Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mineral oil in batteries.

I want to add mineral oil to my batteries. First of all do you add it to the chassis batteries as well as the house batteries. I understand from reading on this site that I should add 4 oz. to each cell. How much water should there be over the top of the plates in each cell before I add the oil? After adding the oil how far from the top of the cap should the oil be. I want to make sure that after I have added the oil I have a reference point so I know if and when I should add water if needed.
thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
4 oz seems like a lot.. I thought it was 1/8-1/4 per cell?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi skyviewman,
The rule of thumb I know is:
2 oz per cell for a 12 VDC battery
4 oz per cell for a 6 VDC battery

I have not seen a flooded chassis battery in over a decade. I have AGM coach batteries. I did add mineral oil to my coach batteries, when they were flooded technology but that was many years ago. From what I remember, I took out all the water above the plates. There was still a bit of water covering the plates. Then added the mineral oil. Then added some distilled water to each cell to bring the water level to the bottom of the fill hole.

Mineral oil will float on top of the distilled water in the battery.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Oil in flooded batteries? New to me.... What does it do?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Oil in flooded batteries? New to me.... What does it do?
It slows down the evaporation of water from the batteries. You don't have to fill as often.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Unless your batteries are constipated , don't put the oil in them.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mineral oil also slows down the oxidization/corrosion (what ever you call it) and helps them last longer. Do your homework. But, what GaryKD said sounds about right.

In fact, if you buy a can of that spray solution that prevents corrosion, the main ingredient in most to of them is mineral oil.

Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the answer. Guess I'll try it.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
4 oz. of oil in a 6 volt battery will provide about 1/8" layer of oil on top of the electrolyte. When the battery is properly serviced there is about 1/2" electrolyte below the oil to the plates allowing a hydrometer to get below the oil layer for an accurate specific gravity check.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put 2 oz in my 4 six volt batteries 11/2 years ago. Have yet to add water and we use the MH a lot. Have not had to clean corrosion at all. Only problem I see is it hard on the rubber gaskets. Just go to battery shop and get some more gaskets off trade in batteries.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
This is great information. It makes perfect sense but I would have never thought of it. Thanks for sharing this.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
KIX

Golf carts use multiple six volt battery banks and are recharged more frequently than most motorhomes. I put mineral oil in my GC batteries several years ago. I'm a believer.

One of the effects of off-gassing during heavy charging is corrosion of nearby metals. That corrosion is drastically reduced when mineral oil is floated on top of the electrolyte.
YMMV
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
My batts seem to need watering about every couple months. BUT, every once in a while I get there a little late -- and I can see the top of the plates So, (now that I've ratted myself out), the question is: What happens if this oil gets on the plates? Any harm done? Do I need to change my sinful ways?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
My batts seem to need watering about every couple months. BUT, every once in a while I get there a little late -- and I can see the top of the plates So, (now that I've ratted myself out), the question is: What happens if this oil gets on the plates? Any harm done? Do I need to change my sinful ways?
If your battery plates are exposed to air, the plates will oxidize and no longer receive a charge. If the oil touches the battery plates the oil will cover the exposed plates. Since oil is lighter than water, when the battery is serviced most of the oil will float to the top of the electrolyte. Surface tension between the oil and plates will not allow all the oil to immediately release from the plates. Since the dielectric strength of the oil is approximately 5 times that of air, it's not likely the oil covered portion of the plate will receive a charge. However, since the oil stops oxidation of the plates the plates aren't permanently damage as when they are oxidized. It's possible that vibration and equalizing the battery may release enough oil that the plates will once again receive a charge.

The major benefit is if you check your batteries every couple of months it's not likely your water level will ever be to the point where you will have to worry about damaged plates.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries