RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb MOD: Inverter Cutoff Switch

I found another one....so we've all read the magnum inverter fire stuff and I have no idea why Newmar does not install battery cutoff switches in the battery bay at least for the Inverter. I believe Entegra puts them in for both inverters and house batteries per that recent video we discussed (2020 Anthem by NIRVC/Angie). Not only is it a great idea to be able to kill the source to the Inverter in the event of a problem or fire (the only way to extinguish an electrical fire) but it's also for convenience as there are times you need to disconnect the inverter. Whether installing a ME-BMK or if your coach is going into paint as Newmar disconnects the inverter line which is smart. Sadly when I was there last getting a basement door replaced they didn't secure it beyond finger tight as I got to my CG post Newmar and had no power.

This is the simplest mod you'll probably ever do. You just need a battery disconnect switch, a piece of 4/0 battery cable, and if you want to conform then put it in 1 inch split loom with red electrical tape at each end.

Turn off the inverter at your ME-RC or ARC remote and also turn off the Inverter circuit breaker wherever your breaker panel is, mine is in the 1/2 bath. Disconnect from shore power is a good idea. Take a 9/16's wrench of your choosing and disconnect the red inverter line from the fuse in the battery bay. I like to actually hold on to the cable and pull it so it remains tight against the 3/8" threaded stud as it will spark and I don't like sparks! Once the nut, lock washer, and washer are off place the purchased 4/0 cable on the stud and secure it and connect it to the battery disconnect and attach the cable from the battery to the battery disconnect making sure, of course, the battery disconnect is OFF when doing this. Add split loom and take a photo of your proud work. Go back in the coach and set the clock on your ME-RC/ARC and turn on the circuit breaker in the half bath.

I secured the battery switch to the wall with two sheet metal screws. Prior to doing so I cut down 10-24 (2 - 1/2" bolts) to about 2-1/4" length so they would go into 10-24 nuts on the other side that I used some glue to hold in place until it's mounted against the wall. Then mount the base plate with the sheet metal screws then you can secure the other part of the battery disconnect and you're done.

Here are the parts minus the 10-24 2-1/2" screws and nuts you can get where you want.

1 x 300A Battery Disconnect (it's good up to 900A peak 500A for 5 min, 300A continuous)

4/0 battery cable with 3/8" tinned lugs so you don't have to install them yourself

1 inch split loom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.png
Views:	32
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	246691  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good idea. Did you place the switch on the "+" or the "-" cable?

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Positive/red is where it needs to be.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Neal,

This has been on my list as well...I have even had the switch for some time...just need to get it installed. :-/

I also know this comes with the Dr Martin seal of approval and recommendation.

And I agree it should come from the factory that way.

Thanks.

richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Hey Neal,

This has been on my list as well...I have even had the switch for some time...just need to get it installed. :-/

I also know this comes with the Dr Martin seal of approval and recommendation.

And I agree it should come from the factory that way.

Thanks.

Yes, Dr Martin approved and educated me on AWG vs 4/0. Weird wiring stuff. No wonder he still wonít certify my apprenticeship after two years. Iíll keep studying.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yes, Dr Martin approved and educated me on AWG vs 4/0. Weird wiring stuff. No wonder he still wonít certify my apprenticeship after two years. Iíll keep studying.
LOL. I agree...my certification is a ways off as well!

Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another MOD added to your list of MOD's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In preparing for my solar install I purchased double pole disconnects for both inverters and the house 12v feed. This way I won't have to worry about disconnecting the positive first.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Neal,

I realized you also upgraded the wire from 3/0 (which Newmar provides) to 4/0 between the fuse-switch-battery. It would be nice for Newmar to have run 4/0 all the way....

Rich

Old 05-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Hey Neal,

I realized you also upgraded the wire from 3/0 (which Newmar provides) to 4/0 between the fuse-switch-battery. It would be nice for Newmar to have run 4/0 all the way....

Rich
Yeah, I'm pretty smart right? Yeah, well, it was you know who's idea for that wire gauge :( (6 month extension to apprenticeship earned)

By the way, I think 3/4 inch split loom will work and may be better than the 1 inch I used. I ordered this to conform to the others better: https://amzn.to/2VSUsgr (OCD - sorry)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty smart right? Yeah, well, it was you know who's idea for that wire gauge :( (6 month extension to apprenticeship earned)

By the way, I think 3/4 inch split loom will work and may be better than the 1 inch I used. I ordered this to conform to the others better: https://amzn.to/2VSUsgr (OCD - sorry)
Ha. Yup. Same Jedi master... I have 4/0 wire ready to go...

Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You guys are funny...

I think rv mod'ing is just a way to reach whatever you want to call it... Self-actualization...Zen...Existentialism...

Anyway...I think the first Guru to be able to levitate is going to be Neal...he has far surpassed my Journey...on the long road to perfect mods...
Old 05-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I found another one....so we've all read the magnum inverter fire stuff and I have no idea why Newmar does not install battery cutoff switches in the battery bay at least for the Inverter. I believe Entegra puts them in for both inverters and house batteries per that recent video we discussed (2020 Anthem by NIRVC/Angie). Not only is it a great idea to be able to kill the source to the Inverter in the event of a problem or fire (the only way to extinguish an electrical fire) but it's also for convenience as there are times you need to disconnect the inverter. Whether installing a ME-BMK or if your coach is going into paint as Newmar disconnects the inverter line which is smart. Sadly when I was there last getting a basement door replaced they didn't secure it beyond finger tight as I got to my CG post Newmar and had no power.

This is the simplest mod you'll probably ever do. You just need a battery disconnect switch, a piece of 4/0 battery cable, and if you want to conform then put it in 1 inch split loom with red electrical tape at each end.

Turn off the inverter at your ME-RC or ARC remote and also turn off the Inverter circuit breaker wherever your breaker panel is, mine is in the 1/2 bath. Disconnect from shore power is a good idea. Take a 9/16's wrench of your choosing and disconnect the red inverter line from the fuse in the battery bay. I like to actually hold on to the cable and pull it so it remains tight against the 3/8" threaded stud as it will spark and I don't like sparks! Once the nut, lock washer, and washer are off place the purchased 4/0 cable on the stud and secure it and connect it to the battery disconnect and attach the cable from the battery to the battery disconnect making sure, of course, the battery disconnect is OFF when doing this. Add split loom and take a photo of your proud work. Go back in the coach and set the clock on your ME-RC/ARC and turn on the circuit breaker in the half bath.

I secured the battery switch to the wall with two sheet metal screws. Prior to doing so I cut down 10-24 (2 - 1/2" bolts) to about 2-1/4" length so they would go into 10-24 nuts on the other side that I used some glue to hold in place until it's mounted against the wall. Then mount the base plate with the sheet metal screws then you can secure the other part of the battery disconnect and you're done.

Here are the parts minus the 10-24 2-1/2" screws and nuts you can get where you want.

1 x 300A Battery Disconnect (it's good up to 900A peak 500A for 5 min, 300A continuous)

4/0 battery cable with 3/8" tinned lugs so you don't have to install them yourself

1 inch split loom
Beautiful simple mod. You and Don need to get together write a book (or produce a web site) for all who want to mod. Being a little chicken myself, one of these days I am going to mod away. I especially like Neil's since he has the same model as ours.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
I found another one....so we've all read the magnum inverter fire stuff
Actually, not all of us have read the magnum inverter fire stuff. I saw one report of an inverter fire but wasn't aware of it being a serious issue. My Google search returned 2 reports. 1 reported here and 1 on the FMCA forum. Can you elaborate or provide a few links please? Is it only a particular model or Magnums in general?

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, switch