Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Mirror to Mirror Width

I was polishing up the front of my Rig Today and for some reason measured the coach from outside of mirror to outside of mirror. Wow was I surprised at the width. 9 ft 10 inches. I have heavy trucks that aren't that wide. The body is 8'6" then add on the mirrors. I have them adjusted in as close to the coach as I can and still see the side of the coach to the rear wheels. Where the problem is the PA Turnpike Toll Booths are setup for 10 foot. That gives me 2 inches to spare. How many others have actually measured their width? How many have had a Toll Booth "Incident"???
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If I see that a toll booth looks narrow; when I enter it I only look at the drivers mirror and I concentrate on keeping that mirror very close to the booth. Then I know that the other mirror will clear. I've driven the Pa. Tpke many times and never hit one of the booths.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #3

I have never measured mine but I certainly will now. I guess I was assuming the outside measurement on my mirrors were around 9' 6". Good to know.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #4

That's good to know about the PA Toll booths. What do they do if you are too wide?

I had my coach in storage while I added a pad next to the house. I looked at the "Overall Width" in the catalog and it said 102" so I ordered a 120" gate for the fence - ought to give me plenty of room. I was so happy the day I drove the coach home but as I was pulling into the gate I was about 4" too narrow. I had to re-order a new gate - got it 14' this time.
Pays to measure
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #5

I had maybe an inch or so on each side getting onto the Mass Pike at one of their toll booths a few years ago. I think they are pay by plate or EZ pass now, so tool booths shouldn't be a problem there.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #6

I think most turnpike/toll roads use the far right lane to accommodate wide loads. No toll booths on both sides, just the one on the left.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #7

Just think of your mirrors as whiskers!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
I think most turnpike/toll roads use the far right lane to accommodate wide loads. No toll booths on both sides, just the one on the left.

Most have a "wide load" lane on far right. My mirror-to-mirror is 121". Most lanes are at least 11' wide and some are 12' wide.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
In RV-101 for Motorhomes, the rule they mentioned is 1/4" outside of the outermost protrusion on that side of the coach. I used a piece of lath since it's about 1/4". I then adjust the mirror from inside the coach so I can see all along the DS/PS side. Then you should be well inside any toll booth. You can also check YouTube for another point of view. I set mine in 08 and they have worked fine for me.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
In RV-101 for Motorhomes, the rule they mentioned is 1/4" outside of the outermost protrusion on that side of the coach. I used a piece of lath since it's about 1/4". I then adjust the mirror from inside the coach so I can see all along the DS/PS side. Then you should be well inside any toll booth. You can also check YouTube for another point of view. I set mine in 08 and they have worked fine for me.
The mirrors on mine are attached to the side of my coach and do not fold, more than once.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

When I to delivery of my first coach I lost a mirror to a toll booth :( I wished they made an electric folding mirrors

Zzotte