hours labor for the GPS. They want me to sign the invoices and accept terms so that they can schedule the work when we visit there.

What model # advantium is it? Also I'll bet the gps is the lowest end 6" screen that is option for 2k on the 2018 DS.

There are 3 xite gps/radio models. 6", 7" and 9" screens
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #13

As far as the radio that sounds really high. Unless there is something special check with a good audio shop for the upgrade. Only major thing to watch is the GPS antenna install. The rest is basically a swap.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #14
dms

Bowl300, the GE model is GE-PSA9120SFSS. As far as negotiations, we were still in warranty and had two failures (door hinge and then unit died with bad switch assembly) within first 10 months.

I insisted that the unit be replaced after the second failure as we were on a trip with no microwave and were totally inconvenienced. We actually had to buy a cheap counter top unit from Walmart to get by while traveling.

After lengthy discussions with customer service, they agreed to replace it at the factory. I then requested the upgrade if I pay the difference since they had already agreed to the labor. Their price on the GE was retail so I told them that I would furnish the GE (bought it online from Goedekers for $875 with free delivery). They agreed and even reimbursed me for the $57 Walmart unit that we had to purchase. They will also reimburse me for their Whirlpool cost of $250.

Hope this helps.

Tags
gps, switch