Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 09:30 PM   #15

I had to replace both vents in mine and solved the issue. They are cheap and can be picked up at any of the box stores Lowe's, Home Depot etc. The ones that come in these rv,s are cheap junk
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like the vent cap, I would just stop by Home Depot and pick up one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
We came back to the coach tonight after being gone for the entire day, and there was no smell in the half bath. Absolutely nothing. But... after having a shower, I walked past the half bath (door closed) and I could smell it again. The odor is definitely stronger underneath the sink where the plumbing is.

So I have closed the gray valve again. We are out again all day tomorrow, and I'll have a shower again tomorrow night when we return. If the smell is gone when we come back, but returns after the shower, I'll know it doesn't have anything to do with the gray valve being open or closed. If that's the case, I will try switching the vent caps for one in the master bath and repeat the process.

The only thing I can think of is a faulty vent cap, and the negative pressure from running the shower in the other bathroom is somehow causing it to open, and it is sticking open.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?
We just picked up our 2017 London Aire at the factory and the No Fuss Flush Valve was replaced because we could smell a sewage odor. What is odd when the old one was taken off it also had green tape on it. I thought along with out tech that someone knew it was bad and placed the tape on it as a reminder to replace it but it never got replaced.
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
I found the vent caps at Lowes/HD are no different in design than the stock units in our coaches. I bought a few of these instead...a few bucks more, but higher quality replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by freen03 View Post
We just picked up our 2017 London Aire at the factory and the No Fuss Flush Valve was replaced because we could smell a sewage odor. What is odd when the old one was taken off it also had green tape on it. I thought along with out tech that someone knew it was bad and placed the tape on it as a reminder to replace it but it never got replaced.
I'm assuming that replacing the backflow preventer valve got rid of the smell, correct?

I still have this problem. It occurs whenever I run one of the fans, and has nothing to do with the shower as I initially thought (I always run the bathroom fan with the shower). Running any of the 3 fans will generate the odor in the midship bathroom, and it goes away when the fan is shut off. I did replace the air admittance valve but it made no difference. I've also taped it up so there's no way it could be leaking, and it made no difference. So that leaves the backflow preventer valve, which is next on my list to replace.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:05 AM   #20

Where is the back flow preventer valve? Is there only one? What is it used for?

Sorry for the questions but newbies tend to have what appears to be odd questions. Thanks for your feedback.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #21
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2017 DSDP and also having trouble with a sour smell in the half bath. To me, it smells like a grey tank odor. Yesterday we went to Lowes and bought a Studor mini vent for $25. The smell seems to be gone now. The local Home Depot only had the $5 vent.

Not sure if this matters but the instructions said to only use thread sealing tape. Newmar used some type of thread sealing grease. I cleaned out the grease and sealed it with teflon tape.

Paul
2017 DSDP 4018
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I'm assuming that replacing the backflow preventer valve got rid of the smell, correct?

I still have this problem. It occurs whenever I run one of the fans, and has nothing to do with the shower as I initially thought (I always run the bathroom fan with the shower). Running any of the 3 fans will generate the odor in the midship bathroom, and it goes away when the fan is shut off. I did replace the air admittance valve but it made no difference. I've also taped it up so there's no way it could be leaking, and it made no difference. So that leaves the backflow preventer valve, which is next on my list to replace.
Yes no more smell
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hope you never run into something like this.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #24

Anybody know what happens or supposedly happen if this valve ( air admittance ) is capped so it doesn't work? I covered mine with foil and the sink and shower worked fine. When does it come into play?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Anybody know what happens or supposedly happen if this valve ( air admittance ) is capped so it doesn't work? I covered mine with foil and the sink and shower worked fine. When does it come into play?
I think this could cause issues when you dump. Negative pressure created by the tank evacuating could pull water out of the trap, leaving your pipes open to their respective tank. If you were to run water and/or flush shortly after dumping, you would probably never notice the smell.

Which brings up another question: Does the half bath sink empty into the gray or black tank? On our Entegra, it emptied into the black tank. Our dealer said he thought this was not the case with our DS. I think if it did, and these bad smells are from the black tank, it would smell A LOT worse than it does.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #26

We've had an odd odor in the half bath of our 2015 DS since it was new, doesn't seem bad enough to be from a holding tank but still an odor that shouldn't be there. This last trip to Nappanee the tech replaced the valve under the sink that has the 2 pex lines attached to it that was leaking water whenever I backflushed the black tank. He used a brass valve saying the plastic ones were not worth installing. Still didn't explain why the odor was there the very week we took possession of the new coach, no backflushing going on during that period.

The odor may not be as bad but something still smells odd, sour, or otherwise unpleasant. Wife has tried to put a description to the odor but just can't say what it smells like. A previous tech had said it was coming from the utility/tank compartment below the bath caused by water seepage/leakage or otherwise from hooking/unhooking water connections and standing in the compartment causing a stale odor. I asked to be shown any water accumulation there but no response.

I guess my next action will be to replace that valve on top of the black pipe next to the sink drain pipe.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I found the vent caps at Lowes/HD are no different in design than the stock units in our coaches. I bought a few of these instead...a few bucks more, but higher quality replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
+1
I replaced all of my air admittance valves with this one. As others pointed out, the O.E. units RV builder use are junk.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #28

Don't know if this is relevant to anyone here, but we did narrow down an unpleasant odor we were getting in the coach, and it had to do with driving with the driver window open. On my 1015 DS I noticed that any time that I had that window open we would get a bathroom odor, not always but anytime that we did, we could make it stop by closing the window. I am assuming it might have had something to do with airflow over the coach and the placement of a vent maybe? Don't really know but if we do smell it we just close the window, not open that often anyway, BTW, this only happens while in motion.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odor, sewage