Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mobile RV wash & wax

How often do you get your motorhome waxed (outside detailed) and how do you find a good provider?

Is there an average price per foot that is a good reference?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

We hand wax and machine buff once a year. We wash the coach as often as we can( maybe once a month).
All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff426 View Post
We hand wax and machine buff once a year. We wash the coach as often as we can( maybe once a month).
All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Thanks for the feedback. Do you do your own wax & buff? If so, how long does it take you?
Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Do you do your own wax & buff? If so, how long does it take you?
See my post (#8) in this recent tread. It will probably make your head spin (and also make you think I’m nuts ) if you read all the other links I refer to.

It’s up to you to determine how you want to balance time / effort / or (real) money to get it done (right), or just take your chances with “Two Schumcks in a Truck RV and Boat Wash Service” or a truck wash which will eventually (probably very quickly) get your RV paint to look like what your car’s paint looks like, which is what most people think is “good enough”, and if that’s good enough for you, then it’s good enough.

If your never really taken the effort to properly detail your cars (which even most “car guys don’t do well) you’re probably not going to get into detailing in any serious manner with your RV, given the time, effort and learning curve, but at least be aware of your options and set your own expectations as appropriate.

Just a closing note, even the (supposed) “better” RV detailers that service some of the ownership resorts usually make me queasy watching them (my wife tells me just look away and shut up). Are they “better than most”?; Probably so, but it’s a pretty low bar to start with. Unfortunately, it’s hard to know (even asking for references) who is “reasonably” qualified, has some idea of what they are doing, and at least tries to do a decent job (which are few and far between). Looking at their work first hand is probably best, if you know what you are looking for and ask the approprite questions.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wax-...nt-423046.html
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #5

I wash pretty regularly & wax about 3-4 times a year. I prefer the lazy, non hard shell wax though. When we stay at nice RV Parks many of them have RV wash/wax services. I have used those services previously with my other coach's & have been quite satisfied. Your best bet for finding a service that is used to handling nice equipment just might be while you are traveling.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
See my post (#8) in this recent tread. It will probably make your head spin (and also make you think I’m nuts ) if you read all the other links I refer to.
Just a closing note, even the (supposed) “better” RV detailers that service some of the ownership resorts usually make me queasy watching them (my wife tells me just look away and shut up). Are they “better than most”?; Probably so, but it’s a pretty low bar to start with. Unfortunately, it’s hard to know (even asking for references) who is “reasonably” qualified, has some idea of what they are doing, and at least tries to do a decent job (which are few and far between). Looking at their work first hand is probably best, if you know what you are looking for and ask the approprite questions.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wax-...nt-423046.html
Thank you for all the great info and links. If looking for someone else to do it, I agree that seeing their work first hand is best. But we aren't usually in a place long enough to witness their work. I guess there aren't any easy answers on this other than DIY to get it done right.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I wash pretty regularly & wax about 3-4 times a year. I prefer the lazy, non hard shell wax though. When we stay at nice RV Parks many of them have RV wash/wax services. I have used those services previously with my other coach's & have been quite satisfied. Your best bet for finding a service that is used to handling nice equipment just might be while you are traveling.
How would you go about finding someone good while traveling?
Old 12-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

I would love to get ours washed and waxed while we are at Fort Wilderness in Orlando (Disney) in January.

Has anyone on here done that?

Thanks in advance! - Paul
Old 12-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

There are several RV Detailers throughout Florida.
The going rate has been $3-4.00/foot for a complete wash, and $10.00/foot for a complete wash, wax and buff.
Roof treatment is extra.
Overall, fairly reasonable considering you may get 2-3 detailers spending 3-4 hours on a complete job.
Most detailers advertise in the RV parks and you can usually get a recommendation from others in the park.
Lazy Days in Tampa has a company that is exclusive to that park.
We have found in the Keys it's best to book well in advance.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with $10/ft for wash, and wax.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I was quoted $10 per foot for the mobile guy coming to my house and $7 per foot for taking it to the local detail shop and leaving it for a few days. Both prices included the roof.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like roughly $10/ft for everything is a good estimate.

Will have to ask in the parks after this one. (Rainy season here doesn't seem like a good time to do it.)

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have mine waxed every January and sometimes in between if the price is right. I have paid $5 to $9 per foot depending on location. Wash only, runs $1 to $3 per foot.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #14

We are in SW Florida and there are a couple mobile detail guys that do RVs in our park. I may use one of them because he just did my buddies rig and they did a really good job. Wash and hand wax using McGuires, took them just over 3 hours, $9 a foot.

They NEVER wax a roof but will apply a UV protectant for an extra fee.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detailing, mobile wash, rv wash