RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
FLJOE … just curious, is it ok to wax the roof if you wanted to? I am picking up our new coach in about ten (10) days and was thinking about applying a good coat of wax to the roof while it is still clean to help keep it that way?

FLSteve

If memory serves Newmar says not to apply anything to the coach for the first six months. It has to do with the clear coat and complete curing of the surface.

See if you can find the build date and go from there.

John

Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
How would you go about finding someone good while traveling?

Check with your camp host, ask your neighbors...

Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 AM   #31

Have an appointment with Dazzling Detailing set for when we are at Disney in a few weeks. They will do it in the overflow lot on a Saturday, which is great, because our Senior Season tickets exclude weekends.Thanks Carl!

I'll report back on the results in case anyone else might be interested in their service.. -Paul
Old 12-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Where in SW Florida are you, and would you mind sharing the company's name? A PM would be fine. Thanks! - Paul
Here you go Paul, Martinez Golden Touch Auto & RV Detailing 239/298-3428. We are in Upriver (N Ft Myers) but Jose goes to several other resorts in the area.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
FLJOE … just curious, is it ok to wax the roof if you wanted to? I am picking up our new coach in about ten (10) days and was thinking about applying a good coat of wax to the roof while it is still clean to help keep it that way?

FLSteve
From a past posting on here I found there are a lot of Newmar owners with one piece fiberglass roofs that do wax their roofs. I go up on my roof about every month or so and argued it was unsafe to have wax on it.

I asked Jose (detail guy) about it and he looked at me like I had two heads! He said they never wax a solid material roof and wouldn't want to detail a coach that already had wax on the roof. For an extra fee they will treat it with a UV protectant. I didn't ask him what they use but I suspect it was 303 or a similar product.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #34

PandS they consistently always do a great job. They use meguairs black ice wax that leaves a beautiful long lasting shine. If you see something your not happy with speak up they are very polite and accomidating.

Carl 2014 newmar dutchstar 4364
Salem, n.h. Summer, west palm beach Florida.
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
Have an appointment with Dazzling Detailing set for when we are at Disney in a few weeks. They will do it in the overflow lot on a Saturday, which is great, because our Senior Season tickets exclude weekends.Thanks Carl!

I'll report back on the results in case anyone else might be interested in their service.. -Paul

Disney does not allow outside vendors to wash/wax "inside" the campground at the sites.

They want them done in the grass overflow lot, not the paved one.
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff426 View Post
We hand wax and machine buff once a year. We wash the coach as often as we can( maybe once a month).
All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff,
Looking for a roof rack for our kayaks - do you have a recommendation based on your paddleboard research?
Do you like what you have?

Thanks
Steve
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:17 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Also, pretty much all of the rallies we have attended (Newmar, FMCA, FCOC) had a RV wash service available.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #38

We use Blue Beacon when on the road for wash which brings up a point. They've all done a nice job and it's cheap, but I ALWAYS tell them NO BRUSHES! Only pressure guns. If your detail person is using brushes of any type on the paint of a Newmar, you will see micro scratches in the paint. I made that mistake on our original Baystar. Depending on paint color and your acceptance level (or eyesight) I would think it's acceptable to some people. At Blue Beacon, the brushes they use have pre installed abrasives from the previous truck they cleaned.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #39

I ask around the RV park and always try to do someone local. Generally they will tell you where they are from, but a quick check of the Lic plate may.

1) There is a small town not far from me about 12k pop and I won a detail and wax at their shop one year.

So I make and appt and decide to wait on the detail job. I meet the owner and get to talk with him. What he told me was SHOCKING!

He is in the detail, wash, wax, minor dent repair and paint overspray business. He told me he has 26 mobil trucks that do that. I look around and only see 5 and I think surely he does not have 21 trucks out in this town of 12k! Right, instead they travel all over the US and he has a crew over in Germany and a crew over in Italy for 2 wks doing paint oversprays. They also do fire reconstruction and cleaning, death (mostly from guns. He had fire and a suicide cars in the bays they were working on. The fire came from a older fone that caught fire and they to clean, refresh and replace some of the interior. The gunshot left a lot of blood in the drivers seat and the bullet passed thru his head and out the roof.

The bulk of his work came from Insurance jobs.

He did tell me, in fact he showed me his products and they all came from 3M. He said they clean and wax exceptionally well, however they only last about 3-6 mo max.

2) We were up in Grapevine Tx for GrapeFest, a BIG 4 day event. I see a truck and crew working on a 5th not far from me, so I walk over and ask if I can get mine done. His reply was interesting: "no unless someone cancels, we are here till Sat (3 days) and then we are in Ok city".

His truck has Florida plates on it. I talk to the guy and they travel about 9 mo out of the year across the US. They travel to big shows, rodeos, car shows you name it where there would be work and they work from about 9 in the am till sundown. He was Quoting $10 per foot wash-wax.

Take away: This guy in a small rural town in Texas has a multi-million dollar international business...LOT of money in this business
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
I ask around the RV park and always try to do someone local. Generally they will tell you where they are from, but a quick check of the Lic plate may.

1) There is a small town not far from me about 12k pop and I won a detail and wax at their shop one year.

So I make and appt and decide to wait on the detail job. I meet the owner and get to talk with him. What he told me was SHOCKING!

He is in the detail, wash, wax, minor dent repair and paint overspray business. He told me he has 26 mobil trucks that do that. I look around and only see 5 and I think surely he does not have 21 trucks out in this town of 12k! Right, instead they travel all over the US and he has a crew over in Germany and a crew over in Italy for 2 wks doing paint oversprays. They also do fire reconstruction and cleaning, death (mostly from guns. He had fire and a suicide cars in the bays they were working on. The fire came from a older fone that caught fire and they to clean, refresh and replace some of the interior. The gunshot left a lot of blood in the drivers seat and the bullet passed thru his head and out the roof.

The bulk of his work came from Insurance jobs.

He did tell me, in fact he showed me his products and they all came from 3M. He said they clean and wax exceptionally well, however they only last about 3-6 mo max.

2) We were up in Grapevine Tx for GrapeFest, a BIG 4 day event. I see a truck and crew working on a 5th not far from me, so I walk over and ask if I can get mine done. His reply was interesting: "no unless someone cancels, we are here till Sat (3 days) and then we are in Ok city".

His truck has Florida plates on it. I talk to the guy and they travel about 9 mo out of the year across the US. They travel to big shows, rodeos, car shows you name it where there would be work and they work from about 9 in the am till sundown. He was Quoting $10 per foot wash-wax.

Take away: This guy in a small rural town in Texas has a multi-million dollar international business...LOT of money in this business
That's an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. I wondered how some of the Florida mobile guys I saw could cover the state. - You just explained how they can cover the world.

Clearly there is a demand for quality if the Grapefest guy was already fully booked.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
We use Blue Beacon when on the road for wash which brings up a point. They've all done a nice job and it's cheap, but I ALWAYS tell them NO BRUSHES! Only pressure guns. If your detail person is using brushes of any type on the paint of a Newmar, you will see micro scratches in the paint. I made that mistake on our original Baystar. Depending on paint color and your acceptance level (or eyesight) I would think it's acceptable to some people. At Blue Beacon, the brushes they use have pre installed abrasives from the previous truck they cleaned.
Thanks for the reminder. I was thinking I heard that Beacon has a different process for RVs vs. trucks, which might be related to brushes.

I'd heard a couple people say that Blue Beacon caused a problem. Maybe it was brushes? Made me not want to take a chance. Maybe checking local reviews would help?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Once a year seems to be enough if you get a good wax applied. We are in the Clearwater/St. Pete area and found a really good husband and wife team that does a wash and wax, wheels, tire, roof, glass and roof (no wax) job for $3.50 to $4.00 a foot including our toad. Takes about ~3 hours and they come out to wherever we are in the local area. Took awhile to find them and can’t find anyone who comes close to price and quality.

mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detailing, mobile wash, rv wash