RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb MOD: Summit Stainless Entry Door Latch

It appears I may have relapsed from mod therapy, I found another mod! I saw this about a year ago on one of the Facebook groups I'm in and in the recent Entegra Anthem video Angie pointed out the bling and I figured I'd check it out again. I contacted Summit Stainless and got a quote, $175 for the door latch replacement, $25 for stainless trim, so I ordered it. I was concerned it may be complicated but they say it's not, just a few screws and that's it (withholding for rest of story).

It's interesting how we pay for an upgrade to stainless basement latches (some may get it included) yet they don't do the entry door latch in stainless.

Today I decided to venture up to the coach in storage and knock this out, easy they say. When it comes to me and mods, there is no easy mod, there is no mod that goes as planned, there is no mod that doesn't have drama involved! This time I was prepared!

To remove the entry door latch it's just 3 x star screws on the inside. Disconnect the power door lock rod and out it comes. Note 1 - open the entry door and close the screen door so it's not in your way.

On the exterior latch is the lever that the power door lock rod hooks to, on that is a plastic part that locks the L shaped rod to keep it from coming out. You have to remove this which is not easy to do and insert it into the stainless one. Note 2 - the stainless lever needs to be drilled out as the hole is smaller than the original latch and the plastic lock mechanism won't fit. Without it the L shaped rod will come out, I proved that twice. I was thinking maybe Summit was smart to make a smaller hole and the L shaped rod would stay in - bad assumption.

Getting the 3 holes and the hole shabang to line up is not the easiest especially by yourself. With everything back together it's time to test. MOMENT OF BRILLIANCE HERE ==> UNLOCK AND/OR OPEN THE DRIVER'S SIDE WINDOW!!! If the test fails what are you going to do? Well my first test went fine, it worked, right up until I proved that plastic part was needed and the power lock didn't work. So off it came for redo #3. Back on it goes. Hmmm, something doesn't seem right but let me test. Pregnant pause....oh shat the door will not open now! What will I do? I have a trip planned next week and I can't get the door open again!!!!

So out comes the ladder, over to the driver's side window and in I go with the star screwdriver in my back pocket. Out come the three screws to dismantle the lock from the inside and the door opens again. It's actually a good thing to know! Remove, align, reinstall again and now it all works as it's supposed to.

One GREAT THING in doing this mod is you don't reuse your locks. The entry door latch assembly comes with its own (trimark) locks and keys both deadbolt and regular. We all know there is a common key situation out there where your key may work on another coach and vice versa. We all would love to have our locks redone to make things more secure and this is a way to do that. I tested my original keys to see if the new entry lock had the same common key lock and it did not. The locks are unique, so a great benefit of the mod.

So let's rehearse the most important part here. OPEN/UNLOCK YOUR DRIVER'S SIDE WINDOW in case your lock doesn't work properly. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. There is a trim ring I got that is essentially a 1.5-2" stainless band that goes around the entry lock but I am probably not going to install it as it may be too gaudy. We'll see, I'll see if anyone else installed it and how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	245635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	245636  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
It appears I may have relapsed from mod therapy, I found another mod! I saw this about a year ago on one of the Facebook groups I'm in and in the recent Entegra Anthem video Angie pointed out the bling and I figured I'd check it out again. I contacted Summit Stainless and got a quote, $175 for the door latch replacement, $25 for stainless trim, so I ordered it. I was concerned it may be complicated but they say it's not, just a few screws and that's it (withholding for rest of story).

It's interesting how we pay for an upgrade to stainless basement latches (some may get it included) yet they don't do the entry door latch in stainless.

Today I decided to venture up to the coach in storage and knock this out, easy they say. When it comes to me and mods, there is no easy mod, there is no mod that goes as planned, there is no mod that doesn't have drama involved! This time I was prepared!

To remove the entry door latch it's just 3 x star screws on the inside. Disconnect the power door lock rod and out it comes. Note 1 - open the entry door and close the screen door so it's not in your way.

On the exterior latch is the lever that the power door lock rod hooks to, on that is a plastic part that locks the L shaped rod to keep it from coming out. You have to remove this which is not easy to do and insert it into the stainless one. Note 2 - the stainless lever needs to be drilled out as the hole is smaller than the original latch and the plastic lock mechanism won't fit. Without it the L shaped rod will come out, I proved that twice. I was thinking maybe Summit was smart to make a smaller hole and the L shaped rod would stay in - bad assumption.

Getting the 3 holes and the hole shabang to line up is not the easiest especially by yourself. With everything back together it's time to test. MOMENT OF BRILLIANCE HERE ==> UNLOCK AND/OR OPEN THE DRIVER'S SIDE WINDOW!!! If the test fails what are you going to do? Well my first test went fine, it worked, right up until I proved that plastic part was needed and the power lock didn't work. So off it came for redo #3. Back on it goes. Hmmm, something doesn't seem right but let me test. Pregnant pause....oh shat the door will not open now! What will I do? I have a trip planned next week and I can't get the door open again!!!!

So out comes the ladder, over to the driver's side window and in I go with the star screwdriver in my back pocket. Out come the three screws to dismantle the lock from the inside and the door opens again. It's actually a good thing to know! Remove, align, reinstall again and now it all works as it's supposed to.

One GREAT THING in doing this mod is you don't reuse your locks. The entry door latch assembly comes with its own (trimark) locks and keys both deadbolt and regular. We all know there is a common key situation out there where your key may work on another coach and vice versa. We all would love to have our locks redone to make things more secure and this is a way to do that. I tested my original keys to see if the new entry lock had the same common key lock and it did not. The locks are unique, so a great benefit of the mod.

So let's rehearse the most important part here. OPEN/UNLOCK YOUR DRIVER'S SIDE WINDOW in case your lock doesn't work properly. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. There is a trim ring I got that is essentially a 1.5-2" stainless band that goes around the entry lock but I am probably not going to install it as it may be too gaudy. We'll see, I'll see if anyone else installed it and how it looks.
Nice, I have thought about doing and with the picture of yours and the key change Iím sold.

Next time you relapse, consider doing the summit steps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA076D7C-EED4-4205-ADBA-9E3A9E8E5585.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	245638  

NWIP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nice upgrade for sure.
1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #4

Very cool. Got to do this along with moving the ghetto clock to the front door.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
All - Neal C. Gosh, wish I had known you were going to do this. If you searched this site, on the Alpine Forum, last year, I posted a whole process on how to change the door lock assembly, but I locked myself out, and fortunately for me, the GF is small, and shimmied up through the outside garbage can access door. Mine was a struggle, as you say. I am NOT going to change to SS on that part. Black has worked on the present coach, and it will work on the new one. There will be things much more in need one day, those I will struggle with. But it looks good.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
MOD: Summit Stainless Entry Door Latch

Neal,

I like the black better. Can you change it back? K, thanks.

JK...looks snazzy and good job hanging in there!

Always feels better when you really have to work for it, right? RIGHT? Nah..it doesnít..I like it when it goes easy; which never happens for me either.

Have I told you about the botched AF1 Brake install in my Raptor? Should have done it myself...just canít trust ANYONE other than ourselves!
CaptainGizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That's a very classy upgrade. Is the new exterior plate, the same size or larger than the old black assembly? Do you have to line it up perfectly, (no primer showing) or does it cover more than the OEM lock. It looks slightly bigger.

I never liked how the black is hard to keep nice looking. It is a good match for the chrome bay locks.

Did you get any pictures of the plastic rod holder?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
That's a very classy upgrade. Is the new exterior plate, the same size or larger than the old black assembly? Do you have to line it up perfectly, (no primer showing) or does it cover more than the OEM lock. It looks slightly bigger.

I never liked how the black is hard to keep nice looking. It is a good match for the chrome bay locks.

Did you get any pictures of the plastic rod holder?

It is the same size or slightly smaller. I didnít measure. No, I didnít take a picture of the plastic hook. I just wanted it to be done If it was smaller and showed anything I would have added the trim ring which I did not install. Itís just attached with 3M tape. It seems like a great match part to part just different finish.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
So.....skip the trim ring and buy just the latch? It does look good with just the lock, no trim.
There goes another $175.00.

I buggered up the trim under my radiator door. I called Summit and the piece was $150.00. I thought....not so bad for a stupid mistake, but then they charged me $58.00 to ship a 48" piece.....ouch. Hopefully, their shipping wasn't too bad on the lock.

My wife was looking for a birthday present for me next week.....I guess she just found it!
Old 05-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Nice, when we first looked at Newmar's, I couldn't believe all the bling but no stainless door lock. You pay 3 or 4K for the stainless option but no door latch. I guess you need to purchase a Tiffin if you want that option
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered the kit directly from PTL engineering. This was the same handle, direct fit just all chrome.

Part #009-240 for $87.00.

This is for the 2019 door style, which is different than my 2013.

Included 2 sets of keys for both dead bolt and the auto lock.

PTL ENGINEERING
3333 John Conley Dr.
Lapeer, MI 48446
Phone: (810)664-2310

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Is the Summit latch assembly SS?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correction...it is chrome.
http://ptlengineering.com/handles-locking-mechanisms/

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
Nice, I have thought about doing and with the picture of yours and the key change Iím sold.

Next time you relapse, consider doing the summit steps
I agree, now you really need the Summit steps. Looks like the door handle would complete the package.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C06B9A15-DCCA-4EED-A8DE-493D1DC42218.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	687.4 KB
ID:	245674  

Jerry & Judy
Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018, Freightliner
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door