RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #1

Anyone from Mississippi with a DS ?

Just curious if anyone on here is from Mississippi, and has a Dutch Star or similar priced coach registered there.
We were considering retiring there, and have just been quoted $4110 a year for the tags on our 2015 Dutch Star 4381....
Surely this is not correct ? I know states like CA are high, but over $4k a year..........
I am currently paying $365 in Texas.................

Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
just curious if anyone has newish Dutch Star (or similar) registered in MS
We were looking at retiring there, and were quoted $4110 a year for our 2015..............surely not correct ?
Anyone with any numbers to share ?
I live in Madison County, MS (central-near Jackson) and did not pay anywhere near that for a New in 2016 Entegra Aspire. I'm sure the annual Ad Valorem tax rate depends on where you live, but I'm not suprised you were quoted an incorrect number.

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I don't have much confidence in the number, as it took 11 calls, to try and get someone who could tell us. They first insisted that Newmar was not a manufacturer, so it was to be registered as a Daimler truck (Freightliner).
Glad to hear your story was different, and I'm hoping they indeed did make a mistake.
This would be in Pearl river co, by the way.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The State DOR website clearly stated that I HAD to go to their office to register my newly purchased Aspire, due to its weight rating. NOBODY there had a clue what I was trying to accomplish, and insisted "we don't do that here" even after I showed them their own website.

The COUNTY tax collector's office was happy to take my money and issued the license plate, registration, and title application. The COUNTY tax collector's office also accepted the dealers check for the State Sales tax that was included in the amount I financed. They were competent and efficient-the exact opposite of the idiots employed by the State Dept. of Revenue (DOR).

Unless you are required to register your coach here, I would not do so because there are plenty of states that don't charge (or at least limit) an annual Ad Valorum tax in addition to the annual license renewal fees.

Once I got it all straightend out, the ad valorum tax for the second year was around $1,000.00 and it goes down a tiny amount each year thereafter.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #5

I'm from Louisiana, but I have lots of friends that live in MS. Their yearly registration is very high compared to ours in LA. I am not saying the number you stated is correct but it probably is.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in Claiborne Cty. Taxes, tag and registration for my 2016 Ventana new were just over 1K. Last year my tag ran about $900. Your cost for Pearl river Cty will depend on the millage rate which varies by county. Go to the county tax assessor office present your title, proof of address and maybe your current tag. They should issue you a Ms. tag.

Welcome to Mississippi its not as bad as some think.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:55 AM   #7

Thanks for the info Gents, I feel a lot happier about ~$1000, than $4110
The ironic thing is, the reason we were going to move to MS (apart from being close to the grandkids) was because of the low property (home) taxes, versus what I pay in Texas.
I handn't realized that both the bus, and my car would be approx. 4 times what they are in Texas to register, basically making it a wash, tax wise.....
Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #8

Mississippi Registration.

I too live in Mississippi and used to complain about our taxes but there are several advantages to living here. You will be able to take most of the taxes off of your annual tax filing and the best one is that Mississippi has no state tax on retirement income.
sluper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #9

Iím from MS and my 2017 Ventanna LE was $ 1,062 for this year. Property taxes are good compared to when we lived in TX. 19 years ago. So you need to look at the whole picture.
Newmar Hoots looking for a roost
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #10

I live in Mississippi and my tag on a 2015 Newmar Canyon Star was around $1500. That includes a special school district tax.
Eagle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle4 View Post
I live in Mississippi and my tag on a 2015 Newmar Canyon Star was around $1500. That includes a special school district tax.
Why would there be a "special school district tax" on vehicles? Isn't that what property taxes are for?
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle4 View Post
Wow, $1500 for a canyon star ...............which county in MS is that ?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #13

I am located in Pike County, Mississippi. I live outside the City of McComb but in the McComb Seperate School District, which collects school tax much like as if I lived in the City. In Mississippi, motor vehicles are considered Personal Property and taxed are collected on vehicle tags.
Eagle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #14

Oh, my.

After reading this thread, I don't feel so bad about my tags in Michigan costing a little over $500 / year. At first I thought that was huge, but in comparison to Mississippi, I'm happy.
You should find out how your state charges. Michigan bases it's annual license fee on the original MSRP, and it never goes down no matter how old the MH is. Other states give special rates for RVs.
Makes you wonder about changing your state of domicile.