RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
As long as you “upgrade” to a 2019 or earlier...as even the Ventana has lost its ladder. :-/

https://www.steinbring.com/2020-newmar-ventana
You can still get a rear ladder on the 2020 Ventana if you want. It is option 0M220 for $336.

tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #30

I use that same ladder, works perfect.
Buy a foam pool noodle the kids play with, slit one side and I put them on the top of the ladder where they will protect the coach.
Happy climbing.

rampage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ladder

I bought the Telestep 1800EP and it’s plenty long for me to get on top of my Winnabego DP. It’s OSHA rated, collapses to about 3 feet long and weighs about 30 lbs. I use it all the time and don’t miss the big ugly ladder in the rear of the coach.
lsuarez53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Ya know, putting a decent access port in the MH ceiling isn't such a bad idea! It would sure make getting onto the roof a lot safer for us old guys.

TJ
Old 07-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Ya know, putting a decent access port in the MH ceiling isn't such a bad idea! It would sure make getting onto the roof a lot safer for us old guys.

TJ
And you can get it past the DW by calling it an "Escape Hatch".
Old 07-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #34

I use a multi folding ladder that go's to just under 16'. It allows me not only the height but acts like scaffold that I can set up and easily wash windows and when needed wax and polish the rig from top to bottom! When I extend it I use slit pool noodles where it can touch rig to avoid scratches, and always tie off or have a spotter .

Neilbcca

2010 Damon diesel, 2016 JK
neilbcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs down Don’t try to go up the side of your motorhome.

In 2016, DW and I were dry camping in the Villages Walmart on our way to Disney in our 2013 DS. I had an antenna issue and went up the side of RV just behind the door where the antenna was located. DW was holding the ladder. However, when I started to exit the ladder at the top, the ladder slipped to the left and DW couldn’t hold it. Bless her heart, she tried to catch me! I weigh 250, 100 more than her. I had to have 3 stitches in my knee and she had lots of bruises. We’re both OK, but I don’t do ladders anymore.
janelewbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #36

I'm amazed that so many have fallen off ladders ! I would suggest you tie off from at least mid way up to the bumper or hitch snugging your ladder to the rig, and use slit pool noodles where ladder meets the MH, these not only protect the finish but will reduce chance sideways slippage. There also must be a fair amount of angle from perpendicular or you will have a problem, so a longer ladder than MH height is a must!

neilbcca
2010 Damon, 2016 JK
neilbcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, try this. Put your slides out and place the ladder between the two slides near one of them to give you a "safety" corner. Why do we think we need to position the ladder at the rear? Shop for safety accessories on Amazon for both the base and the top of the ladder. Also, service techs never use the manufacturer's ladder if the coach has one. That's should tell us something.

BobbyJ
State College, PA
2015 Sportscoach
2016 Berkshire
2018 Berkshire XL
2020 DSDP (soon)
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post

TJ
The first Class A we owned had an escape hatch in the roof/ceiling. It was plenty big enough to get through. It also had a ladder on the rear, so I never used the hatch to access the roof. It was a 1978 Bendix....
Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #39

Triple E Owners Club
For the most part we are old, we are boomers, never met a problem we can’t fix. We love to tinker, we are cheap. We believe with conviction that no one can fix our issues better than we can. We are probably right about that. We are also fools. Saying goes “ there is no fool like an old fool “. Truth is we have no business up there. Lots of things can happen while up there or on the way up or down. Most of these things are bad things. Having fallen off ladders before tinkering around the house there is no way I’m going on the roof of our Motorhome unless there is no other option. There usually is. Most of us by our behavior in younger years really should be dead so if we made it to this point in our lives, why tempt fate?
Cara 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj56 View Post
Hey, try this. Put your slides out and place the ladder between the two slides near one of them to give you a "safety" corner. Why do we think we need to position the ladder at the rear? Shop for safety accessories on Amazon for both the base and the top of the ladder. Also, service techs never use the manufacturer's ladder if the coach has one. That's should tell us something.

BobbyJ
State College, PA
2015 Sportscoach
2016 Berkshire
2018 Berkshire XL
2020 DSDP (soon)
Great advice

Camping under or near trees certainly requires getting on the roof

Same as snow removal

Try to avoid both but isn't always possible
Old 08-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I contacted Newmar about adding a ladder on our rig, they said if it did not come with one there is not sufficient support in the rear cap to support the ladder. If ordered with ladder they would have more support in there.
Also, if you put the ladder "loops" over the top of that back spoiler, the coach is now taller so remember to add that to your GPS for routing.