Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
On my way to the store for both. Before i go are we talking about mineral oil you find at the drug store?
Thanks all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, mineral oil from the drug store. Commonly used as a laxative. Four (4)oz in each cell.

After reading the many posts regarding adding mineral oil to batteries, I decided to try it in the coach house batteries. Before using oil my batteries terminals would show corrosion around the terminals each time I filled them. Since using the oil I have had none and my terminals look as shown in Mr_D's photos. I have also added oil to my electric golf cart batteries with the same results. The batteries sit disconnected in Yuma for 5-6 months and I have had no corrosion and when I reconnect them I have enough juice left to more the carts to the charging area. Throughout the winter when the golf carts are used I have no corrosion and always have them on the chargers when not in use. In Arizona golf cart batteries don't last very long, usually two to three years, due to the extreme heat. We will see if adding the oil will help with longevity since I just replaced all the golf cart batteries last winter.

One thing I do know is that other golf carts stored over the summer have had major corrosion on the terminals when the owners returned in the winter... corrosion that I did not have. My water level was at acceptable levels also.

I'm a believer...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #17

I'm thinking corrosion is a sign of battery or charger issues, being that the charger is pushing current and the battery is gassing, otherwise you would have no corrosion like mine. The MO is like Mel said, a bandaid!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did this about a year ago and have had good results. I think I have only had to top of the water one time since then. Here is what I did.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mine...ml#post1791299

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Gassing of a battery is normal all the time, in a wet cell under normal charge......vapors(gas) is produced, in a open wet cell battery, period. Different manufactures have better than other caps, some seem to hold back the gassing better than others. My batteries are held at 13.5 VDC all the time, plugged in charging or driving and taking a charge off the alternator. I had corrosion pretty bad when I first bought the Coach 5 years ago, read about the mineral oil........tore apart the slide tray and rebuilt and painted the entire battery compartment(pretty bad shape from corrosion), added mineral oil.......and the compartment still looks the same today as when I did the job. And the top's of all the batteries are dry........same batteries.
To each their own........
Old 10-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
countrypair
If your charging systems are working correctly, (and if your batteries are GOOD), batteries WILL NOT gas.

Putting mineral oil in batteries is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg...(it may cover up the problem.... but does not FIX it).

Mel
'96 Safari
Spend a night boon docking, run the batteries down a bit, start the engine........your alternator is putting out over 14-14.5 DC charge current to the batteries until they are up, then the regulator backs off the charge rate.........Batteries gas at 13.8 DC
Some reading - http://batterytender.com/resources/battery-basics.htm/
Old 10-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #21

Same thing as Roméo for mee 4oz on each cell for my 6 volts batteries
no more corrosion
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Spend a night boon docking, run the batteries down a bit, start the engine........your alternator is putting out over 14-14.5 DC charge current to the batteries until they are up, then the regulator backs off the charge rate.........Batteries gas at 13.8 DC
I often boondock, with little "battery gas corrosion", little "electrolyte loss" and NO "mineral oil" in my batteries.
BTW, my first set of house batteries lasted 11 years, (the second set is 7 years old).
Mel
'96 Safari, 134k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I often boondock, with little "battery gas corrosion", little "electrolyte loss" and NO "mineral oil" in my batteries.
BTW, my first set of house batteries lasted 11 years, (the second set is 7 years old).
Mel
'96 Safari, 134k miles
Super Mel........can't beat that!
No need to change anything.........
Old 10-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #24

Minneral oil in batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Super Mel........can't beat that!
No need to change anything.........

Me too. Must be my Magnum Energy is set up just right.
And I dont boondock.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'm thinking corrosion is a sign of battery or charger issues, being that the charger is pushing current and the battery is gassing, otherwise you would have no corrosion like mine. The MO is like Mel said, a bandaid!
Well then 99% of vehicles must have charging issues because corrosion is very common in all kinds of vehicles...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Well then 99% of vehicles must have charging issues because corrosion is very common in all kinds of vehicles...

Maybe.
Maybe lots of folks not checking them.
Maybe some of us doing things just right.
Maybe some of us just lucky.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #27

I wonder what the environmental influence are. I have AGMs now, but on all of my previous MHs, despite fastidious attention to the batteries & appropriately set chargers, I have experienced corrosion requiring yearly cleaning, & touch up painting of the battery tray. I live in West TX where it gets brutally hot & dry.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
I wonder what the environmental influence are. I have AGMs now, but on all of my previous MHs, despite fastidious attention to the batteries & appropriately set chargers, I have experienced corrosion requiring yearly cleaning, & touch up painting of the battery tray. I live in West TX where it gets brutally hot & dry.

Perhaps part of the answer!
We move so we are never where it is too hot or too cold, and always on land power.

Tags
batteries