RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
“Mistakes and solutions made by new owners”

On another thread, it was brought up by (lands) that it would be great to have a list of the common issues that come up with new Newmar’s.

1) on a DS if the drivers foot rest doesn’t completely stow, an alarm sounds when the key is on that sounds like the jacks down alarm. I know this because it happened on my first outing in my 18 DS. Not knowing I was sure it was the jacks not retracting all of the way. Over the next 15 minutes I raised and lowered the jacks several times, nothing. Called Newmar and they knew exactly what it was, told me to raise the footrest then stow it again, noise gone
Please add your “mistakes” here

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have at least two more

Old 07-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fresh Water Tank overflowing

My best one was trying to figure out why my fresh water Auto-fill would not work correctly! I would find puddles outside on the ground under the fresh water overflow and had someone knock on my door (the door bell is not seen very often) report water was gushing from under my motor home. I reported an aotofill problem to Newmar and planned on getting it fixed when I was in for my first service. I spent the balance of that trip - 3 months - turning city water off periodically and using water from the tank. Come to find out - the Water Saver feature from the shower is meant to be used when Dry Camping and circulates water from the tank and back into the tank. When hooked to city water it takes city water and puts it into the tank! Natural outcome is eventually an overflow!!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
My best one was trying to figure out why my fresh water Auto-fill would not work correctly! I would find puddles outside on the ground under the fresh water overflow and had someone knock on my door (the door bell is not seen very often) report water was gushing from under my motor home. I reported an aotofill problem to Newmar and planned on getting it fixed when I was in for my first service. I spent the balance of that trip - 3 months - turning city water off periodically and using water from the tank. Come to find out - the Water Saver feature from the shower is meant to be used when Dry Camping and circulates water from the tank and back into the tank. When hooked to city water it takes city water and puts it into the tank! Natural outcome is eventually an overflow!!

this was my second on for sure! Thanks for sharing
In fact I called Newmar in Nov 2017 and they didn’t even know this system yet.....great add!

Old 07-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
OK, I'll bite. Where is the driver's footrest?
Or did you mean the passenger step cover?
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Fresh water hose uncapped ... on some RVs there is no check valve between the water pump and the fresh water hose (shore water). If you don't cap the hose when it's disconnected, the pump will flow water out the open hose when you turn the pump on .... surprise !!
Old 07-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Soon to be a new owner of a Ventana I realize this information is invaluable. Should this turn into a Sticky, possibly by Unit (Canyon Star, Bay Star, Ventana, Dutch Star) or by class (Gasser, Diesel, Luxury) . This could be moderated in such a way that is only contained Issue and Resolution with all the opinion stuff weeded out
Just a thought
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
OK, I'll bite. Where is the driver's footrest?
Or did you mean the passenger step cover?

The part that comes up on the drives seat To recline when parked

Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
this was my second on for sure! Thanks for sharing
In fact I called Newmar in Nov 2017 and they didn’t even know this system yet.....great add!
Yes, I can guarantee I would have done that very thing once I take delivery, figuring it was also a way to keep the water nicely warm (even though I know it's on demand) and pause the shower.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #10

“Mistakes and solutions made by new owners”

I will add one of another “duh” moments

I couldn’t figure out why, when using the RV parks cable TV signal that all I was getting on the TV was “snow”. All was okay using the OTA antenna as well as the Sat dish. But cable channels didn’t work. It was only after talking to Newmar Customer Service that I learned about the antenna booster button. He chuckled a bit and said that this was one of those things that often just didn’t explained to new owners, and there is little in the way of written instructions provided by Newmar.

You need a boosted signal when on OTA. Not so with cable. In our 2015 Ventana, there is a black plate low on the wall behind the copilots seat. On this plate is a small eraser sized button and a micro sized green LED indicator. If the LED is illuminated, the booster is on. If not illuminated, the signal booster is off.

If you intend to use the cable signal provided by the park, the LED should be off.

BTW, I too had the foot rest buzzer issue. Newmar CS talked me through this one too.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #11

Okay, not to highjack this thread, here is another thing that I did, first day out with the new coach (our first and only coach). Maybe I am just stupid.

We pulled into a CG. I checked our FWS “reveal” before deploying the slide. Yep, the utility pedestal was where it needed to be. I hooked up and went inside to deploy the FWS. After deployed, hit the auto deploy for the levels. This of course airs down the coach.

Watching in my mirror, DW (who was standing outside watching this memory making moment) became quite agitated and increasingly vocal.

Apparently I was parked too close to the pedestal and my FWS was cantilevered “over” said utility pedestal. Well, when aired down and level, the bottom of our FWS was hovering just ever so slightly above the pedestal.

I now position the coach a bit farther away from the pedestal before shutting down and making camp.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Okay, not to highjack this thread, here is another thing that I did, first day out with the new coach (our first and only coach). Maybe I am just stupid.

We pulled into a CG. I checked our FWS “reveal” before deploying the slide. Yep, the utility pedestal was where it needed to be. I hooked up and went inside to deploy the FWS. After deployed, hit the auto deploy for the levels. This of course airs down the coach.

Watching in my mirror, DW (who was standing outside watching this memory making moment) became quite agitated and increasingly vocal.

Apparently I was parked too close to the pedestal and my FWS was cantilevered “over” said utility pedestal. Well, when aired down and level, the bottom of our FWS was hovering just ever so slightly above the pedestal.

I now position the coach a bit farther away from the pedestal before shutting down and making camp.

No this fits, my solution is a wooden 36” yard stick. I know my slide takes just over 30 inches when extended plus the window awnings, so I will check the location from the MH to any obstacles with the yard stick if in doubt. I know I’m anal🤫

Old 07-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #13

I just put my right shoulder on the coach and extend my left hand (or the other way around). If my hand doesn’t extend over the pedestal I am good to go. Thanks for the thread. We all learn from stuff like this.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Here’s another one from my first trip, I was pushing the button to extend my kitchen slide, put my position was bad causing me to let go of the switch in the middle of its travel, to make matters worse, when I regained position I momentarily pushed the slide in the in direction then corrected it to the out position and the slide would not move. It was if the switch was disconnected. I remembered reading about resetting the slide controller, by unplugging it, so I found the controller and unplugged all of the connections then re plugged them and it worked. Wow I’m pretty smart I thought, until talking with another DS owner that told me when this happens, he just hits the battery disconnect switch off then on, he said it’s like rebooting your computer This is the real solution.